Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am split between Judaism and Christianity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would say maybe just research both religions first and get an insight of what it would be like to become apart of that religion then decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Certainly not stupid enough to make the underlined assertions as if they are indisputable fact. I thought students of Law were supposed to be good at arguing without ad hominems.
    law is all about attacking your opponent, discrediting the other lawyer is effectively winning the case.

seriously if you can think of a god who is mortal I will consider that indisputable fact as in dispute.

(Original post by JeremyOU)
    law is all about attacking your opponent, discrediting the other lawyer is effectively winning the case.
    Yes, ideally by discrediting their argument. You're unlikely to win any argument by asking rhetorical questions doubting the intelligence of your opponent, although sprinkling your case with them will likely make you sound more impressive. You'll need substance and the fact that you don't think you do does suggest you're either at an early, naive stage in your legal career or that you're just not good at what you study.

seriously if you can think of a god who is mortal I will consider that indisputable fact as in dispute.
    That isn't a serious argument. You'd have to prove to me that all gods are immortal because that's your assertion. I don't believe in any gods so I can hardly be asked to vouch for the mortality of any of them. The burden of proof, my dear man (if your username is indicative of your gender), is on you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ideally by discrediting their argument. You're unlikely to win any argument by asking rhetorical questions doubting the intelligence of your opponent, although sprinkling your case with them will likely make you sound more impressive. You'll need substance and the fact that you don't think you do does suggest you're either at an early, naive stage in your legal career or that you're just not good at what you study.

I run a small law practice, unless you hang out in court I would say that I know more than you.
    tbh most cases boil down to "did he or didn't he" and if it was obvious from the substance then no one would be arguing it.

That isn't a serious argument. You'd have to prove to me that all gods are immortal because that's your assertion. I don't believe in any gods so I can hardly be asked to vouch for the mortality of any of them. The burden of proof, my dear man (if your username is indicative of your gender), is on you.
    OK
    God created everything and has lived forever, and will live forever. therefore is immortal.
    this is true of all "gods", including countless Roman, Greek, Norse and Persian gods.
    I have a gender symbol under my name <-

I run a small law practice, unless you hang out in court I would say that I know more than you.
    tbh most cases boil down to "did he or didn't he" and if it was obvious from the substance then no one would be arguing it.
    I have a difficult time believing that, given that you were only a student of Law a few minutes ago and the woeful arguing ability you've displayed: 'Unless you hang out in court I would say I know more than you' is a non sequitur. Even if I'd skimmed over this without issue, nothing you've said so far reveals you know more than me about anything at all.

You're either lying for convenience or the OU's Law course is clearly not worth doing for anybody serious about getting a legal education and I think I know which is the more likely of the two. :rolleyes:

You might want to learn how to multi-quote; I don't appreciate you typing your response in the quotation without any qualifier indicating they're your own words and not mine (bold text/different colour/different font/italics).

OK
    God created everything and has lived forever, and will live forever. therefore is immortal.
    this is true of all "gods", including countless Roman, Greek, Norse and Persian gods.
    The statement in bold is not a certainty.

Have you exhaustively checked that all gods are immortal? Even the ones that aren't Roman, Greek, Norse and Persian? What about the ones that you don't know about or that haven't yet been 'discovered?'

To be honest, if the quality of your arguments doesn't improve, I've no interest in continuing the conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Choose Christianity. Keep your foreskin.

ReputationRep:
    who is Dan Brown?

No I am referring to ancient manuscripts, and leading scholars.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...t-9849839.html
    Oh wow. Just wow. Do you know when this 'Lost Gospels' autograph is estimated to have been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I guess you are right, but I was thinking reform Judaism as I am a very open person and it is frustrating the hear some of the things they say.
    Just to state where I stand, I am an ex-Catholic myself, but now an atheist.

As for trying to find something that conforms to your ideals (acceptance of LGBT issues) but with some connection to Christianity/Judaism, it might be worth checking out the Unitarian Universalist church. It is a very liberal Church that doesn't judge other people because of their sexuality, gender etc... But also, it is a non-doctrinal and non-creedal Church, so to become a member you don't have to accept Jesus, you don't have to accept the Bible, in fact, you don't have to accept God. Whilst many members do believe in God and Jesus, it is not a necessity to be a member of the Church. Rather, members have a shared desire to approach the tough existential questions in life (Why am I here? What is the meaning of life? etc...) and to attain spiritual growth.

It might be worth checking out, especially due to its liberal views and the fact that you don't need to commit to any beliefs you are not comfortable with.

(Original post by ivy.98)
    As you mentioned Reform Judaism, I can help you out

Converting to Judaism is quite a commitment. It's not a matter of going to synagogue or temple once in a while and calling that your religion, ideally it's changing your whole way of life. Whether that is accepting all halakha (Jewish law) as binding upon yourself or reinterpreting and reinvigorating Jewish traditions with modernity and modern ideals, as liberal Jews do, it is still more than simply attending a service on occasion.

A Reform conversion can usually take one to three years, depending on the rabbi/temple. A conversion class will teach you the basics of Judaism: its history, prayers, etc. It will challenge you, but hopefully in a good way. It will prepare you to make a life commitment to this religion and people.

There are many types of Reform Jews and synagogues. Some lean far to the left and some lean to the right. There are some who will almost never wear a kippah and some who lay tefillin every day. Some keep kosher and others do not. Overall, however, the Reform Movement is often considered the most inclusive of the major denominations and is very focused on social justice. You really need to think through everything to make a decision
    I hope I'm not taking thread too off-topic, but I am intrigued. What exactly would you say are the uniting features between the Reform Judaism movement?

