Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is your goal for GCSEs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharmingCat)
    You're home-schooled? Nice to meet someone who is familiar with the experience; up until last year, I was home-schooled for seven years myself.
    Haha, nice to meet someone else who has been home-schooled too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniiforever)
    Wow! I wish I was as good as that in coursework. My coursework is always my falling point
    I can't stress how important coursework is! Prioritise it. Don't let it pull you down and redo it as many times as necessary to get the grade you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki123456)
    If you're doing Edexcel GCSE Maths, I'm more than happy to PM you my resources
    please pm me with them

ReputationRep:
    Oh great. What did you get in history? No unfortunately I'm doing OCR.
    have you done the OCR history coursework ....

ReputationRep:
    hopefully an a* for engish language, sociology, history, science and Spanish.
    A for drama.
    b for maths but id be fine with a c to be honest.
    I didn't have to do English lit so 5 a* and 1 a and 1 b/c.
    I try to aim high because you never know!!

ReputationRep:
    Maths - A*
    Further Maths - A
    English Lit - A*
    English Lang - A*
    Physics - A*
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    R.E - A*
    History - A*
    Media Studies - A*
    Business Studies - A*
    French - B

So 10A*s, an A and a B.
    This is gonna be hard....

ReputationRep:
    I'm setting my sights high for GCSE and aiming for all A's and A*'s
    Well, I say this but I got a B in English literature which I sat in year 10! Luckily, both English literature and language are my worst subjects so hopefully I will do better in every other exam
    I'm going to have to work super hard at English language to get an A this year though! Does anyone have any tips for improving my English, specifically writing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blancosdos)
    I want 3 A*.(In English Lit,English lang,R.E)
    I want 2 A's(Core Science retake,Geography,which can stretch to an A.If i work hard enough,i can get A* on Core science.Tbh,the Isa grade let me down,i got a D )
    2 B's(additional Science)(Maths.I'll be content with a C in maths )

So in total 7 gcses.

I think i'll fail product design(no matter how hard i try,i get D's on my coursework.I only got 2 A's and 2-3 B's but thats it.).It's heavily reliant on coursework too
    I'll probably fail Arabic too.Despite our teacher being arabian,he can't teach.
    Ooo these are similar to what I got (kinda):
    I got 4A*s in Art, RE, English Lit and English Lang
    3As: Drama, Spanish, Biology
    3Bs: Maths, Physics, Chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazel.morris)
    I'm setting my sights high for GCSE and aiming for all A's and A*'s
    Well, I say this but I got a B in English literature which I sat in year 10! Luckily, both English literature and language are my worst subjects so hopefully I will do better in every other exam
    I'm going to have to work super hard at English language to get an A this year though! Does anyone have any tips for improving my English, specifically writing?
    I have one big tip: learn the formula for writing paras - it helps immensely
    There are lots of different variations, but I'd suggest:
    -Start with a transition word/phrase, such as "Secondly", "Thirdly", etc.
    -Then, give your topic sentence; this basically sums up your para in one sentence. For this, you need to keep the question they are asking in mind - make your topic sentence one of the things you said you would discuss in your intro
    -After this, give your quote, or example (or whatever); just make sure you integrate it well
    -Next, describe the essentials of what the quote etc. is about: give the setting and the assumptions
    -Next, you need to delve deeper into it, remembering your topic sentence
    -After this, you should explain briefly how the writer creates this effect: did they use alliteration...? Juxtaposition...? Or even scatological detail...? (lots of options)
    -Finally, you can sum up your whole para by basically repeating your topic sentence, but also tying it in with the overall topic of the essay.
    Hope that helps! If you want any more tips, pm me, and I'll leave space here for other people to put up their amazing and inspiring goals for GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I literally prayed for no Cs when doing my GCSEs, but my mocks (in year 11) were 2A*s , 1 A, 1 B , 3 Cs and 4Ds which kinda sucked, so i worked my ass off this year from January till the exams, did notes on mostly everything and did every past paper for computing, spanish and sciences. The work paid off with 3A*s, 7As and 3 Bs ;D... (2 of the Bs kinda sucked, they were in Geog and Electronics, oh well lol).. From getting Ds in computing, science and spanish, Cs in eng lit, lang etc...... I got all As and an A* in computing ;D

