Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cars are the among worst inventions of all time watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Cars are extremely important in remote areas, and I would never suggest "banning" them, but they should only be driven as far as the nearest train station, to put it pithily.

Most arterial roads should be tolled, and petrol taxed heavily at the pump (as it is already) and the revenue directed to public transport.

It would also reduce our dependence on oil so we don't have to run scared of Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this for a long time until I had a car myself. Some places (especially in rural areas) have pretty awful infrastructure and the only way to really get around is by car. They could easily be run on other things, THAT is the problem - the fact that the country won't fund electric/hydrogen cars etc because the people in power are making big £££ off oil.

Plus, we couldn't just ban cars out right, what about disabled people who need to rely on a car to get out and enjoy their life?

ReputationRep:
    There's a thing on tv about cats, so I misread the thread title as "Cats are among the worst inventions of all time"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    I dont really care about the planet being destroyed, so I aint giving up cars for ****ty public transport
    It's weird but this is my opinion.

I live in a nice area with clean air and no congestion, but overall I care much more about a strong economy than all the *******s about saving the environment, at the same time, I do believe that electric cars will become mainstream and technology will save us anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    It's weird but this is my opinion.

I live in a nice area with clean air and no congestion, but overall I care much more about a strong economy than all the *******s about saving the environment, at the same time, I do believe that electric cars will become mainstream and technology will save us anyway.
    Its good to be optimistic, but not to the point that we assume that everything is going to be fine if we carry on as we are doing now.

Electric cars are not a saviour; most electricity is not renewable; if it were, then it would be expensive or from nuclear sources.

ReputationRep:
    How great would it be if everyone was cycling like they do in Holland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johann von Gauss)
    The point is, public transport is so much more efficient;
    Complete nonsense. A lot public transport is already overcrowded and strained. How do you think it would cope if everybody relied on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Complete nonsense. A lot public transport is already overcrowded and strained. How do you think it would cope if everybody relied on it?
    A lot better. Have you heard of economy of scale? The more people who use public transport, the more funding it gets, the better infrastructure and staff it employs, and the more efficient it gets. Building new roads and widening those existing isn't cheap, but quite honestly running extra trains can be a lot cheaper than that.

ReputationRep:
    A lot better. Have you heard of economy of scale? The more people who use public transport, the more funding it gets, the better infrastructure and staff it employs, and the more efficient it gets. Building new roads and widening those existing isn't cheap, but quite honestly running extra trains can be a lot cheaper than that.
    You're very naive aren't you? While that may be true, in your hypothetical heaven, trains could only absorb a marginal part of car traffic. Moving everyone from rural areas into cities? Laughable. And what about farmers how are they to transport their produce? Will train lines run to every individual farm in the country? Not to mention the sheer monopoly private train companies would hold in the transportation sector, who knows what kind of charges they would put on the average commuter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    You're very naive aren't you? While that may be true, in your hypothetical heaven, trains could only absorb a marginal part of car traffic. Moving everyone from rural areas into cities? Laughable. And what about farmers how are they to transport their produce? Will train lines run to every individual farm in the country? Not to mention the sheer monopoly private train companies would hold in the transportation sector, who knows what kind of charges they would put on the average commuter.
    Don't you understand that there is no limit to the numbers who could travel by train, if the infrastructure is there? Do you not understand that tractors are not cars? Just because farmers need tractors to farm their land does not mean the entire population need their own cars. If you are concerned about monopolies, what about the fact that the government owns all the roads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Dunno about that... I've had 70+ cars in the last 11 years, do i qualify?
    Well do you like cars, judging by your profile pic i would say

ReputationRep:
    Don't you understand that there is no limit to the numbers who could travel by train, if the infrastructure is there? Do you not understand that tractors are not cars? Just because farmers need tractors to farm their land does not mean the entire population need their own cars. If you are concerned about monopolies, what about the fact that the government owns all the roads?
    The infrastructure can't be there. Trains are primarily used during rush hour, otherwise they never filled.

I wasn't actually talking about tractors. I wanted to know how their produce would be delivered directly to stores?

Hmm lets see what else. How will waste from each household be delivered to recycling centres? By bike? How will mail be delivered to each indicidual household, by owls?

What if someone were to take seriously ill? "Aw I'm sorry we banner all motor vehicles. You'll just have to take a horse and carriage to the hospital. let's hope you make it there in time"

How will anybody get anywhere with harsh levels of snow? After all there will be no ploughs to clear the roads. Plus we all know how reliable trains are in winter...

Oh and just imagine the increase in infections spread through public transport and the millions of pounds lost through missed working days.

So I'll ask again have you seriously thought this through?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't actually talking about tractors. I wanted to know how their produce would be delivered directly to stores? Farm to depot via lorries, depot to cities via trains.

Hmm lets see what else. How will waste from each household be delivered to recycling centres? By bike? How will mail be delivered to each indicidual household, by owls? Email is more efficient. But anyway, drones could do this better.

What if someone were to take seriously ill? "Aw I'm sorry we banner all motor vehicles. You'll just have to take a horse and carriage to the hospital. let's hope you make it there in time" Emergency vehicles would still run, obviously. And without traffic from cars, they'd arrive sooner.

How will anybody get anywhere with harsh levels of snow? After all there will be no ploughs to clear the roads. Plus we all know how reliable trains are in winter... People can walk through deep snow easier than cars.

Oh and just imagine the increase in infections spread through public transport and the millions of pounds lost through missed working days. And hours wasted in traffic somehow doesn't cost the economy?

ReputationRep:
    Why are lorries allowed to exist in your Eco-utopia?

Funny, can't recall ever getting parcels via email? And drones :lol: that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Who are manufacture these emergency vehicles? Can't imagine that being a very viable business... And Who's going to repair them when they break down? Can't see many mechanics operating in your world either.

People can walk in deep snow to their job which is an hour walk away at the best of times? What about disabled people who still go to work?

At least with traffic people still get to work maybe at most an hour or two late. Whole days and weeks will be missed through infections.

I can accept that your scenario would be better for the environment but to say it would be more efficient is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Why are lorries allowed to exist in your Eco-utopia? Because as you have pointed out (and I admit), they are necessary. Cars aren't.

Funny, can't recall ever getting parcels via email? And drones :lol: that would be a disaster waiting to happen. Progress is inevitable

Who are manufacture these emergency vehicles? Can't imagine that being a very viable business... And Who's going to repair them when they break down? Can't see many mechanics operating in your world either. Commercial entities don't exist in my world :mmm:

People can walk in deep snow to their job which is an hour walk away at the best of times? What about disabled people who still go to work? Hour drive away at the best of times. And I'm sure employers would let them work from home/have the day off

At least with traffic people still get to work maybe at most an hour or two late. Whole days and weeks will be missed through infections. And spend hours in transit every. single. day. It adds up.

ReputationRep:
    Luddites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by york_wbu)
    Stupid thread, stupid idea.
    I really hope that pic of Farage is supposed to be ironic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    I really hope that pic of Farage is supposed to be ironic
    What's wrong with farage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by york_wbu)
    What's wrong with farage?
    politically....everything

you can have your own opinions, but he cannot be justified...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    politically....everything

you can have your own opinions, but he cannot be justified...
    I can have my own opinions as long as they don't clash with yours? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.