(Original post by The Epicurean)
    It might be worth checking out, especially due to its liberal views and the fact that you don't need to commit to any beliefs you are not comfortable with.
    This. +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    For a while I feel like something is missing I feel like I can't speak to God anymore I feel so lost...
    Jesus came to do away with religion by bringing relationship.
    The identity offered is to be a son or daughter of God!

For that, you need to be born again, just like all the original disciples (see Acts 2:4, 33).

People that heard the speaking in tongues and Peter's explanation asked:
    "what must we do?" (v37)

They were not told to "pray a sinner's prayer", "give their hearts to jesus", "make a confession or profession"

No, they were told to repent, i.e. turn from their former ideas (sounds like you have already done that),
    be baptised (immersed in water, accepting you are spiritually mortal),
    receive what they had just seen and heard - Jesus' Life / nature.

- - - - -

To help your appreciation and faith, you should at least visit one meeting of peiople who have done the above.
    I'm with these.

ReputationRep:
    Well the Torah seems more about genocide and Jewish master race, and New Testament about torture and original sin... and a hippy who is also Yahweh AND the son of Yahweh.

Take your pick:
    Genital Mutilation or No.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Or neither

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    To help your appreciation and faith, you should at least visit one meeting of peiople who have done the above.
    I'm with these.
    And they are

(Original post by Their_web_site)
    This is an example page.
    From Wikipedia:
    "The Revival Fellowship has large groups in various Third World countries, including Papua New Guinea, where there are many claims of its members being healed of HIV/AIDS[10][11] and being raised from the dead.[12]"

So they claim they can miraculously cure AIDS and do resurrection. Seriously: avoid these lying deranged lunatics like the plague they claim to be able to cure.

More dangerous nonsense from these people, such as claiming to be able to cure cancer: link.

(Original post by Simes)
    And they are

From Wikipedia:
    "The Revival Fellowship has large groups in various Third World countries, including Papua New Guinea, where there are many claims of its members being healed of HIV/AIDS[10][11] and being raised from the dead.[12]"

So they claim they can miraculously cure AIDS and do resurrection. Seriously: avoid these lying deranged lunatics like the plague they claim to be able to cure.

More dangerous nonsense from these people, such as claiming to be able to cure cancer: link.
    Having looked at their website, I'm wondering whether to report the user who suggested it for making a non-constructive comment. It's amazing how many fringe groups are using this thread to shamelessly proselytise their beliefs. .__.

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at their website, I'm wondering whether to report the user who suggested it for making a non-constructive comment. It's amazing how many fringe groups are using this thread to shamelessly proselytise their beliefs. .__.
    I've noticed that evangelical groups such as these that preach such views are in general becoming more present (growing numbers) and more vocal. I seem to be encountering these sorts more often on public transport, on the road and even at work. One guy at my workplace used to drop loads of magazine in the staffroom that would claim they could cure people of cancer and whatnot. These churches often take advantage of the most vulnerable and take their money sadly. The leaders of some of these Churches are very rich.

I've noticed that evangelical groups such as these that preach such views are in general becoming more present (growing numbers) and more vocal. I seem to be encountering these sorts more often on public transport, on the road and even at work. One guy at my workplace used to drop loads of magazine in the staffroom that would claim they could cure people of cancer and whatnot. These churches often take advantage of the most vulnerable and take their money sadly. The leaders of some of these Churches are very rich.
    I can't rep you again for a while but I agree with you -- it's become very fashionable these days for such groups to be given platforms they wouldn't normally be given because they've learned that they can play the victim card if they don't. They'll open the whole freedom of speech can of worms if you try. :/

I think a general rule by which everyone ought to live their lives is that anything or anyone that promises you the world (or an afterlife) in exchange for a membership fee should be turned away without much thought. While it's sad to see gullible people being exploited, it's even sadder that people are this gullible in the first place. A lot of these groups are little different to online scams, which most of these people do recognise when they see them.

(Original post by NJA)
    Instead of just listening to the opinions of people who had nothing to offer I went to meet the people for myself, I was open to correction.
    I'm assuming the people themselves wrote the website which is, by any measure, diabolical nonsense. Don't play the 'they turned away Jesus too!' card. If you've got nothing better to do than proselytise your dangerous beliefs, I suggest you leave. Don't turn this into a debate about how you're being persecuted because somebody on a website called your beliefs nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I hope I'm not taking thread too off-topic, but I am intrigued. What exactly would you say are the uniting features between the Reform Judaism movement?
    I think the general philosophy of the Reform movement as applies to Halacha is "do what you feel is most meaningful to you", which really reveals a lot about it

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming the people themselves wrote the website which is, by any measure, diabolical nonsense. Don't play the 'they turned away Jesus too!' card. If you've got nothing better to do than proselytise your dangerous beliefs, I suggest you leave. Don't turn this into a debate about how you're being persecuted because somebody on a website called your beliefs nonsense.
    Our forefathers fought and died to protect us from people who tell us what we can/cannot say.

I respect your right to preach your (un)beliefs.

(Original post by NJA)
    Our forefathers fought and died to protect us from people who tell us what we can/cannot say...
    ... in public. This is a privately-owned website where 'not constructive' is a reportable offence so, yeah, you can be told what you can and can't say here, and that's no infringement of your general right to freedom of speech.

Stop trying to use emotion to defend your clearly self-interested presence on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    ... in public. This is a privately-owned website where 'not constructive' is a reportable offence so, yeah, you can be told what you can and can't say here, and that's no infringement of your general right to freedom of speech.

Stop trying to use emotion to defend your clearly self-interested presence on this thread.
    OK, let the moderators decide who is being 'not constructive' and self-interested in this thread!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.