Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Watcha doin' in your half term?

I'm in A2 so imma have to be revising but so far I've done nothing wbu?
    Been trying to start revision... but end up losing focus =_=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Been trying to start revision... but end up losing focus =_=
    would help but on same boat so can't lol

but parental controls work for loads of people...

also don't listen to music with lyrics in it

i recommend the LotR soundtrack but that can get a bit intense lol

good luck though

ReputationRep:
    I have a ton of coursework and other crap to do , but the sleep is bliss XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    I have a ton of coursework and other crap to do , but the sleep is bliss XD
    yeah same - damn you computing A level - worst thing is I can't program for **** lol

Haha i try to make the most of my sleep but i always feel so guilty if i haven't revised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    would help but on same boat so can't lol

but parental controls work for loads of people...

also don't listen to music with lyrics in it

i recommend the LotR soundtrack but that can get a bit intense lol

good luck though

Unfortunately these method don't work for me

I only do two subjects, and it's only Biology that is killing me (the biochemistry side).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

I'm basically doing my homework, revising for the exams I have once I get back, cleaning the house (cause apparently half-term means I have no work from school) and... well, no wait, I have to do some groceries... Gosh, I miss yr 9 😭

So far, I've done some cleaning and took half of this day as a relaxation day... before someone realised that they forgot to do some food groceries so I had to do it instead. 😒

I'm planning to start my homework tomorrow though although I think I have to learn some of the topics I missed. Yay...

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

ReputationRep:
    Revise anddd that's about it c:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately these method don't work for me

I only do two subjects, and it's only Biology that is killing me (the biochemistry side).
    hmmm what examboard do you do? i do OCR A

i do bio too and we've just done respiration and photosynthesis (oxidative phosphorylation, chemiosmosis, ETC the different cycles all that)

we also did amino acids and all that last year and i do chemistry so if you need help with any of those things you can message me and I'll try to help :P

it would be revision for me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    I'm basically doing my homework, revising for the exams I have once I get back, cleaning the house (cause apparently half-term means I have no work from school) and... well, no wait, I have to do some groceries... Gosh, I miss yr 9 😭

So far, I've done some cleaning and took half of this day as a relaxation day... before someone realised that they forgot to do some food groceries so I had to do it instead. 😒

I'm planning to start my homework tomorrow though although I think I have to learn some of the topics I missed. Yay...

P.S.

haha no worries! what year are you in? Year 13 is the first year where my parents and everyone have just left me alone so I can revise in piece

so bloody grateful for that haha

try make a timetable lol, i know they're hard to stick to but even if it's just like
    1 hour homework every night
    sunday free
    monday = biology
    tuesday = chemistry
    etc

that would still be good cos you at least know what to do that day i just made mine so... gonna test it out and see if it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
    Revise anddd that's about it c:
    you have no homework?! lucky!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    hmmm what examboard do you do? i do OCR A

i do bio too and we've just done respiration and photosynthesis (oxidative phosphorylation, chemiosmosis, ETC the different cycles all that)

we also did amino acids and all that last year and i do chemistry so if you need help with any of those things you can message me and I'll try to help :P

it would be revision for me too
    AQA. We are doing the exact same thing. Although I've only revised for 30mins, I do understand aerobic and aerobic respiration (have yet to understand chemiosmosis and ETC), and also need to self teach all of photosynthesis by next week (we hardly ever learn anything in lesson, and most times our teacher teaches us way off the syllabus that it's hard to know what's going on).

What exactly is substrate level phosphorylation and oxidative phosphorylation?

I think I might just stick to Maths and programming =_=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    you have no homework?! lucky!!! :eek:
    Oh how that'd be wonderful...

I do have homework, but I like revising first and then doing my homework in the last day/ 2 days because I can force myself to do it that way. If I do my homework earlier, I end up spending even more time during the week doing it when I could have finished much more revision. c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

Literally in the same position :laugh:
    I have a few pieces of homework, coursework and I wanted to start revising for mocks and be slightly ahead.

So far I have managed to re-watch Star Wars. :vader:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

I'm also in A2, done no schoolwork whatsoever I really need to, I've got loads
    I'm also working this week and have got a party on Saturday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    haha no worries! what year are you in? Year 13 is the first year where my parents and everyone have just left me alone so I can revise in piece

so bloody grateful for that haha

try make a timetable lol, i know they're hard to stick to but even if it's just like
    1 hour homework every night
    sunday free
    monday = biology
    tuesday = chemistry
    etc

that would still be good cos you at least know what to do that day i just made mine so... gonna test it out and see if it works
    I'm in Year 12, specifically, that weird place where you have the responsibilities of an A-level student but you still have your drive and habits from GCSE.

Yeah, I wish I didn't answer but that would've been rude.

I actually have one but it doesn't work cause my family gives me this long and draining chores that makes you feel so tired and lethargic after doing it. And, I tell you, people underestimate packing clothes into a full closet. It's like tetris or something, just because there's a small little space in the corner doesn't mean that I can fit 3 trousers, a blazer, 5 shorts and a pair of shoes in that corner. It's simple physics y'know.

