Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What makes someone British? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    When you apologise for everything even it is not your fault.
    Beign secretly annoyed that the Canadians have taken that stereotype away from us (As for the OP, I aint white. Umad?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elehin)
    Being white makes you british....
    Lol. Tell that to the white South Africans.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Hello, my question is what makes someone British is it being born in the Uk?Having Citizenship?Or having a British heritage?
    **** British. That isn't an ethnicity, just the same as Northern Irish isn't an ethnicity.
    English, Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Manx, Irish.

If you're talking about English - which people usually are when they say "British" - It'd be white English parents. Doesn't matter where you're born - there are plenty of RAF pilots' families born in Germany and France and India - they're still English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurupt)
    You must be pure white European race to be British. Being born here means nothing. Living here for a thousand years doesn't change anything, if you're not pure white, you're not British, full stop.
    troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quentinhamilton)
    How about baby wipes? :lol:
    I've never used them - wipes don't sanitize. I use regular toilet tissue to clear the debris and then hop in the shower , dial it to turbo and use shower cream to throughly clean the region before having a full shower. Hot water and soap is only way to really ensure your butthole is clean and fresh.
    You ain't cleaning **** with a few folded sheets of tissue yet so many Brits are cool with it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be white to be British. British is not the same as Anglo-Saxon white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Flak Jacket)
    I've never used them - wipes don't sanitize. I use regular toilet tissue to clear the debris and then hop in the shower , dial it to turbo and use shower cream to throughly clean the region before having a full shower. Hot water and soap is only way to really ensure your butthole is clean and fresh.
    You ain't cleaning **** with a few folded sheets of tissue yet so many Brits are cool with it.
    I mean babies

ReputationRep:
    Only the new world has a separation between nationality and ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quentinhamilton)
    I mean babies
    Yeah I know you meant baby wipes and I'm saying that doesn't remove germs.

ReputationRep:
    You must be pure white European race to be British. Being born here means nothing. Living here for a thousand years doesn't change anything, if you're not pure white, you're not British, full stop.
    Even though you are probably racist, as a black born british person whose parents were also born here, I agree. I do not consider myself to be "pure British" I see myself as being partly British. In truth I have English, Irish, Indian, Jamaican and of course African heritage. I wouldn't get offended if someone said I wasn't reallu British as its not exactly insulting.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    Even though you are probably racist, as a black born british person whose parents were also born here, I agree. I do not consider myself to be "pure British" I see myself as being partly British. In truth I have English, Irish, Indian, Jamaican and of course African heritage. I wouldn't get offended if someone said I wasn't reallu British as its not exactly insulting.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's a difference between being British in terms of nationality i.e. anyone born and raised in Britain or who is a naturalised citizen etc. which encompasses all sorts of people of different colours and religions some just arrived off the boat others been here for generations.

Then there's British ethnicity i.e. people of ethnic origins native to this land which would trace their heritage to the Silures or the Celts. In that sense of course if say someone was Black they are not "ethnically" British or genetically British.

But in essence most countries are made up of people who migrated at one time or another.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my question is what makes someone British is it being born in the Uk?Having Citizenship?Or having a British heritage?
    This

ReputationRep:
    In every sentence just say the word "f u c k" randomly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yulebook)
    Only the new world has a separation between nationality and ethnicity.
    What's your point? From your posts, you certainly APPEAR to be Indian. India itself has quite a lot of ethnicities. You can now be "Black Chinese" It doesnt matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    What's your point? From your posts, you certainly APPEAR to be Indian. India itself has quite a lot of ethnicities. You can now be "Black Chinese" It doesnt matter.
    Indian is an ethnic group and a nationality. None of the new world nationalities are ethnic groups, just nationalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yulebook)
    Indian is an ethnic group and a nationality. None of the new world nationalities are ethnic groups, just nationalities.
    Foiled again:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rse-countries/

India is more diverse than the UK is, in terms of ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    How does the pigmentation of one's skin - which, by the way, is related to the altitude and UV exposure that one's ancestral lineage was exposed to for a significant period of time (eg. evolutionary adaptation) - have anything to do with citizenry, whether cultural, social or political?

I am genuinely interested in your response, please elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Foiled again:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rse-countries/

India is more diverse than the UK is, in terms of ethnicity.
    European is an ethnic group...

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question. Technically speaking, having British citizenship or a claim to British citizenship would make you British. Having direct British heritage (eg. one generation away) would also count I think.

Culturally or socially, I don't think it's really possible to say you can or cannot be British based on any of this because there isn't one individual, institution etc. that have the right to say "you must do this or you are not British". For example, if drinking tea makes you British, what about someone who was born and raised in Britain who doesn't like tea?

It all comes down to the fact that what "makes" someone a certain nationality is subjective and therefore cannot be defined and certainly not forced upon individuals. Saying this, I do support civic nationalism (Canada, US) over homogeneous nationalism (most of right-wing Europe, inc. UK).

ReputationRep:
    Anglo Saxon blood. Every so often you see people that jump about at you almost cos they look so typically native.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.