Turn on thread page Beta

Why do a lot of gay people speak / act like this watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you probably meet a lot of gay people every day without ever realising it. The 'camp' stereotype means you only pick up on gay men who conform to that stereotype, which leads to you assuming that all gay men are camp. However, you likely also met many other men who were gay and not camp - you just didn't realise, because they didn't conform to the stereotype you expected them to. Does that makes sense?

Secondly, I have found that realisation, acceptance and celebration of my sexual orientation opened me up to a host of new cultures, ideas and mindsets. For example, I feel I have a deeper understanding of gender and gender expression because being gay pushed me into exploring the trans* and genderqueer communities. Being gay has also forced me to be very self-introspective - I know myself well, and am proud of my identity and sense of self. I guess I figured that if people were going to judge me for who I wanted to have sex with, I might as well be open about other parts of my identity too. I often wear clothes from the men's section and am generally less 'feminine' presenting than other girls I know: this is not because of my sexual orientation, but because my sexual orientation opened up that possibility to me.

So following on from that, perhaps the gay men who conform to this 'camp' stereotype are not like that because they are gay, but because being gay allowed them to embrace that aspect of themselves. There may be straight men who are very camp and feminine but cannot express it, because it is not what society expects of them. I don't know. I can assure you, though, that gay people are not stereotypes or two-dimensional characters or figures of fun. We're people, just like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I'm inclined to think it's just a social thing, same as why straight girls / lesbian girls / straight guys, etc. may act in a certain way to fit in with those who they class as the same as them.

Thing is, like people on here are pointing out, although there's kind of a stereotype for how each sexuality and gender may act, especially the stereotype for gay guys, not EVERYONE is like that, at all. Not all gay guys act like your idea of a gay guy, same as how not all straight girls act like your idea of a straight girl, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    I don't know, I'm inclined to think it's just a social thing, same as why straight girls / lesbian girls / straight guys, etc. may act in a certain way to fit in with those who they class as the same as them.

Thing is, like people on here are pointing out, although there's kind of a stereotype for how each sexuality and gender may act, especially the stereotype for gay guys, not EVERYONE is like that, at all. Not all gay guys act like your idea of a gay guy, same as how not all straight girls act like your idea of a straight girl, and so on.
    It's no different to how black guys act as if they are from da hood or ghetto even if from middle class families and call other black people the N word they embrace it as they know they can get away with it.

I knew a guy at school who was popular and a ladies man not camp in the slightest, then suddenly came out of the closet and instantly was camp.

Or another butch gay guy who fit the "bear" stereotype who had a beard and he would outright say disgusting things about guys he fancied private areas or what he wanted to do to their bottoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlebitofsky)
    First of all, you probably meet a lot of gay people every day without ever realising it. The 'camp' stereotype means you only pick up on gay men who conform to that stereotype, which leads to you assuming that all gay men are camp. However, you likely also met many other men who were gay and not camp - you just didn't realise, because they didn't conform to the stereotype you expected them to. Does that makes sense?

Secondly, I have found that realisation, acceptance and celebration of my sexual orientation opened me up to a host of new cultures, ideas and mindsets. For example, I feel I have a deeper understanding of gender and gender expression because being gay pushed me into exploring the trans* and genderqueer communities. Being gay has also forced me to be very self-introspective - I know myself well, and am proud of my identity and sense of self. I guess I figured that if people were going to judge me for who I wanted to have sex with, I might as well be open about other parts of my identity too. I often wear clothes from the men's section and am generally less 'feminine' presenting than other girls I know: this is not because of my sexual orientation, but because my sexual orientation opened up that possibility to me.

So following on from that, perhaps the gay men who conform to this 'camp' stereotype are not like that because they are gay, but because being gay allowed them to embrace that aspect of themselves. There may be straight men who are very camp and feminine but cannot express it, because it is not what society expects of them. I don't know. I can assure you, though, that gay people are not stereotypes or two-dimensional characters or figures of fun. We're people, just like everyone else.
    As a bi guy who has many gay friends then I know more who fill gay stereotypes, they are not all camp but the majority are feminine in many ways

I have gay friends who try and guess why they are gay and many say its hormonal.

And my neighbour is a lesbian and fits all the lesbian stereotypes but is friendly, she has hair shorter than mine, wears sleeveless t shirts, is overweight and quite butch in that she likes to be heard and shout at people who argue with her in fact the only feminine thing about her is she wears a pink t shirt every day.

She even loves DIY and cars lol.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.