Turn on thread page Beta

Why wouldn't you date a transgender person? watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Why does the OP assume I wouldn't?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Maybe. As I am attracted mainly to men, they would have to look, act, and generally be a man. Basically, if you can pass as a guy in public well enough for me to develop a crush, I'd probably date you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Yes. While it's all nice to say that one should be with another person whom one loves, my spouse's fertility and the want for biological children is still a major consideration, and ignoring it at the outset of the relationship will only just lead on to future frustration and discontent.

If I were suddenly infertile, then I can't really complain if people refuse to enter into a relationship with me for the exact reasons I mentioned. Nor would I think it be possible for me to wholeheartedly accept an adopted/surrogate baby as my child.

Yes, I am a cold-hearted person, but I am completely at peace with that.
    No, what you've said is fine. I just wanted to dig deeper to see if that's what you really believed and it seems you do.

Wow I mean I'm not a tumblrina or anything but some of the responses here are quite callous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    They are an actual woman. They've always felt like a woman.

They always were a woman, just weren't born as one(physically)
    Could you clarify, do they have an x or y chromosome?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    I guess I wouldn't know how i would react unless I experience that situation myself, so I don't know if I would leave them. I would feel as if everything in the relationship so far would have been a lie, or at the very least a cover up of the truth, and personally, that is one thing that would absolutely break me, to know that even if I had been entirely honest and up front before, they hadn't
    Okay but how would everything be a lie? They're the same person, just trans.

ReputationRep:
    I would never say I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Biologically? You're always what your born biologically technically right?
    True, they were born a man(biologically speaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Too much effort cost hassle. Just move on and find someone from the 99.999% of the population who dont need this
    So you wouldn't go out with someone who is infertile either?

ReputationRep:

So if I say I feel like I've always felt like I should be a unicorn, does that make me one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestWingmanEver)
    Maaaaate trannies are trannies. You don't go there
    A transgender person is not a "******" that is so rude and insulting. From my understanding people have given that lable to someone who is a cross-dresser, which is not the same as changing ones gender, so educate yourself!

ReputationRep:
    So you wouldn't go out with someone who is infertile either?
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Could you clarify, do they have an x or y chromosome?
    When I say they were always a woman, I mean on the inside. Outwardly, they were a man(biologically/physically) once. But they were never a man psychologically.

And don't get into chromosomes, because there's intersex people with XXY for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    So if I say I feel like I've always felt like I should be a unicorn, does that make me one?
    I'm crying at your stupidity! How is that even on the same level? You're going to extreme levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Lol. I agree with you, just because someone thinks they are a woman it doesn't mean that they are one.

ReputationRep:
    Okay but how would everything be a lie? They're the same person, just trans.
    They might be the same person as before, but they would have been deceptive of who they truly were from the start of the relationship, and it would feel like they had withheld that from me because I might look at them differently. Regardless of whether that is the case or not, they took that decision which for me would seem like a betrayal of trust. If you can't be completely open with me from the start of a serious relationship I begin to question whether it really was serious or not.

“When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.”- Maya Angelou

ReputationRep:

LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Trust me, I've known some trans-women in the past who you wouldn't think, even for a second, weren't genetic women. Unless they told you then there is no way in hell you'd even suspect anything.

To use an example of a friend of mine.

She was born male, outwardly identified as female from the age of 7 onwards, was on hormone therapy at 11 so didn't get any of the hormones men do when they go through puberty, thanks to being on hormones since such a young age she has very feminine facial features, a proper female figure, grew good sized breasts through puberty, has an extremely feminine voice, and has since had SRS so has a fully functional vagina.

So you have somebody who looks female, sounds female, has the same hormone levels as a female, is sexually female, is surrounded by friends who almost entirely are unaware that she is transgender (the only people who know are people she has told) and on all legal documentation is shown as female.

Which part of that makes her a man?
    Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. How was she able to go through with it at such a young age? Whilst you do have a very valid point, for me as a personal preference, as I said earlier in the thread, I'd like for my woman to be born a woman. I'm accepting of all people but when it boils down to it, it's down to preferences. I also still thank that being transgender is still a fairly new concept that society hasn't come to terms with yet, hence the social stigma, "you're are what you're born with"etc. It'll probably become the norm in maybe a few decades. But as I said, preferences.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Chances are very slim,probably not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm crying at your stupidity! How is that even on the same level? You're going to extreme levels!
    Same idea at the core of it. You can continue crying but I'd like an answer.

(Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Lol. I agree with you, just because someone thinks they are a woman it doesn't mean that they are one.
    Exactly. You can't just think something and that makes it automatically true. That's childish.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.