Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Having a relationship with a girl that is deaf watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just be careful if she starts talking in her sleep, you could end up getting hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Women generally are... at least you don;t have to bother with small talk.... :dance:

Also I don't think older relationships really are any different.... at least the ones I've witnessed.
    I disagree. Have you met young people? :eek:

Christ! You are a bundle of joy today!
    Well at least I'm the only one in this thread who can claim that I've given OP proper advice. Listening to your heart is great, but when planning for the future, you engage your brain.

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all do u like her? Since you've posted this question you probably do!

Awww cuties try to learn sign language if you want to. I'd love to learn it! If I consider doing an Audiology degree I'm deffo ganna learn it.

I feel very happy there's guys like u. Don' t use her tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    I disagree. Have you met young people? :eek:
    Well I do like to think people roughly my age are still young people :laugh: especially how I won't be an adult till 25 now *grumble grumble* :unimpressed:

I would admit under 18's.... but even those in their 30's-40's who are in new relationships generally are the same imo, just as immature in reality.

Well at least I'm the only one in this thread who can claim that I've given OP proper advice. Listening to your heart is great, but when planning for the future, you engage your brain.
    In any new relationships if you engaged your brain you wouldn't bother.... unless you're into arranged/economic based marriages that is?

For all intents and purposes, how is it any worse than having to travel 20-30 odd mins to see a girl etc? Especially seeing how they're fine communicating atm, I think the main point is in time it would be an advantage to learn sign language. Anyway having sign language on your CV is actually pretty massive.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm simply the only one here who has a grasp on reality. Everybody here is falling over themselves saying how wonderful it is and that he should do it. But in reality, it will take a lot of effort, and the relationship will probably fail too.
    No, you're trying to sound "tough" (and failing miserably) by making about 10 posts in this thread, including spamming "lol" emoticons at people who disagree with you (making your whole "young people in relationships" shtick even more laughable - you come across as someone who's not only very young, but lacks social skills). You haven't given any proper arguments as to why it will fail, because you're clearly not posting to help OP but out of your own insecurities.

Grow up. You clearly have issues to do that on a thread like this.

ReputationRep:
    Well I do like to think people roughly my age are still young people :laugh: especially how I won't be an adult till 25 now *grumble grumble* :unimpressed:

I would admit under 18's.... but even those in their 30's-40's who are in new relationships generally are the same imo, just as immature in reality.
    Probably right actually. All immature.

In any new relationships if you engaged your brain you wouldn't bother.... unless you're into arranged/economic based marriages that is?

I would love an economic based marriage

For all intents and purposes, how is it any worse than having to travel 20-30 odd mins to see a girl etc? Especially seeing how they're fine communicating atm, I think the main point is in time it would be an advantage to learn sign language.
    It's not just about the time spent learning sign language. It's the rest too. When they go somewhere together where nobody else knows sign language, will the OP have to translate? All the time? I assume she may have deaf friends too. Will she have to take the time to explain things to him, while is sign language ability is not so good. That will get frustrating

As for having an argument with her, all she would have to do is close her eyes, and he will be blocked out. Can he live with that?

It will cause some serious communication problems I guarantee.

Anyway having sign language on your CV is actually pretty massive.
    It's a skill undoubtedly. We're pushing it by saying it's massive though.

I would dearly love to know what this post was reported for...

ReputationRep:
    OP, ignore the idiot, lol. Obviously someone being deaf can make stuff harder, but Phoebe Buffay clearly has her own problems or she wouldn't be attention seeking like a girl pulling her top up on a Friday night by quoting half the people in this thread with childish BS. :rofl:

ReputationRep:

It's not just about the time spent learning sign language. It's the rest too. When they go somewhere together where nobody else knows sign language, will the OP have to translate? All the time? I assume she may have deaf friends too. Will she have to take the time to explain things to him, while is sign language ability is not so good. That will get frustrating

As for having an argument with her, all she would have to do is close her eyes, and he will be blocked out. Can he live with that?

It will cause some serious communication problems I guarantee.

I agree, most here are blinded by how 'cute' it would be if this sort of relationship worked. Ultimately, there are many potential difficulties that OP should recognise before deciding what to do. But still, if OP likes her enough, I don't see a problem in him seeing how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I would love an economic based marriage
    Really? Well personally I would prefer having sex with the person I'm married to......

well would only be an issue in a mixed group.... even then it's no worse than being in a group of friends with mixed languages. Again seeing how small her friendship group of purely deaf people is likely to be, not a massive issue. Especially seeing he's in a relationship with her, not them.

Now you're just being silly, all I have to do in a argument is close my eyes and cover my ears! lol

People already storm out of arguments when they have had enough, and he can do the same (cover eyes or storm out). It's really nitpicking here.

Talking to recruiters suggest it is. Especially if he's working in a buisness sector. They absolutely love people who know languages or sign language! Even outside of this it's a sign of dedication. Sale sector? Yeah it's once again a massive thing to know. No company wants the awkward moment where no one knows what their buisness partners or customers are saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    No, you're trying to sound "tough" (and failing miserably) by making about 10 posts in this thread, including spamming "lol" emoticons at people who disagree with you (making your whole "young people in relationships" shtick even more laughable - you come across as someone who's not only very young, but lacks social skills). You haven't given any proper arguments as to why it will fail, because you're clearly not posting to help OP but out of your own insecurities.

Grow up. You clearly have issues to do that on a thread like this.
    You are having a laugh.

I'm not trying to sound tough, I'm just trying to give the OP some objective advice.

Everybody one here is falling over themselves saying 'follow your heart' etc etc, but they don't realise that it actually puts a fair amount of pressure on the OP. I'm just saying, it doesn't have to be that way.

As for saying 'it will fail' - I don't ever recall saying that and if I did you misunderstood me. I have no way of knowing that it will fail for sure. I just think it probably will.

As for me being immature. I see that from my few posts in this thread you've managed to diagnose that I 'clearly have issues'. Spare me the armchair psychology because, let's be honest, it's what kids do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    OP, ignore the idiot, lol. Obviously someone being deaf can make stuff harder, but Phoebe Buffay clearly has her own problems or she wouldn't be attention seeking like a girl pulling her top up on a Friday night by quoting half the people in this thread with childish BS. :rofl:
    I think you have issues. You have posted me multiple times in this thread. And keep talking about my 'insecurities'. I think you're projecting

And you called me an idiot - well that's not how adults conduct themselves is it?

Boo hoo

ReputationRep:
    You are having a laugh.

I'm not trying to sound tough, I'm just trying to give the OP some objective advice.

Everybody one here is falling over themselves saying 'follow your heart' etc etc, but they don't realise that it actually puts a fair amount of pressure on the OP. I'm just saying, it doesn't have to be that way.

As for saying 'it will fail' - I don't ever recall saying that and if I did you misunderstood me. I have no way of knowing that it will fail for sure. I just think it probably will.

As for me being immature. I see that from my few posts in this thread you've managed to diagnose that I 'clearly have issues'. Spare me the armchair psychology because, let's be honest, it's what kids do
    I stated to follow the heart because despite the difficulties if they both have love for each other, they could make it work.

Relationships may take work sometimes but if the love is there, why not try?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affluentmakaveli)
    I stated to follow the heart because despite the difficulties if they both have love for each other, they could make it work.

Relationships may take work sometimes but if the love is there, why not try?
    Hmm I don't know, the OP did not mention love. All he mentioned was sex and then the girl becoming clingy. Perhaps if he were in love with her then maybe...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.