Ohh, believe me Bertha, I had plenty
    are you a good **********er?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    are you a good **********er?
    I have no gag reflex, so I'm pretty good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    what's your definition of a deep conversation then? lol. And there are different levels of drunk btw. As in someone might have just had a few sips of alcohol and just became less shy and more talkative.
    Solving the problems of abiogenesis and anthropology. Political philosophy. Religion. Human psychology. International relationships. Philosophy of religion. Medicine. Anything to do with biology. History...

Oh... Academia. But I don't just mean that. Just really discussing emotional music. Sitting there crying with one another. Or expressing one's sheer rage about some tangential topic.

I suppose the more personally intimate stuff does count too such as sharing personal woes and past woes, future aspirations and the reasoning behind such etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    They weren't friends in the first place. They were just mates. I never trusted any of them. I never shared any important life details with them. Never would go out and do something meaningful with one or two of them, only loiter about with the whole crew. Just bull****. Waste of time. I had to maintain a facade the whole time I spent time with them. But in high school I got on with literally everyone. But somehow I didn't care back then. Maybe I had no ambition or life goals set out so I just sort of drifted along meaningless. I try to keep myself on track now and it puts others off and... I dunno I just having been able to make any new friends at university. But I am not interested in mates. I want friends.
    I think having someone whom you can tell everything is a big must. It honestly changes a lot. From what you said, it sounds like you didn't have the best experience with friends in the past, maybe thats what is triggering your inability to find friends.. You're not trying to make friends because it could be that you think they will disappoint you like your 'mates' did?
    You have to 'force' yourself to engage in some activities if you want to help your current situation. But bringing yourself down won't help, you need to be willing to change it

ReputationRep:
    Solving the problems of abiogenesis and anthropology. Political philosophy. Religion. Human psychology. International relationships. Philosophy of religion. Medicine. Anything to do with biology. History...

Oh... Academia. But I don't just mean that. Just really discussing emotional music. Sitting there crying with one another. Or expressing one's sheer rage about some tangential topic.

I suppose the more personally intimate stuff does count too such as sharing personal woes and past woes, future aspirations and the reasoning behind such etc.
    Ah right. Ye you'l have to find someone whos interested in the same topics as you since everyone has their own. Thing is they're all opinion based and will end up in disagreement with the other person most of the time lol. So I generally don't go into those topics too deeply. And most other people probably feel the same. A lot of the time when these topics come up you'l get people sitting there silently disagreeing with everything one person is saying but not bringing it up because it will cause an argument or whatever.

ye that last one is what I call a deep conversation tbh. The other stuff you mentioned are just your hobbies and interests sort of thing imo.

Eh it wasn't bad. Got a bit done :P I mostly focus on ethics, metaphysics and the philosophy of science but it is an absurdly varied subject. So that's, respectively and very broadly, looking at what is the nature of good and bad and how can we act good/bad and thus how ought we act and not act? What is the nature of reality - what constitutes reality, how ought we view it, catergorise it and understand it? And then what is science, what is the best way for science to operate? When is using science optimal compared to other methods of enquiry, what are the bounds of science and so on...

I just wish people I meet IRL could make me smile At least... Gah. It's always so transient and unreliable. meh meh meh.

Hmm. I need TSR tbh or I'd go totally cookoo or worse.
    Seems interesting. Oh gosh, maybe I should go into Philosophy :beard:. I annoy my physics teacher like crazy with asking 'why?' to everything?

Someone has probably made you smile and you haven't realized it .

How do you find TSR helps you?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. Ye you'l have to find someone whos interested in the same topics as you since everyone has their own. Thing is they're all opinion based and will end up in disagreement with the other person most of the time lol. So I generally don't go into those topics too deeply. And most other people probably feel the same. A lot of the time when these topics come up you'l get people sitting there silently disagreeing with everything one person is saying but not bringing it up because it will cause an argument or whatever.

ye that last one is what I call a deep conversation tbh. The other stuff you mentioned are just your hobbies and interests sort of thing imo.
    That's immature and silly. They are not opinion based. Clearly these questions have objective answers otherwise they would not be discussed. Discussing something that cannot have a correct answer is a total waste of time. But in saying this I'm not saying you change how you behave Mr Chicken so please don't take offence. Just saying you'd bore me to death and I'd probably bore you to death too lol. It seems I'd bore too many people >_>

ReputationRep:
    The muffled sounds in lectures drive u crazy? Thats a bit odd, tbh. Have u got o.c.d or aspeegers or something?

ReputationRep:
    That's immature and silly. They are not opinion based. Clearly these questions have objective answers otherwise they would not be discussed. Discussing something that cannot have a correct answer is a total waste of time. But in saying this I'm not saying you change how you behave Mr Chicken so please don't take offence. Just saying you'd bore me to death and I'd probably bore you to death too lol. It seems I'd bore too many people >_>

See you're the type of person no one wants to have these types of discussions with lmao. Because you talk as if your opinion is the only correct one. Religion and human psychology (mostly) have no answers yet lol. So when people talk about these subjects they're putting forth their opinions. And none are more correct than another. Until someone proves otherwise.

