The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yasaminO_o
Some of us still use loose tea leaves, but all of us use the metric system

No we don't.

Roads are measured in miles.
Land sales are still measured in acres.
Horses are measures in hands.
People are measured in feet and inches and weighed in stones and pounds.
Horse racing courses are still measured in furlongs.
Even some cases people here don't even use the modern currency system, such as at livestock sales which can be seen using the Guinea.
Beer and milk are sold in pints.

The list goes on.
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, I would expect cold milk with tea. I've only heard of people putting hot milk into espresso, not tea. Maybe that's why some people do that?

Chai lattes are made with steamed milk. (But that's not a "proper" British cup of tea).
Defying all the odds of being British I don't drink tea :u:
Original post by moonkatt
Chai lattes are made with steamed milk. (But that's not a "proper" British cup of tea).

Yup, and the "proper" Asian way of making that tea, is to make it on the hob, with a standard English breakfast tea bag :tongue: It's now tradition cos...empire.
Original post by Student403
I like loose tea hahah

Loose tea is better, but it also takes more time. THat's probably why most people don't bother. When I make Kashmiri tea, I definitely go for the "proper" method, because the kettle simply does not compare.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I think I've recovered enough to respond.

Every British person knows this is the correct way of making a cup of tea: mug, tea bag, brew for two minutes or so, splash of cold milk (whole milk, not that skimmed nonsense, NEVER COFFEE MATE YOU MADMAN) and a dose of diabetes :tea:Perfect.

Fixed

Also, I have mine with semi skimmed milk, but tbh I have cereal as well, and I go through milk quite a lot so..
Usually we use tea bags, but I really like using teacups and saucers. No sugar, no nothing, decent amount of semi-skimmed milk, but strong flavour. Without wanting to sound posh I have earl grey tea, but normal is lovey too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Day to day: teabags.
Fancy tea or special occasion: loose leaf.
Milk/sugar and other additives: dependant on personal taste and type of tea being drunk.

Easy!
This is really interesting, because I am thinking about opening a tea room if the tea served was loose leaf tea would you still drink it?
P.s. I am British as well and love a cup of builder's tea left absolutely untouched.
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, with so many Americans around, you probably knew that this question about tea was going to come up. I'm sure you've all been asked this a lot by tourists. LOL.

In the US, tea is a beverage that people drink as a coffee replacement if they don't like the taste of coffee. We usually buy tea bags and steep them in coffee mugs for about five minutes, and occasionally add sugar, milk, or even coffee creamer to sweeten it.

When we think of British people drinking tea, we usually picture people with actual tea cups using loose leaf tea prepared with an old-fashioned tea pot and kettle, perhaps taking time to serve them with scones and actually going the whole nine yards to have "a proper tea".

So, do British people still actually go to all the trouble of making tea properly, or has the advent of tea bags made people lazier about tea preparation in Britain as well?

I'd say tea bags but I know some people do use leaf tea such as my dad.

Latest