Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B877 - Legal Tender Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised that Aph is a very carefully constructed user name - an acronym in fact - Analysis Pretty Hopeless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Sounds like a figure plucked out of thin air, with the sole purpose of trying desperately to back up the (lack of) need of dual currency.

If you do that, you can then get free drinks too!
    Most Green figures are plucked out of thin air :lol:

I can cancel the Labour Party Office for Constitutional Reform's suspiciously large printer paper order that has strangely never arrived and totally isn't an excuse to get the money to pay my bar tab, then
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    I agree and that is the current advice, it's not something I've has to deal with but I know a lot of people get caught out.
    So when you said:
    And when I go to say Spain on holiday my bank can charge me up to 20% of the money I withdraw in conversation charges from pounds to euros.

You actually meant: When people go they get charged up to 20%...

Cranbrook's saying that HSBC don't charge, and I know Barclays charge 3%, so again, where's this 20% figure coming from... Or more aptly, where's it not coming from...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    So items would be two different prices. Sorry but I fail to see how that's beneficial.
    Many things already are, often € being a better price due to its current weakness

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Most Green figures are plucked out of thin air :lol:

I can cancel the Labour Party Office for Constitutional Reform's suspiciously large printer paper order that has strangely never arrived and totally isn't an excuse to get the money to pay my bar tab, then
    Now now, this isn't a Green party Bill - let's not let a Green member/Green DL have an affect on the Green party's reputation - oh wait, it's already damaging it.

xD
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So when you said:
    And when I go to say Spain on holiday my bank can charge me up to 20% of the money I withdraw in conversation charges from pounds to euros.

You actually meant: When people go they get charged up to 20%...

Cranbrook's saying that HSBC don't charge, and I know Barclays charge 3%, so again, where's this 20% figure coming from... Or more aptly, where's it not coming from...
    It is coming from a recent episode of rip-off Britain which as it is a BBC program I expect it is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It was an example as you know. You don't need to take it literally.
    Replace the word Slovak with foreigner, and you'll be able to see my point more easily :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'd call that deciding what currency to use each day before I shop.
    A better name might be Forcing domestic businesses needlessly to gamble their wellbeing on currency fluctuations.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    A better name might be Forcing domestic businesses needlessly to gamble their wellbeing on currency fluctuations.
    They do that anyway.

Replace the word Slovak with foreigner, and you'll be able to see my point more easily :rolleyes:
    I don't get it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Aph)
    It is coming from a recent episode of rip-off Britain which as it is a BBC program I expect it is true.
    In that case I disagree with where they're getting their figures from, and they're no doubt presenting figures in a way such that it's not a true representation of how it'd be applied in this case. Either that, or you just totally mistook what fees/charges they're representing - link?

For example, using a debit/credit card usually comes with around a 3% fee - for credit cards, the interest they charge on the transaction however, is much higher... Just Google it... going on bank's websites will give you an immediate indication of their charges. Which has a great table as well, as well as MoneySavingExpert.

Maybe the real lesson here is to actually do your research rather than just watching a BBC program and shoving it all on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    They do that anyway.
    Then name me a dozen retail businesses that buy all their goods and sell them all domestically that gamble on currency rates. Retailers are protected from currency fluctuations by wholesalers.

This brainless bill forces such businesses to plunge themselves into a whole new area of risk and cost for which they have no skill and experience. It also imposes a massive cost on councils in setting up departments to deal with the enormous burden of managing exceptions.

It does demonstrate what is likely to happen if the voting age is reduced below eighteen, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    They do that anyway.

I don't get it.
    :facepalm:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    In that case I disagree with where they're getting their figures from, and they're no doubt presenting figures in a way such that it's not a true representation of how it'd be applied in this case. Either that, or you just totally mistook what fees/charges they're representing - link?

For example, using a debit/credit card usually comes with around a 3% fee - for credit cards, the interest they charge on the transaction however, is much higher... Just Google it... going on bank's websites will give you an immediate indication of their charges. Which has a great table as well, as well as MoneySavingExpert.

Maybe the real lesson here is to actually do your research rather than just watching a BBC program and shoving it all on here.
    To be fair I do normally do my research and cite links and it wasn't something that caused me to write this bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    To be fair I do normally do my research and cite links and it wasn't something that caused me to write this bill.
    No you don't!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You do research?

:toofunny:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Then name me a dozen retail businesses that buy all their goods and sell them all domestically that gamble on currency rates. Retailers are protected from currency fluctuations by wholesalers.

This brainless bill forces such businesses to plunge themselves into a whole new area of risk and cost for which they have no skill and experience. It also imposes a massive cost on councils in setting up departments to deal with the enormous burden of managing exceptions.

It does demonstrate what is likely to happen if the voting age is reduced below eighteen, though.
    They have to gamble on the pound exchange rate...

I'm over 18...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No they don't. All their transactions are in sterling. You'll be claiming the public gambles on exchange rates when it buys postage stamps next.

(Original post by Aph)
    I'm over 18...
    Oh dear!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Actually it is often not the case that you can pay by card. And when I go to say Spain on holiday my bank can charge me up to 20% of the money I withdraw in conversation charges from pounds to euros.
    Have the same problem using a GBP card from the Six Counties to pay in EUR in the Republic. What you need to do is make it charge you in euros, that way it doesn't charge you a conversion rate. It always asks you if you want to pay in euros or sterling on the card, never let them do it in sterling its robbery.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)

I'm over 18...
    Then it's more proof that 0ast franchise extensions were bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Wait, do people actually have to debate this bill?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.