I think you frustrate people rather than bore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Seems interesting. Oh gosh, maybe I should go into Philosophy :beard:. I annoy my physics teacher like crazy with asking 'why?' to everything?

Someone has probably made you smile and you haven't realized it .

How do you find TSR helps you?
    Well yeah, I do the more sciency side of it tbh. I much prefer that. I HATE HATE HATE when people say philosophy is just opinions and no right answer. Omg that couldn't be more wrong. Philosophy is what teaches us the right answer... When our philosophical understanding of a topic becomes good enough to warrant near-certainty in answers about that domain of discourse then we cease to call it philosophy and give it its own name. Hence natural physics is no longer philosophy by name. Well theoretical physics IS still philosophy - it's just part of meta-physics. The philosophy comes first. Without the theoretical physics we'd never have the natural physics. And vice versa really. It's an interesting relationship. And then when you examine science and other systems of gaining knowledge... Phew. **** gets complicated. Of course then there's the whole realm of logic and the underlying basis for mathematics and computer science which is something I've only delved in a tiny bit but is VERY interesting, albeit very very complicated and grueling to trawl through.

It is certainly an interesting topic and some aspects of it are very useful for our understanding of the world. However, some people study medieval philosophy of classical philosophy... Which... Is frankly useless. Also, continental philosophy is pretty useless. So. Yeah. The discipline is gigantic. Some parts very useful, some not. Generally the sciency stuff is known as analytic philosophy and that is very good. The more arty-farty, meaningless pseudo-science stuff is continental philosophy. But of course those big catch-all terms are huge generalisations. There's some analytic philosophy that is crap and some continental philosophy that is great. And I know **** all about eastern or other types of philosophies!

Sure they have! Just... it's all transient and the fact that I forgot the smile is... Ahhh it's not the same.

I can be 100% open to everyone on here and people actually listen since there's no need for personal, temporal or emotional investment. Also I have greater access to people in general. Talking to people intimately on here helps me a lot wiht my loneliness and geenral sanity.

ReputationRep:

See you're the type of person no one wants to have these types of discussions with lmao. Because you talk as if your opinion is the only correct one. Religion and human psychology (mostly) have no answers yet lol. So when people talk about these subjects they're putting forth their opinions. And none are more correct than another. Until someone proves otherwise.
    No, you just seem to miss the point entirely - we've discussed this ourselves on TSR a billion times mate, lol. Seriously. I dunno if you remember...

I'm not saying that I must be right just because I'm saying that I can be right & I think I am right. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend :L

And that's nonsense. If I say God exists and you say God doesn't, regardless of whether either of us can proven it, ultimately one of us is right and the other is wrong. Because either it does or doesn't (given the typical definition of God). To just say "nobody is right or wrong" is childish and missing the point - if that was the case we wouldn't be discussing such things in the first place and I guess that attitude is precisely why you have so little interest discussing them but that attitude isn't going to get us answers is it?

ReputationRep:
    U need to sort out ur aversion to noise and such, did u study long distance in ur first year God I hope this doesnt happen to me. Atleast u speak to people on the phone.

ReputationRep:
    No, you just seem to miss the point entirely - we've discussed this ourselves on TSR a billion times mate, lol. Seriously. I dunno if you remember...

I'm not saying that I must be right just because I'm saying that I can be right & I think I am right. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend :L
    Lol nah I understand that there are right answers. They just haven't been discovered yet. Which is why these subjects are always opinions/theories when they come up in conversation.

Problem is the way you phrase your answers is as if you're stating facts. Rather than saying 'I believe this because of this.' Which is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nununu)
    U need to sort out ur aversion to noise and such, did u study long distance in ur first year God I hope this doesnt happen to me. Atleast u speak to people on the phone.
    Eh, I studied at campus, but I was travelling from home. Done that every year. I do hate speaking on the phone though tbh but that's more to with the awkwardness of not being able to analyse body language and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Lol nah I understand that there are right answers. They just haven't been discovered yet. Which is why these subjects are always opinions/theories when they come up in conversation.

Problem is the way you phrase your answers is as if you're stating facts. Rather than saying 'I believe this because of this.' Which is annoying.
    I don't know why it annoys you... It's bloody obvious that when someone says something that is not an a priori truth that they mean "I believe that X is a fact/the truth" whenever they say "X is a fact".

It shouldn't need to be explicitly specified that it is something we can't be certain of - or I'd just show a proof of it rather than debate it, or I would simply refuse to debate it since debating it would be futile. An opinion is not the same thing as a hypothesis of a theory...

The phrase "God exists" ought to be interpreted when uttered by a person in exactly the same way as "I believe God exists". It is just redundant to always throw the "I believe" in there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nununu)
    The muffled sounds in lectures drive u crazy? Thats a bit odd, tbh. Have u got o.c.d or aspeegers or something?
    And no, I have neither of those conditions lmao. I am just psychologically sensitive...

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:
    introverted life can be cool tbh

ReputationRep:
    What's that tongue made of?

ReputationRep:
    A picture/video of a man crush and lady crush you can think of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    What's that tongue made of?
    It's coated in silver.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.