So yeah... I think I might be forced to just do my hw when I have the energy to do it although, I was recommended this schedule so I might try that and see if it works.

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    AQA. We are doing the exact same thing. Although I've only revised for 30mins, I do understand aerobic and aerobic respiration (have yet to understand chemiosmosis and ETC), and also need to self teach all of photosynthesis by next week (we hardly ever learn anything in lesson, and most times our teacher teaches us way off the syllabus that it's hard to know what's going on).

What exactly is substrate level phosphorylation and oxidative phosphorylation?

I think I might just stick to Maths and programming =_=
    okay for substrate level phosphorylation:

it basically means making ATP (by ADP + Pi) using the Pi from the phosphorylated intermediate

so you know how there are intermediate compounds before pyruvate? These are the substrates. They have phosphate groups attached to them that basically break off and join up with ADP to make ATP

that's what substrate level phosphorylation is

Now, oxidative phosphorylation has 2 parts

one part is the Electron Transport Chain and the other part is Chemiosmosis

Now I'm gonna use respiration not photosynthesis for this but the idea is basically the same

First part - ETC:
    - basically you've got 2 membranes in your mitochondria, your inner membrane and your outer membrane. Between the membranes you've got your intermembrane space - this is key. On the other side you've got the inside of your mitochondria (your matrix) so if it was layers it would be like:

outer membrane
    intermembrane space
    inner membrane
    matrix

-In your inner membrane you've got 4 complexes. We'll call them 1,2,3 and 4. They are embedded in your inner membrane's phospholipid bilayer. You've also got a mushroom looking thingy. This is called ATP synthase

Now we can get started

- so you've got your NADH from the Krebs cycle. It drops off it's hydrogens that it's carrying and goes back to pick up more from the earlier stages. These hydrogens are made up from 1 proton and 1 electron - so they split up into a proton and electron. The electron goes into complex 1, and jumps to complex 2, then 3, then 4, and then it goes out into the matrix. Why does it do this? Well by jumping from one complex to another it is RELEASING energy! Remember the proton you left behind? Yeah this energy is used to pump the proton through the complex to the other side (the intermembrane space).

Since the membrane is made from a phospholipid bilayer, it is impermeable to small ions remember? This means that the protons can get back out! So more and more of them get pumped into the intermembrane space, and they gather up there and so much of them builds up that they need to get out now! This is where the mushroom looking thingy comes into play. The protons CANNOT get out any other way than by going through the ATP synthase (mushroom). When they travel through the ATP synthase, the top part (mushroom head) will spin, attaching ADP and Pi and making ATP! This attaching of ADP and Pi to make ATP in THE PRESENCE OF OXYGEN is called Oxidative Phosphorylation. More on oxygen later. This is where ALLLLL the money (ATP) is made! The flow of these protons through the ATP synthase is called chemiosmosis .

Now that the protons are back out to the other side, they are reunited with the electrons that were pumped along the complexes! They join up together, reforming the hydrogens! But then, oxygen is found there too, so they all join up and make water (H2O). BECAUSE oxygen is also present it is called oxidative phosphorylation, but oxygen's ONLY role is to be the FINAL ELECTRON ACCEPTOR (because it's the last one to get the electrons (and protons) to make water!)

hope i helped?

ReputationRep:
    Just done more work and exercises. CIE past papers aren't really easy to find which's a bummer :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    I'm in Year 12, specifically, that weird place where you have the responsibilities of an A-level student but you still have your drive and habits from GCSE.

Yeah, I wish I didn't answer but that would've been rude.

I actually have one but it doesn't work cause my family gives me this long and draining chores that makes you feel so tired and lethargic after doing it. And, I tell you, people underestimate packing clothes into a full closet. It's like tetris or something, just because there's a small little space in the corner doesn't mean that I can fit 3 trousers, a blazer, 5 shorts and a pair of shoes in that corner. It's simple physics y'know.

So yeah... I think I might be forced to just do my hw when I have the energy to do it although, I was recommended this schedule so I might try that and see if it works.

P.S.

haha yeah i get you about the closet space oh well, maybe just do your chores like between study sessions? so say you study for an hour, then do chores for half an hour, then back to studying...

You could also sleep at 8/9 but wake up at 5am or something and do your studying then... and you can also stay after school because you can't be made to do chores if you're not at home lol

it will let your brain rest at least haha

I still have my GCSE habits lol... when you think you can walk in with no revision and pass - the shock you get when you see a U haha

yeah we'll try the schedule thing together... hopefully it does work! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Just done more work and exercises. CIE past papers aren't really easy to find which's a bummer :/
    hmmm... Do all the questions in the book? perhaps ask your teachers to create little module or topic exam booklets? Those are really helpful i find and your teachers probably have all the past papers ever in their "staff area" on your school's computers so just ask them if they could put them online or on your USB or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Literally in the same position :laugh:
    I have a few pieces of homework, coursework and I wanted to start revising for mocks and be slightly ahead.

So far I have managed to re-watch Star Wars. :vader:
    OMG i was doing that yesterday! You are me haha! :vader:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.