Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sinister sausage - will you still eat processed meat? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Will you still eat processed/red meat?
    I'll still eat it
    29.47%
    I'll cut down the amount of meat I eat
    25.19%
    I'm going vegetarian/vegan
    11.50%
    Don't care. Everything gives you cancer these days
    33.84%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    The air that we breathe and water we drink supposedly both give us cancer. Can't just keep avoiding things because they might give us cancer.
    It's working for the Russians and Japanese.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    It's working for the Russians and Japanese.
    The Russians are a bunch of miserable *******s, the Japanese have all gone mental. That's what happens when you give up the things you love.

ReputationRep:
    The Russians are a bunch of miserable *******s, the Japanese have all gone mental. That's what happens when you give up the things you love.
    Do you want a free house?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do you want a free house?
    Nah I get lonely.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by duckd0nald)
    I didn't say "all vegans." I just said "militant vegans."

I'm not one to judge diets, either, but the moment someone attempts to impose their lifestyle choices on me, that is when I can consider them militant. You don't seem like a militant vegan at all.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Congratulations, you are not a militant vegan and therefore your post was a waste of time.
    Hi Both,

I have been vegan for two years and I rarely discuss my lifestyle. If anything it's brought up by everyone around me when they see what i'm eating, wonder why i never eat meat, pass comments about how my food looks weird or any other underhanded remarks.

I believe, if anything, the world is bombarded by advertising for eating meat and meat eating on a global scale is commonplace. When someone chooses to go against the norm by taking up vegetarianism or veganism there seems to be many people who are angry about this and feel that vegans and vegetarians 'judge' meat eaters. Most of us were meat eaters at one point in time and i remember my mentality then as well, i thought vegans were freaks who ate nothing. When people find out i'm vegan now they always have some remark to say or joke to make about my lifestyle and why i refrain from animal products, if anything i come across militant meat eaters on a daily basis who make comments like 'i'll never stop eating meat couldn't stop me from eating meat' - this doesn't affect me, i choose not to eat it for many reasons but these comments come so often and unprompted 99% of the time. I think because there are so few vegans in the world (in comparison of meat eaters) that due to this going against the common diet of eating meat you would believe most vegans to be militant.

I fully believe that everyone is free to live their own life and I don't judge, however, i think everyone should do the best they can to educate themselves. I think when studies like this are released everyone has something to say about the study in regards to how ridiculous the stats are or how it's only a small percentile who are affected. If this weren't a large scale impact study then why would WHO release these stats? Why are these stats being shared on every major news platform across the globe?

I don't impose my lifestyle choice on anyone but why is my lifestyle choice mocked and questioned so much and with such anger especially unprompted? This I will never understand...

ReputationRep:
    The chances of it actually giving me cancer are tiny, sausages are not particularly high on the list of things that might kill me.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I get lonely.
    I'm sure you have friends who agree with the views you've expressed:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...levels-tsunami

By all means, don't let these quacks tell you that there's a risk of cancer.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm sure you have friends who agree with the views you've expressed:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...levels-tsunami

By all means, don't let these quacks tell you that there's a risk of cancer.
    Why must you keep confusing me with someone who gives a **** about your inane semi off-topic ramblings?

ReputationRep:
    Why must you keep confusing me with someone who gives a **** about your inane semi off-topic ramblings?
    Oh dear. It seems your previous statement has become unsustainable. One might even say it is the cancer of the internet!

By all means, resort to the good old ad hom.

Unless you want to go live in one of those houses?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh dear. It seems your previous statement has become unsustainable. One might even say it is the cancer of the internet!

By all means, resort to the good old ad hom.

Unless you want to go live in one of those houses?
    You, my dear, are genuinely bat**** crazy.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take a chance and carry on eating it. Bacon sandwiches, salamis, hams, Mennonite farmer's sausage, Greek food (lamb and pork) are just to good not to enjoy. Probably won't kill me but it's not as if I am going to live forever anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You, my dear, are genuinely bat**** crazy.
    Do you see the difference between a blanket statement and a risk assessment Woody? The quote below is an example of a risk assessment. It isn't to disregard what likely will and won't give us cancer but instead, weights up the statistical likelihood of having cancer as a result of eating those things vs the enjoyment of continuing to eat those things.

(Original post by Howard)
    I'll take a chance and carry on eating it. Bacon sandwiches, salamis, hams, Mennonite farmer's sausage, Greek food (lamb and pork) are just to good not to enjoy. Probably won't kill me but it's not as if I am going to live forever anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do you see the difference between a blanket statement and a risk assessment Woody? The quote below is an example of a risk assessment. It isn't to disregard what likely will and won't give us cancer but instead, weights up the statistical likelihood of having cancer as a result of eating those things vs the enjoyment of continuing to eat those things.
    My point still stands, and I feel the point is the same as the one you've quoted - it might shorten my life span, but it's worth it. It's futile just deciding to cut out everything that might be a bit bad for you when the very air that we breathe is polluted and harmful to our bodies.

