Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MHoC Political Compass 2015 watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Rakas21
    Any reason why my one from last year needs to go on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Rakas21
    Any reason why my one from last year needs to go on?
    Just a copy and paste job to increase the sample.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Just a copy and paste job to increase the sample.
    In addition to mine from this year??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    In addition to mine from this year??
    I deleted your old one. Birch is the one compiling everything in the thread i think.

ReputationRep:
    Your Political Compass
    Economic Left/Right: -8.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

I think this one has me as far too libertarian just because the questions on the liberal/authoritarian axis are about things which only Republican nutjobs in the US would be authoritarian on. If it were more about property rights, markets or paternalism, I'd come up much more authoritarian I think.

Doing the political spectrum it initially seems like *******s because it throws the term 'right' around willy-nilly (for instance, I strongly agree with the statement 'everyone should have access to healthcare provided by the state' but strongly disagree with the statement 'access to healthcare is a right'; the fact that they use the latter makes me think that the algorithm might have this down as a lib-right answer).

However, the result is closer to where I think I am:

Left: 7.1
    Authoritarian: 0.42

Foreign policy: -4.81 (non-interventionalist)
    Culture: -8.35 (cultural liberal)

Third one doesn't present results.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)

I'm an extremist :ahee:
    well... being libertarian is odd these days with extreme left so I don't think your insanely extreme.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    hmm, yeah I guess that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    well... being libertarian is odd these days with extreme left so I don't think your insanely extreme.
    It's not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    It's not.
    Most left wing parties in the uk are very authoritarian.

ReputationRep:
    Most left wing parties in the uk are very authoritarian.
    Depends, The Greens aren't and they're the biggest. The rest are small and insignificant and Labour are centre-left.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    Depends, The Greens aren't and they're the biggest. The rest are small and insignificant and Labour are centre-left.
    the greens are not the biggest... Labour is and now more than ever they are very left and very authoritarian (although yes blair wasn't, brown was centre-left, same with ed but corbyn is definitely solid left wing). But yes the greens are not authoritarian however... their views on the army are.

ReputationRep:
    the greens are not the biggest... Labour is and now more than ever they are very left and very authoritarian (although yes blair wasn't, brown was centre-left, same with ed but corbyn is definitely solid left wing). But yes the greens are not authoritarian however... their views on the army are.
    However as a party Labour are still centre-left and you mentioned extreme left which Corbyn wouldn't fit into. Not wanting much of an army is hardly authoritarian.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly are Labour authoritarian? They're far too liberal on a lot of matters.

ReputationRep:
    What about Corbyn is authoritarian? I expect if you answered this questions based on statements he's made over the years he goes firmly into the libertarian left box.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    How exactly are Labour authoritarian? They're far too liberal on a lot of matters.
    just noted your profile picture. They want a lot of governmental involvement including nationalisation and involvement of wages/workers. There is less personal freedom as the state is involved more, also they want to remain in the eu, which restricts the countries freedom somewhat in laws which therefore reduces the freedom of the people.

ReputationRep:
    just noted your profile picture. They want a lot of governmental involvement including nationalisation and involvement of wages/workers. There is less personal freedom as the state is involved more, also they want to remain in the eu, which restricts the countries freedom somewhat in laws which therefore reduces the freedom of the people.
    State intervention in the economy is a necessary element of leftism, and therefore cannot be said really to be authoritarian in a left-wing party.

Your EU spiel is complete *******s. It restricts the state's freedom; NOT the freedom of individuals beyond the extent to which substantive EU law does (but many of these laws would likely be enacted in the UK anyway).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Birchington I don't suppose that you could send out a mass PM to all the parties linking them to this thread?
    I'll re-send a reminder in my update when all MPs are confirmed and admitted. Party leaders are welcome to promote this in their own subforum/PM updates.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    1445985842156.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Economic Left/Right: -4.13
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.97

It looks like we should switch places.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.