Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else terrified of the future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes . Jobs are so hard to come by even though I'll be going to a decent university
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Yes . Jobs are so hard to come by even though I'll be going to a decent university
    lol, not if you're a rockstar at interviews or have a pristine CV; or both. It's really not all that hard to land jobs man, you just need the right profile, and to not have the personality of a potato.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    lol, not if you're a rockstar at interviews or have a pristine CV; or both. It's really not all that hard to land jobs man, you just need the right profile, and to not have the personality of a potato.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah the intervews may be a problem for me. Im pretty introverted and keep to myself around new people.

What do you suggest for getting a pristine CV? Summer placements?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Yeah the intervews may be a problem for me. Im pretty introverted and keep to myself around new people.

What do you suggest for getting a pristine CV? Summer placements?
    You need a pristine CV to get internships mate.

Nah, just get plugged in with volunteering, sports, societies - whatever interests you, and that will also show you've made an impact. Even entrpreneurial stuff like founding an organisation, or a company whilst studying would help.

Really, it's about being well rounded, and a likeable individual - it's not rocket science. I'd urge you to start getting in the 'networking' mindset too, that is reaching out to alumni of your university for phone calls, coffee chats etc about their career journeys. If they like you enough, and come across your name whilst screening CVs, you'll have an edge.

It doesn't all boil down to top uni + top grades = internships/jobs, you need to prove your worth.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by spencer_param)
    What industry are you interested in?
    Computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I'm in Year 13, and honestly I have no fears for the future. Even if I used to have some doubts, we take it as it comes

I have a good amount of cash in the bank, employment, people who love me, great career prospects, and solid academic results behind me. I understand that a lot of this is due to me getting lucky with my situation, but honestly I think anyone can set themselves up well for the future by making the right choices in the present...

Despite a slightly poor social life, a lot of what I've done over the past 3/4 years has been with primary focus on the future. Ironically, it's only now, with my most academically important year ahead, that I'm becoming social and spending a lot of time out of the house :lol:
    "Good amount of cash in the bank" is always helpful. Yes, you're lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garshin)
    "Good amount of cash in the bank" is always helpful. Yes, you're lucky.
    The result of the aforementioned poor social life... I cared more for saving than for spending because I had very little to spend it on

ReputationRep:
    The result of the aforementioned poor social life... I cared more for saving than for spending because I had very little to spend it on
    Good point. Hope it's ok now tho!

ReputationRep:
    Good point. Hope it's ok now tho!
    Well, now I have a girlfriend, and that nice savings pot seems to be depleting itself...

ReputationRep:
    I've been unemployed since March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    this is why I want to escape the western world and live as a rice farmer in Southern China, unfortunately mandarin is a pretty hardcore language to learn
    Madrian is really easy lol.

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, now I have a girlfriend, and that nice savings pot seems to be depleting itself...
    Yeah I remember that bit ok.

Send her out to work in the kebab shop. If I'd said that back then I'd still be in a coma.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember that bit ok.

Send her out to work in the kebab shop. If I'd said that back then I'd still be in a coma.
    She works 6/7 days a week as it is! Surprised she has as little as she does...

ReputationRep:
    I used to feel this way and I am also in my final year of University. I decided that I was no longer going to fear for my future and so through watching many youtube videos and going to many career fairs I have slowly gained the skills that I have needed to be a confident interviewee. I have set up various accounts on social media that put you into contact with employers who are in your field of interest. Try JobLab. Things like this get your CV out there, you are in the best year to fill up your CV with amazing things! Get volunteering, get work experience and get your head down to get your grades. Do not fear too much for the future, worrying now only prevents you from being productive today. Move somewhere where rent is cheap and there are still opportunities (up North? Try Manchester, it is second to London in financial sector). Also don't pressure yourself into going for jobs you are not qualified for, start off at the bottom and work your way up. It's actually the easiest way to make it in any industry and fill up that CV!

ReputationRep:
    I used to worry about the future an awful lot, and still do now a wee bit. But now I'm 24 and I've gone through a bit of life experience and met my more carefree boyfriend, I try not to worry so much. I'm just gonna go with the flow a bit more now with jobs and education etc, and let whatever happens, happen. As long as I get married to my lovely man, get a house and have some cute kids, I'll hopefully be happy enough

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year and I feel pretty worried about life beyond uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    Compared to when? Those that went to war?

Bill Clinton said he would give up everything just to be 20 again just so he can see how the future works out.

In some respects this era is going to be tougher for jobs but it will probably be the most interesting 50 years on the planet.
    Wow, for a post written by a guy called 'Skeptical John', that was rather optimistic and hopeful :P

ReputationRep:
    Ever thought of living off the grid in Alaska? I know a guy who knows a guy... who knows a guy. We can make you disappear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I've been unemployed since March.
    hope it gets better for you

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler alert- real life is utterly ****. It never gets any better.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.