Turn on thread page Beta

How do I become more ''British''? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    the queen is not british in this case, shes german
    Aye mate!
    I don't understand people who thing you must be 100% British to be 'British'. The argument just doesn't seem to stand up at all. As in your example, our own Queen being of German ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    Drink tea and complain about the weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    If say the physiognomy was that of a white European person, but not 'pure white', then the person isn't 'British'? Saying yes would be very contentious, in that drawing a line would be arbitrary. Soon enough, no one will be British if that is what to be British is.

P.S. Why would it even matter what ethnicity you are? Britain isn't just people with ancestry from Britain, so really it would be fair to exclude those that have been born here and brought up as 'British'.
    My answer would be yes. To be considered British, you must be of a pure white European race. It's a clear cut distinction - you're either pure white or you're not.

Ethnicity is very important in this context, because many non-British people wrongly consider themselves to be British despite no being pure white. It baffles me. You can't be brought up as British, that doesn't make sense in my mind. You can be raised in Britain your entire life, your family may have lived in Britain through several generations and you can speak the language and try to imitate British culture, but none of that makes you British. To be British, you must be of the appropriate race, you can't be mixed race, you can't be African or Asian. You have to be pure white. It really bothers me when non-British people class themselves as British. There's no need to deny one's heritage and roots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That 2Fase)
    My answer would be yes. To be considered British, you must be of a pure white European race. It's a clear cut distinction - you're either pure white or you're not.

Ethnicity is very important in this context, because many non-British people wrongly consider themselves to be British despite no being pure white. It baffles me. You can't be brought up as British, that doesn't make sense in my mind. You can be raised in Britain your entire life, your family may have lived in Britain through several generations and you can speak the language and try to imitate British culture, but none of that makes you British. To be British, you must be of the appropriate race, you can't be mixed race, you can't be African or Asian. You have to be pure white. It really bothers me when non-British people class themselves as British. There's no need to deny one's heritage and roots.
    But what would you say it means to be British?

I would strongly state that I am British, even though I am English and half Moroccan

I mean, I don't sound exactly like Ralph Fiennes, and I'm not a Football nut... but someone with all the attitudes and views as any other educated person in England.
    Just because you are half of something else doesn't necessarily mean you look very different to a person of total British ancestry - I look not much different to anyone else other than a bit tanned and have decided to grow a beard.

Also in about 30 years time by your criteria there will be practically no one left you deem 'British'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That 2Fase)
    Lol, no no no. Doesn't matter whether he's lived here for a thousand years, if he's not pure white race then he's not British and neither are you, I'm sorry. Attempting to adopt British culture can never make you British if you're not white European. It's purely based on race and ethnicity.
    So, if my ancestry is 30% English, 30% Scottish, 20% Irish, and 10% German... but I'm American. Then am I still more British than a British citizen of another ethnicity?

It seems like if you exclude people based on ethnicity, then you're also stuck including people based on ethnicity... and there's a few million "non-Hispanic Whites" in the US that you would have to consider ethnically British by that standard. A lot of them are xenophobic rural country folk with bad teeth and thick Southern drawls. They constantly complain about people with poor English skills crossing the southern border and say their jobs are being taken by foreigners. Are you sure you want to define British in a way that would cause you to be associated with us? LOL.

I mean, if you want to exclude Jose, Abdul, and Tao from being British... then you're stuck conceding that Billy-Bob, Eustice, and Houston are British in the sense you're talking about (as much as you probably wish they weren't).

ReputationRep:
    Step 1: Change your name to one of the following:
    • Humphrey
    • Geoffrey
    • Hubert
    • Perceval
    Step 2: Drink lots of tea (remember to exhale and say 'that's a lovely cuppa'), eat a full English everyday for breakfast, comment on the weather often (complain about rain and enjoy temperatures of above 8 degrees Celsius).

Step 3: Get yourself some tweed, a bowler hat, a top hat, a silver topped cane, drive a Rolls Royce or Bentley.

Step 4: Turn your nose up at the plebs and other such low life. Also you must have an intense hatred of Scots, the French, Russians and possibly Americans and Arabs.

Good luck! If you follow all these steps to the letter you will be a good old English chap in no time at all! If you struggle, remember stiff upper lip and all, old bean!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    Drink beer, be bald, watch football, live on benefits and lose one of your tooth and you win your dream
    I think that that is one of the best answers I have ever read on TSR.... but that pretty much sums it all up

ReputationRep:
    ...I'm not sure "Asian" is a gender

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Animagus)
    Didn't know Asian qualified as a gender
    Wow - I didn't even notice that lool XP

ReputationRep:
    Augustus?
    If you wannabe a posh upper middle class guy, then yes.
    Otherwise, Chris, Tom, Jamie, Matt etc are the populars for our generation that don't sound necessarily posh or 'common'...

ReputationRep:
    i gender identify myself as asian (not chinese) but i really want to be like British people, what do i need to do on a daily routine to come across as British?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    note: i've already stocked up on digestive biskeets
    why would you want to be more British when you can jut be you?

ReputationRep:
    First learn to capitalise the letter "I" when referring to yourself, or do you have such a lack of self respect than you can't even do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Souljer)
    First learn to capitalise the letter "I" when referring to yourself, or do you have such a lack of self respect than you can't even do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    your english skill isn't exactly godly either

ReputationRep:
    i gender identify myself as asian (not chinese
    I had no idea "Asian" was a gender.

ReputationRep:
    Wear tracksuit bottoms, go on benefits, live on a council estate, have ten babies by 20 different men, then start buying Prada and Georgio Armani products with the tax payers money.

That's the way the British rolls!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Moan about the rich and the government but secretly love being treated like a slave by your betters.

ReputationRep:
    "I gender identify myself as Asian"

... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    To be a British male, at least 50% of your wardrobe must be from Topman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    Wear tracksuit bottoms, go on benefits, live on a council estate, have ten babies by 20 different men, then start buying Prada and Georgio Armani products with the tax payers money.

That's the way the British rolls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Come on, that's not everybody.
    But I must admit I find my Adidas trackies quite cozy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon Haze)
    To be a British male, at least 50% of your wardrobe must be from Topman.
    Lmao. Oh yeah I see the Queen shopping there all the time. If not Topman then TK Max lool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.