The Student Room Group

Is it important for a girl to be as clever as you?

Scroll to see replies

Never met a woman more intelligent than myself.
Reply 41
What sort of discussion do you hope to obtain out of this thread? Child-like.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Lol amazing scene - yeh my parents are a little more developed than that but if I proposed marrying a white girl, they'd kill me. And I won't, I know how much they like divorce. I can't enter an arrangement like that.

Are you a solicitior?
Solicitor-to-be - not quite one yet.

I know a Sri Lankan family whose parents are quite progressive but got quite a lot of flak from their relatives when their children married white people... it's all quite hilarious really. But I think that over time your parents might come around - the Sri Lankan mother in fact proclaims that her white daughter-in-law is the best daughter-in-law in the world.
Original post by JD1lla
What sort of discussion do you hope to obtain out of this thread? Child-like.

Should you get into a relationship if you find that your potential partner isn't as bright as you?

Does intellect matter in a relationship?
How important is it compared to looks?

Lots of things bro.
Lol this isn't msn messenger. Just chill, banter is good - if someone makes fun of you in something so trivial, it's not because they dislike you. The ones you have to ignore / fight against are the true haters - the ones that make venomous statements like Etomidate and AvaAdore.

back with kitchen roll,
well i don't use anything like that but what you say is true actually, i am too uptight really and with stuff on the internet it is hard to tell when someone is being serious but i'll try to be more chill :smile:
Original post by ivy.98
I hope your previous comment wasn't really serious.. So you think its ok to generalise whatever 'findings' you got to every girl? You are aware that we dont live in the 18th century right

no ofcourse not. but,, we are talking about averages here. and on average, men are smarter then women. womens brains are primitive compared to mens.
Reply 46
Should you get into a relationship if you find that your potential partner isn't as bright as you?

Does intellect matter in a relationship?
How important is it compared to looks?

Lots of things bro.

Your original question should of been this. It is not as important as looks.

I always wanted my 'intellectual' equal. And then I realized that this just isn't necessary. Intelligence is definitely a bonus, but I don't care if somebody has a degree or not or good/bad grades. That's not what defines them. It is a mere characteristic. Whether somebody is sweet, attractive, genuine, loyal, has hobbies and interests are far more important than how 'intelligent' they are.

I once went on a date with an extremely intelligent girl. Blonde, huge breasts, great body. But omg she acted dumb. She got into a top uni to study maths, but she didn't articulate her thoughts well, she had no common sense. But when it came to maths, she smashed it and now she's working at a top firm doing mathsy-sh*t.

It's about how well you articulate your thoughts, do you have any thoughts in the first place, are you emotionally intelligent etc, can you communicate your thoughts/opinions.

To reduce somebody down to 'intellect' or 'intelligence' is difficult.
yh of course
but most women are smarter than men
I thought you were leaving TSR lol
who
Original post by JD1lla
Your original question should of been this. It is not as important as looks.

I always wanted my 'intellectual' equal. And then I realized that this just isn't necessary. Intelligence is definitely a bonus, but I don't care if somebody has a degree or not or good/bad grades. That's not what defines them. It is a mere characteristic. Whether somebody is sweet, attractive, genuine, loyal, has hobbies and interests are far more important than how 'intelligent' they are.

I once went on a date with an extremely intelligent girl. Blonde, huge breasts, great body. But omg she acted dumb. She got into a top uni to study maths, but she didn't articulate her thoughts well, she had no common sense. But when it came to maths, she smashed it and now she's working at a top firm doing mathsy-sh*t.

It's about how well you articulate your thoughts, do you have any thoughts in the first place, are you emotionally intelligent etc, can you communicate your thoughts/opinions.

To reduce somebody down to 'intellect' or 'intelligence' is difficult.

Yes I think to define intelligence in this context is difficult. I am talking more about "being on the same level". For me it's more important that I thought to have some good banter with people. I like my mind to be challenged in conversations, I don't want to feel as if I'm just going through the motions.

Whether I can compromise that for a good looking girl, I don't think so tbh - there's quite a few reasonably good looking girls out there.
Original post by A Limp Handshake
no ofcourse not. but,, we are talking about averages here. and on average, men are smarter then women. womens brains are primitive compared to mens.

This is patently false. For all it's flaws, IQ is quite a good measure of intelligence (though of course not the only measure). When we compare the normal distribution curves of both genders, we see that the men's curve is slightly more spread out than the women's. This means at either extremity there are more men; thus when we get to those with the highest IQ it's usually men, as well as the lowest IQ dominated by men as well. Women tend to be clustered in the middle. This means neither gender is 'better' than the other, because as soon as you say "there are more male geniuses" one could respond with "there are more male idiots too", thus 'balancing the scales' as it were.
For me, intelligence is an important quality I look for. I am not seeking some trophy girlfriend or wife.
There's a girl I know, she's what's called a GP trainee. It's basically the job you pick if you're fed up with medicine and you want to chill with your husband in his country manor. She's not that bright - she gets most of my jokes but she doesn't really have the intellect of a BMAT-uni-medic (UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge) - shes OK.

But my god is she beautiful. She is actually physical perfection. Blonde, girl next door type look. She really is beautiful. Also she was cheated on by her boyfriend and now goes from unhappy relationship to unhappy relationship.

She's into nice things and told me about how she spends loads of her pay cheque on clothes and handbags.

Basically apart from the not being clever thing, she is perfect girlfriend material. Do you think I should ask her out? I was thinking, I'm getting tired of explaining to my parents that I'm not gay, I'm just picky, this would really help my case.

Please use girl and guy interchangebly in this thread - I mean partner.

Sounds like you'll be able to deliver on her expectations then :smile:
Relatively important.

I do like intellectual conversations.
Id like my partner to be smarter than me
I cant tell if this is actually serious? So shes perfect but you dont wanna date her because she doesnt go oxbridge? The fact she was doing medicine in the first place shows shes quite clever. I want a girl whos clever but being slightly above average is fine for me.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
As clever as me? I set high standards, but not even my standards are that high. :mmm: (that was obvious)

Girls outperform boys through every level of education (source).

Who's talking about girls & boys?
Reply 59
Within the same "tier" of intelligence, desire to acquire knowledge and respect for academic disciplines - arts, sciences and humanities. I would not be able to stay with someone who was not roughly equal to me in these respects (looks and "chemistry" would only work for so long), and I have not yet met a viable young woman who I would say is clearly above me in these respects so I cannot comment on that scenario.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending