Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Prospects for young people 'have worsened' says report watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixy49)
    BS The house I bought for 7k when average wages were roughly 3k now is 'valued' at well over 200k ...... so now the young need to get off their arses an get a job @ 90K ish ????

There was / is no party that would have chopped the supply of thin air credit money to keep housing truly affordable.......for which party should the young have voted ????
    Have you no imagination? Why can't young people tell whichever party what they want instead of just agreeing with what they are offered?

For years, young people did not demand affordable housing enough and did not vote while older people voted in large numbers for the things they wanted like better pensions. Older people with houses consistently opposed building new houses near them because they knew more affordable houses would devalue their own houses.

Now, market forces have resulted in sky high rents which makes it impossible to save to buy. Instead of moaning about the current situation, do something about it. Do you think this situation was handed down from the Almighty and no mere mortal can change it or is it really man made and people like you can make the changes they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    The Tories have been trying though!
    No they haven't, they want to sell more social housing, can't control immigration and thousands of high skilled and high paid steel workers have been put on the dole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    No they haven't, they want to sell more social housing, can't control immigration and thousands of high skilled and high paid steel workers have been put on the dole.
    Selling social housing doesn't mean that they don't want more houses. In fact they have had several policies to build more houses/help people buy houses - it is part of Tory ideology for people to own the houses they live in, and not to rent them.

On the point of immigration, they have tried but all of their attempts have so far been fruitless because of EU rules. Cameron trying to change the benefits rules for EU immigrants will likely fail as well, but nevertheless they have tried.

The controversial attempt to change tax credit rules is an example of them trying to change the benefits system.

As for the lack of skilled jobs, the Tories have been pushing for more apprenticeships. The steel workers retrenchment is due to the industry's inability to remain competitive in the global market, which has been affected by China's slowing growth (China in fact has been dumping steel).

ReputationRep:
    Selling social housing doesn't mean that they don't want more houses. In fact they have had several policies to build more houses/help people buy houses - it is part of Tory ideology for people to own the houses they live in, and not to rent them.

On the point of immigration, they have tried but all of their attempts have so far been fruitless because of EU rules. Cameron trying to change the benefits rules for EU immigrants will likely fail as well, but nevertheless they have tried.

The controversial attempt to change tax credit rules is an example of them trying to change the benefits system.

As for the lack of skilled jobs, the Tories have been pushing for more apprenticeships. The steel workers retrenchment is due to the industry's inability to remain competitive in the global market, which has been affected by China's slowing growth (China in fact has been dumping steel).
    Do you support the Tories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Do you support the Tories?
    I support Maggie only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Stop whining and vote.
    I did vote.
    You stop whining about people supposedly not voting when they in fact did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    I did vote.
    You stop whining about people supposedly not voting when they in fact did.
    Get your friends to vote, get other young people to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I support Maggie only.
    You are too young to remember how hated she was, even her own party got rid of her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You are too young to remember how hated she was, even her own party got rid of her!
    And I suppose you are old enough to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    However you pay it back in a tax format, only when you earn £21k a year and if you don't pay it back in a certain amount of time it gets wiped.
    yeah, and if you left uni on £21k which is more likely as the minimum wage increases, over the typical 30 year repayment period, you'd end up paying about £58k, which is outrageous, and why young people need to be voting - they gave our maintenance grants to the OAPs who voted for them because politics has turned into a 'follow-for-follow' mentality.

ReputationRep:
    And I suppose you are old enough to?
    Yes, I remember all the steel plants closing in the 1980s in my home city and 3 million unemployed. I'll never support the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    The Tories have been trying though!
    No they have'nt. They have done nothing about rent control or the vast increase in house prices.

(Original post by TimeWalker)
    Any party daring to relieve the country from mass immigration (I would like a party to just come along and stop it, it's possible, they're out borders) would be fettered by slurs and propaganda. Same with benefits.

IMO the country should be more 'hands on' with young people and direct them towards or even impose upon them job-training and apprenticeships.
    No political deals with immigration properly by just stating simple facts. This opens them up to being accused of being a bigot or racist.