The reason I called you crazy, by the way, is because I've never seen someone to over-analyse to such a great degree, then go off on a tangent about something only loosely related and talk like it's highly relevant. I genuinely wonder WTF you're talking about half the time :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The air that we breathe and water we drink supposedly both give us cancer. Can't just keep avoiding things because they might give us cancer.
    This point you mean?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This point you mean?
    That point exactly. As I said, the air we breathe and water we consume have the potential to give us cancer, but we still consume them because we need them. Nearly everything we do supposedly increases the risk of cancer. Stopping eating sausages would be like removing a cup of water from a large swimming pool and expecting a significant decrease in the chance that your child will drown in it. Whilst it will have indeed reduced, the magnitude of the reduction is likely insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    That point exactly. As I said, the air we breathe and water we consume have the potential to give us cancer, but we still consume them because we need them. Nearly everything we do supposedly increases the risk of cancer. Stopping eating sausages would be like removing a cup of water from a large swimming pool and expecting a significant decrease in the chance that your child will drown in it. Whilst it will have indeed reduced, the magnitude of the reduction is likely insignificant.
    Implication that we need sausages...interesting one.

Flawed comparison.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Implication that we need sausages...interesting one.

Flawed comparison.
    Nope, you've put 2 & 2 together there and made 3. I didn't say we needed sausages. If we needed them, why would I suggest stopping eating them? My point was, with all these things that we do each and every day that are necessary for our survival, yet are giving us cancer and other diseases at the same time, is cutting out something we enjoy (i.e. not NEED) really going to make a significant difference? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you've put 2 & 2 together there and made 3. I didn't say we needed sausages. If we needed them, why would I suggest stopping eating them?

You implied we need them, otherwise why mention things we need along side them? Communication isn't a strong point of yours is it?

So your argument is as follows then?
    Some things we need may cause us cancer, but we should still use such things as we do need them. Ergo, we should use things we don't need that may also cause us cancer.

Or is it:
    If we needed sausages we should eat them regardless of their ability to cause us cancer as we need them.
    We don't need sausages.
    Sausages do increase our chances of getting cancer.
    Therefore, eat sausages.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You implied we need them, otherwise why mention things we need along side them? Communication isn't a strong point of yours is it?

So your argument is as follows then?
    Some things we need may cause us cancer, but we should still use such things as we do need them. Ergo, we should use things we don't need that may also cause us cancer.

Or is it:
    If we needed sausages we should eat them regardless of their ability to cause us cancer as we need them.
    We don't need sausages.
    Sausages do increase our chances of getting cancer.
    Therefore, eat sausages.
    My communication is fine, it's your ability to interpret information that's the issue, you're always doing it around these forums from what I see as well as adding irrelevant information of your own.

You've taken two points made separately and put them together to draw your own conclusion, all the while missing the point I was making, again. Please re-read my previous post, as my point has already been made. I'll re-iterate, though - with all the things we consume that we NEED already increasing the risk of cancer, I see it futile to cut out the things we do NOT NEED, but ENJOY just because they might also increase the risk of cancer. I mentioned the things we need first to make the point that the very things that we need are already killing us, so why fuss over other the potential but not at all definite health implications of consuming things that we don't need but make our lives more enjoyable?

ReputationRep:
    My communication is fine, it's your ability to interpret information that's the issue, you're always doing it around these forums from what I see as well as adding irrelevant information of your own.

You've taken two points made separately and put them together to draw your own conclusion, all the while missing the point I was making, again. Please re-read my previous post, as my point has already been made. I'll re-iterate, though - with all the things we consume that we NEED already increasing the risk of cancer, I see it futile to cut out the things we do NOT NEED, but ENJOY just because they might also increase the risk of cancer. I mentioned the things we need first to make the point that the very things that we need are already killing us, so why fuss over other the potential but not at all definite health implications of consuming things that we don't need but make our lives more enjoyable?
    Well that's down to the consumer isn't it. But making a generalization against taking on board such data is stupid. You had stated first that we shouldn't avoid things on the basis that they 'might' give us cancer.

Hence I invited you to claim a house. You seemed to find this notion somehow more ridiculous than the point you had previously communicate.

Then you started talking about what we need for some reason. But that has no bearing on what we want. And therefore, the risks are optional. The contrast between those things is therefore, flawed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.