I was so happy with 10A*-As and no Cs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarunH1)
    I literally prayed for no Cs when doing my GCSEs, but my mocks (in year 11) were 2A*s , 1 A, 1 B , 3 Cs and 4Ds which kinda sucked, so i worked my ass off this year from January till the exams, did notes on mostly everything and did every past paper for computing, spanish and sciences. The work paid off with 3A*s, 7As and 3 Bs ;D... (2 of the Bs kinda sucked, they were in Geog and Electronics, oh well lol).. From getting Ds in computing, science and spanish, Cs in eng lit, lang etc...... I got all As and an A* in computing ;D

I was so happy with 10A*-As and no Cs
    Well done! That's a very inspiring story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebeccaa_)
    have you done the OCR history coursework ....
    No we are currently studying castles..actual CW will be after Christmas

ReputationRep:
    No we are currently studying castles..actual CW will be after Christmas
    Ohhh.. I'm currently doing it now and it's okay I guess

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for all A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebeccaa_)
    Ohhh.. I'm currently doing it now and it's okay I guess
    Oh what is it about? I know it's castles but what do you exactly have to do?

ReputationRep:
    So I already have three B's from exams I took in the summer which were dance, English lit and catering

I really want a A in English language and health and social
    B in maths and Spanish and employability
    C in additional science because I'm not the best at science
    I need 2 more A*-C grades to do the level 3 course I want to do at college

ReputationRep:
    Aiming for at least 6A*s and 4As.
    The subjects I am least confident about are English language, literature, French and Spanish 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua-P)
    I'm wanting at least 8 A* (ideally 10) but realistically I'll probably get below that. Here are my subjects:

Mathematics: A (but I really want an A*)
    Physics: A (hoping for an A* again. I did get 100% in my ISA though, so I'm 1/4 of the way there)
    Spanish: A (although I've got 100% in coursework so far)
    English Literature: A (got an A* in my coursework)
    English Language: A* (got an A* in coursework)
    Chemistry: A* (100% in ISA)
    Biology: A* (100% in ISA)
    Geography: A*
    Computing: A* (100% on A452 coursework. I haven't done A453 coursework yet)

Religious Studies: A* (I've already achieved this. I dropped 1 mark in the entire exam!)

I'm also considering doing the Further Maths qualification for GCSE, but I'm not sure on that yet because I really want to nail GCSE Mathematics first.
    Woah! how did you do so well in your ISAs please help me, im doing a chemistry one and im about to do section 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Aiming for at least 6A*s and 4As.
    The subjects I am least confident about are English language, literature, French and Spanish 😅
    for literature i was literally sh*tting myself for, I got an A* in the coursework which was surprising (I hate english >_>), but a B in the exam for the books (I was still happy though) ... BUT because our teacher made us do so many writing tasks with all the poems in the anthology about 10/30 students got full marks in the poetry exam including myself lol. The rest got mostly As which was really good. You should try and revise the books in a greater depth and remember key moments, but do a lot of writing practice with the poems and improve your writing skills (e.g. conveying the deeper meaning of things) and you'll be fine ...

For Spanish which I somehow ended with with an A in, our teacher made us do EVERY SINGLE past paper with reading and listening and revise every mark scheme, she also printed out the transcript for the listening papers when we finished with them to find our mistakes and correct them and highlight any works we didn't know, she then made a list of these words and then tested us. She also used a lot of task magic resources ? (dont know if she makes them or if she uses other peoples, but there for LOADS of resources online with loads of vocab, she also found a word booklet for all the vocab you need to know and made us do lots of flash cards for difficult words... hope this helps She also made EVERY SINGLE person aim for an A* in their writing assessment (most people got As and A*s which was one hell of a surprise, even for me haha) and that massively boosted our grades up as very few got at least A grades in their speaking assessments ( on average it was about a B for most people) ... but in the exams most of us thought we did really bad, including myself ( I literally thought I failed) .. But on results day I think about half our class (about 14) got As or A*s, about 5 Bs and like 4 Cs, and 3 cause they didn't care at all about Spanish (didnt really include them before, but for everyone who was trying the parts before are about them )

You'll be fine if you revise so don't worry, I think most would have the impression you're a hard worker so just push yourself and you'll do it, I'm sure you'll be very happy on results day

Best of luck

p.s I don't do french, and for English i pretty much bull sh*tted everything and somehow ended up with an A O_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elleee1234)
    So I already have three B's from exams I took in the summer which were dance, English lit and catering

I really want a A in English language and health and social
    B in maths and Spanish and employability
    C in additional science because I'm not the best at science
    I need 2 more A*-C grades to do the level 3 course I want to do at college
    Maybe english lit would be good, it would go well with english language because you analyse texts in the same sort of way

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.