Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will you ever be as rich as your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    A major theme going through the mainstream media at the moment is around how hard the current generation of graduates are being hit by increased competition in the job market, a lowering of pension plans and huge increases in house prices.All to often we hear about how we're being called "generation rent" as many will struggle to get a house deposit.

However, with the internet we have access to resources our parents would have never had. We can search the entire country for jobs at the click of a button, shop online to find the absolute best deals and invest in company shares without ever needing to step into Wall Street.

Do you think young people these days will never be as rich as their parents? Or do you think the increased opportunities will mean those who work for it can easily generate more wealth now?
    If my parents hadn't blown all their dosh, I'd say I had no chance. But they did, so possibly. But I'm not in the generation you're talking about

ReputationRep:
    Considering both of my parents are unemployed and on benefits (both are disabled), I hope so

Seeing as my dad earns the absolute minimum for a full time job, yeah I will

ReputationRep:
    my parents probably, but in general no

Call me a luddite if you must, but the reality is that technology has changed the game. Booms and busts are gonna become more frequent. neoliberal principles will mean government and businesses are gonna find more ways to **** the common man and can justify it with emerging efficient systems that can do the job better. Things like zero hour contracts and a massive part time employment sector suggest that jobs as we know it (ie fixed professions for life)are defunct and coming to an end. the only ones who are gonna stay ahead are the programmers and those in really unique fields and the innovative. even traditional professions like law are likely to be under threat from technological advances.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are African so duh...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    tbf my dad isn't exactly poor but since he isn't pushing 7 figures, that's my goal

ReputationRep:
    Easily, my total household income is below £25,000.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly not sure, graduated last year, finally looks like I've found a potential career, albeit starting salary is low there seems to be room for reasonably rapid progression. Dads salary, I'd hope to get to that at least, he earns roughly £28,000-30,000 (gross). Wouldn't mind that much if I didn't make all that much more tbh, house prices in midlands are pretty reasonable. Will I? Who knows tbh it's difficult to predict what will happen in this boom and bust situation we seem to have..

ReputationRep:
    No idea. Although, I'd like to think so, as my mother is a chef and kitchen manger, and earns about £20K a year if that (and she is a Catering Manager- so a few rungs about what would be considered a Chef).

My Father was a Fireman and Mental Health Nurse and was on a similar wage, but slightly higher than Mother. So I think the pay of my parents didn't really exceed £15-20,000 pa.

I'd like to think I could exceed this but who knows. My career path is very competitive, and I'm currently unable to get a job in my degree field. Currently working in a min wage job right now at age 25, so maybe I'll break even with parents maybe I wont....

Such is life.

ReputationRep:
    No. My dad earns a lot, and I don't think I'll ever earn as much. I might have a better quality of life (I don't plan on having m/any children and doing such a stressful job) but that's it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    No. My dad earns a lot, and I don't think I'll ever earn as much. I might have a better quality of life (I don't plan on having m/any children and doing such a stressful job) but that's it.
    If I earn even half of what my Dad earnt at his peak (Head of Finance for some company in the City) I'll consider that a success. He was earning six figures and worked damn hard to get there.

My Mum earns around 35k which isn't bad for a single parent who barely worked for 15 years, but I'll be disappointed with myself if I'm not on that salary in 5 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not with a job, only if I become a successful business man.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If I reach the level of wealth that my parents have, I'll be considered by the majority of English people to have made a vast amount of money. Of course, for me, this would be seen as simply equaling my parents.

Furthermore, it would be even harder for me to attain a net worth greater than them, though I do aim for this.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.