Yes, youth needs more guidance on jobs, but there are few good jobs nowadays due to a declining industry base. Combine this with house prices permanently outstripping wage growth and the standard of living is, and will continue to fall.

(Original post by Maker)
    Its losers like you who can't be bothered to do anything but whine about it. Listen kid, young people when they can be bothered to vote will make their demands from politicians. They will demand lower uni fees, better education and wages, more affordable housing etc.

Of course politicians can ignore the demands of young people now because so many like you sit on their arse and complain about it and thats it. If you want things to get better, go and make your demands and vote or be ignored. You are not entitled to anything, you have to get out and work for it.
    Aw didums, someone is in for a shock when reality hits.
    If you still think democracy works then please tell me what reality you are living in as you are flat out delusional. Even if the young started to vote, it only works if parties listen. If all ignore real problems (which is what they have always done), then you can't do anything about it.
    When you start working you won't believe the crap you spouted for long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    No they have'nt. They have done nothing about rent control or the vast increase in house prices.

They have done something; introduced help to buy (adding fuel to the fire), overseen record immigration (adding fuel to the fire), allowed foreign buyers to buy up what is an essential for British people (adding fuel to the fire).

The Tories have done worse than nothing.

No political deals with immigration properly by just stating simple facts. This opens them up to being accused of being a bigot or racist.

Supply and demand; boosting supply at a time when demand can't even meet the existing levels will see prices rise. This is until the bubble bursts, then the banks can be bailed out again. It is racist though to use common sense it seems though.

Yes, youth needs more guidance on jobs, but there are few good jobs nowadays due to a declining industry base. Combine this with house prices permanently outstripping wage growth and the standard of living is, and will continue to fall.

The youth need proper jobs to go in to. So many graduates are going into non-grad level jobs-these people need proper jobs. If a graduate can't get a graduate job good luck paying off a huge mortgage or even managing to save for a deposit with £700+ a month rent.

If you still think democracy works then please tell me what reality you are living in as you are flat out delusional. Even if the young started to vote, it only works if parties listen. If all ignore real problems (which is what they have always done), then you can't do anything about it.
    Democracy does work Jimbo. I mean all the people who voted Tory have now got what was promised to them haven't they? Tell me which of the following were lies;

Building starter homes
    Completely removing the deficit
    Controlling immigration
    No top-down reorganisation of the NHS
    Not cutting tax credits.

If all of the above major issues have been absolute lies, complete and utter lies, then fine I take your point. If not though, I will side with the person who seems to go on like a broken record about voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Don't forget up until a couple of decades ago, most young people left school at 16 and got a job and earned money. By the time they were in their 20s, they would have saved enough for a deposit on a house. That is 5 years of earnings most graduates don't have and they did not have any student debts.

Graduates expect to earn a lot more than none graduates but getting a graduate level job that pays enough to make up for 5 years on not earning any money and accumulating debt is a lot harder than most people think.
    You're right but understating it and I'd also say that even today if you leave school at 16, become a gas engineer or electrician, be good at it, spend the next 5 years saving instead of pissing all your money up the wall, you'll be able to buy a place.

I can honestly say that most tradesmen I know in their late 20s and early 30s I know earn more than most grads of the same age. The exceptions are the grads who became doctors, work in the city, became a military officer or got on an elite grad scheme. Nobody else.

If you get a trade like gas engineer, work to become really good at it, get all your tickets like commercial boilers, maybe oil etc, you can be clearing easily over 40k by the time you're late twenties. 50 if you fancy lots of overtime and side work.

