Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

greatest british person ever watch

• View Poll Results: who was the greatest Britain ever?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Rowan Atkinson.

ReputationRep:
    Charles Darwin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent1)
    Churchill for what he did during his time, Thatcher for what she did for the future.
    Idiot.

Anyway the answer has to be either James the I right? Or Andy Murray

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    I could only put 16 people on the poll, and I went for fair male/female balance, as well as a historic/newer balance.

I didn't expect so much Churchill
    Why no scientists? Alan Turin >> Churchill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate hottie)
    According to one of the most famous historians of the twentieth century in this work...

http://www.amazon.com/English-Histor.../dp/0198217153

What qualifies you to disagree? A History A Level or something?.
    Bad news for everyone who voted.

According to chocolate hottie, unless you are a published author of a historical work your opinion doesn't count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Idiot.

Anyway the answer has to be either James the I right? Or Andy Murray
    Idiot? Would you like to make an argument to go along with that insult, or just make yourself look stupid?

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Thatcher

m'lady

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Sir Isaac Newton
    The greatest scientist of all time.

(Original post by Plumstone)
    1) it should be Britons, not Britains.

2) James Bond is fictional, so how can he count?

3) WHERE IS SHAKESPEARE?!?!? Surely in any sane universe he belongs on this list miles and miles ahead of ********** Sam Smith?!?!??!
    Lmao great point :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Dirac)
    The greatest scientist of all time.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    Sir Isaac Newton
    The most under-appreciated scientist, despite the fact that we all know who he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent1)
    Idiot? Would you like to make an argument to go along with that insult, or just make yourself look stupid?
    Tbh I shouldn't really have to provide an argument for a supposed "History student". I mean have you even studied Thatcher at all? This myth that she was a great PM, never mind a great Brit is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Ian Botham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    The most under-appreciated scientist, despite the fact that we all know who he is.
    Most scientists are under-appreciated by the common-folk

ReputationRep:
    Most scientists are under-appreciated by the common-folk
    most scientists are completely unknown, try thinking of more than five of them without using google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    most scientists are completely unknown, try thinking of more than five of them without using google.
    Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Darwin, Nicolaus Copernicus. Along with about 30 others I can't be bothered to type

ReputationRep:
    And just because they're unknown doesn't mean they've not achieved great things.

ReputationRep:
    And just because they're unknown doesn't mean they've not achieved great things.
    so true

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Everybody on the list is English and yet the question asks who is the greatest Briton. Surely Scotland and Wales have produced a few people that could beat Jeremy Corbyn to the list. LOL!

For the record, I think Churchill is the worst of the lot of them. An absolute disgrace. Here's a man who went to war in defence of Poland, spent the next five years bankrupting the country, and at the end of all that allowed Poland to get taken by Stalin anyway! He was one of the architects of what has now morphed into the undemocratic EU, and was a truly piss-poor peace time PM.

A trumped up little journalist that managed to get thousands killed in Gallipoli in WWI.

ReputationRep:
    Lord Alexion of the Ninth Realm

^ he's a pretty cool guy :cool:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.