Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

State Opening of the Twenty-Second Parliament watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Geez, some people here are really salty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Really? We're still doing this?
    you know it could be an advanced AI master race, about to take over politics through a peculiar guise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I, Saoirse, do joyfully, sincerely and truly declare and affirm, that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the citizens of Britain, their descendants and our shared world.
    Since we're doing oaths, here goes:

I, cranbrook_aspie, do sincerely declare and affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the people and their descendants, without regard to race, faith, gender or sexuality, to the best of my ability and according to the law. So help me God!

Dearbhaím ó chroí agus a dhaingniú mise, cranbrook_aspie, go mbeidh mé dílis agus beidh air dílseacht fíor do na daoine agus a sliochtaigh, gan aird ar cine, reiligiún, inscne nó gnéasacht, chomh fada agus is mo chumas agus de réir an dlí. Mar sin, cabhrú liom Dia!

ReputationRep:
    I, cBay, solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to give the Liberals the same level of respect I do other parties when the Liberals' existence is based on joining any party that offers them a good deal. The Liberal deputy leader has declared he likes the Liberals to be king-makers; a party should exist to do more than base their political agenda on forming deals with who makes them the best offer. I hope the electorate are aware next election that a vote for the Liberals is a vote for the Greens, the Conservatives, Labour, UKIP, or the Centre Party depending on how the Liberals feel.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I find it difficult to give the same level of respect to the Liberals as I do other parties when the Liberal deputy leader has declared he likes the Liberals to be king-makers, and his party would not be contempt unless they were in government; a party should exist to do more than base their political agenda on forming deals with who makes them the best offer. I hope the electorate are aware next election that a vote for the Liberals is a vote for the Greens, the Centre Party, Labour, the Conservatives, or UKIP depending on how the party feels proceeding the election.
    I think it's hilarious that your opinion of me, which is quite clearly fairly low, allows you to have less respect for my party.

I do like it when we are Kingmakers, I do not deny that for a single second. It allows us to push forward moderate, liberal policies.

In a private conversation between ourselves, I said I would only be content if we were in government, given the way the seats played out, as if we were not in government, we'd be left with a ConUKIP government. No thanks. Furthermore, being in Government with Labour gives us a chance to push through moderate, liberal policies, which I hope you will see over the coming term.

Also Nigel, Why so salty?

Edit: I also find your lack of respect for our private conversation shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I Congratulate the Liberals on once again being in government again . And I find it hard see this government lasting until the end of the term . Not because of the members in it or the polices but because we have had to VONCs this year and a few months back the liberals left the coalition. I wish the governing parties well and lets hope they prove me wrong and hopefully we can have a stable government until the end of the term
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As I said, she can go right ahead. Support for a republic will treble overnight. Please, go for it

Mainly due to a slightly lower turnout at the end of term and a relatively large number of abstentions, the majority as conventionally calculated on bills (Ayes minus Nays) was 12 with only 11 MPs in opposition. It was supported by members from every party in the House including a UKIP MP, a former Conservative Prime Minister, and the Liberal leader. It's an exemplar of the kind of quality legislation I hope we will produce much more of this term.
    Even of those that voted you barely had a majority, and if you want to go for the "a person from every party" then surely most Acts, and bills even, will also be prime examples of polypartisanship, hell, I think even the hunting repeal attempt nearly had all parties, definitely had Con-Kip-Lib-Lab
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If we're swearing in can somebody at least do it properly

I Jammy Duel swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I hazzer1998 swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I, PetrosAC, do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I, PetrosAC, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to*Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law.
    Uzer has the correct one on the first page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Even of those that voted you barely had a majority, and if you want to go for the "a person from every party" then surely most Acts, and bills even, will also be prime examples of polypartisanship, hell, I think even the hunting repeal attempt nearly had all parties, definitely had Con-Kip-Lib-Lab
    I hardly think that Liberal leaders and Tory Prime Ministers would be voting for it if it was as unreasonable a reform of treason laws as you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    *singing the new national anthem 'Hello'*
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If we're swearing in can somebody at least do it properly

I Jammy Duel swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.
    Except that isn't the proper way now... Back in parliament XX we changed it to an agnostic, republican version as I recall.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Uzer has the correct one on the first page
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I hardly think that Liberal leaders and Tory Prime Ministers would be voting for it if it was as unreasonable a reform of treason laws as you suggest.
    As I stated multiple times in the thread, it was done in such a way as to try to coerce the right into voting for it, bundling changes in the penalties for terrorism offences, something that is unrelated to treason, in with the attempts to decriminalise republicanism; and as I also said at the time, it unnecessarily repeals up to 6 pieces of legislation (not sure it's all 6, but definitely some of them), which is sloppy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Except that isn't the proper way now... Back in parliament XX we changed it to an agnostic, republican version as I recall.
    You should know by know that I'm going to reject these absurdities that you rabid lefties come out with, I would like to see you doing whatever it is you call it to a non existent position
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So the correct version is

Under TSR law that is.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    So the correct version is

Under TSR law that is.
    But the Great Repeal.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.