Uni id only worth it these days if you do a degree worth doing. But the other thing is you shouldn't just spend your three years studying. Get social skills too, join societies, play sports, take advantage of all uni has to offer. Then you'll do fine. Too many going to uni, becoming hermits and only studying and then leaving uni with the social skills of somebody with Asperger's syndrome and wondering why they can't pass interviews to get on grad schemes. Mean while people who have worked in their profession for 3 years have the social ability which is equally vital in getting jobs and money as qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoëC)
    yeah, and if you left uni on £21k which is more likely as the minimum wage increases, over the typical 30 year repayment period, you'd end up paying about £58k, which is outrageous, and why young people need to be voting - they gave our maintenance grants to the OAPs who voted for them because politics has turned into a 'follow-for-follow' mentality.
    The minimum payment level will increase within inflation and £21k a year is around average wage. I'm perfectly fine with tuition fees, it makes the rich pay more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Democracy does work Jimbo. I mean all the people who voted Tory have now got what was promised to them haven't they? Tell me which of the following were lies;

Building starter homes
    Completely removing the deficit
    Controlling immigration
    No top-down reorganisation of the NHS
    Not cutting tax credits.

If all of the above major issues have been absolute lies, complete and utter lies, then fine I take your point. If not though, I will side with the person who seems to go on like a broken record about voting.
    How's Greece doing?

Building homes? Please tell me how many homes the UK is short of per year and how many are being built under this new initiative.
    Removing the deficit assuming a) taxes grow at the predicted rate (which they didn't last time), b) budget cuts actually get made into law.
    What immigration reform are they bringing in and what change has happened since they last made that promise?
    etc. etc

No party in this country is willing to rock the boat and do what is needed. Instead they think a bit of tape and glue will plug a mile wide hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Stop whining and vote.
    I would if I could, unfortunately I will have to wait until I am 22 to vote in a general election if the pattern follows of every 5 years for a GE.

Again, another flaw of the system where 18-25 year olds can be easily overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I'd like to be optimistic and hope that things are on the up for young people in this country, but things have been pretty dismal for quite a few years and that won't magically just lift. I have to say, looking around me at my own generation - from the people I went to school/college/university with and now to the people of my age that I work with, most of them of my age (or there about) that I can see around me are definitely struggling. I know some very intelligent and hardworking people who are unemployed or working in very low paid jobs - degree educated individuals. But then, I think maybe that's a universal truth of almost all 20-30 year old's who are trying to find their feet and who don't come from a privileged background. It takes time to climb the ladder and figure things out so hopefully things will straighten out in our 30s. But it does seem odd, looking around at your circle of friends and seeing so many bright people out of work or doing jobs that they're overqualified for. I know a few of us who are considering leaving the UK and a couple of friends who left when the recession really dug it's claws in around 2010/11. It's seems like the only sensible thing to do really since the jobs just aren't in abundance here.

As for the outlook of the younger generation - it doesn't look that great at the moment but in the current economy, I'd say stay in education for as long as possible and get a trade or if you go to uni then do something with a high employment rate which qualifies you for life and something that is in demand in other 1st world countries. There's always your spare time to do your hobbies, I wouldn't waste the opportunity to go to uni on a subject with no real employment prospects. As for housing, once you've got your useful qualification, look for work up North - there are a lot of affordable houses in decent places if you're willing to relocate. It does seem like we're the generation of compromise. You might not get what you've always dreamed of but it's better than having nothing at all. The thing is, the amount of work that you'll put it to get the bare minimum would have got you a lot more 20/30 years ago.
    It really doesn't have to be like that though. Young people and people in general just accept the driving down of living standards for the less privileged as if it is the result of some kind of natural disaster like an earthquake. It;s not, it's a miss managed economy or an economy being deliberately managed in a way that drives down the living standards indefinitely for a whole heap of people. When our leaders say we should work like the Chinese that is what they mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)

I started working in 1988.

There are only 2 types of people politicians listen to, people who vote and people who donate to their election campaigns. If you are not in either camp, politicians will ignore you.

I am in the older camp so I'll get all the benefits like a decent pension paid for by the youngsters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miacat)
    I would if I could, unfortunately I will have to wait until I am 22 to vote in a general election if the pattern follows of every 5 years for a GE.

Again, another flaw of the system where 18-25 year olds can be easily overlooked.
    You can vote in local elections and the EU referendum. Get your friends to vote too, otherwise you will be ignored.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.