Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

vegan, vegetarian, omnivore? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: are you vegan, vegetarian, omni, other?
    vegan
    17.31%
    vegetarian
    24.36%
    omni
    54.49%
    other
    3.85%

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarian. Aiming to be vegan eventually- I've cut down on dairy products & am trying more substitutes. I know quite a lot of people who are vegetarian or pescetarian, more so within the last few years. I first went veggie when I was about 12 & hardly anyone I knew at the time was vegetarian. I actually got bullied for it at one point. When I was a bit older, about 14/ 15/16 I was still in a small minority but people were more curious about why I was vegetarian although often it was like they thought I must be missing out on something by not eating meat.

ReputationRep:
    VEGAN all the way.. I think that it is the best decision I've made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Omni - and if there is an increase in vegan/vegetarians then it shows people's knowledge of nutrition is decreasing.
    Lol good luck with that eventual cancer.

ReputationRep:
    i initially went vegan at 14 and spent lots of hours as a teen posting on similar forums to this about animal rights, environmentalism, nutrition etc. i was almost always the only vegan with a few vegetarians here and there backing me up, and this was around 8 years ago. the poll results so far are pretty like, astonishing tbh

i'm really excited that the world seems to be moving towards a plant based diet and embracing the idea of veganism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    Because a huge lack of protein has no side effects..:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Whats that got to do with a vegetarian/vegan diet?

ReputationRep:
    Meat doesn't cause cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Who says a vegan lifestyle means you lack protein? I most certainly get enough protein.

(Original post by RFowler)
    Meat doesn't cause cancer.
    ...I'm not even going to bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairytalecolours)
    I've noticed an increase in news stories related to veganism recently. In one article I read that there are currently around 150,000 vegans in the UK. Have you noticed an increased awareness in regards to veganism/animal rights/environmentalism? Are you vegan, vegetarian or omni? Do you know many vegans or vegetarians?
    Where are these 10 other vegans? :woo: We should form a TSR Vegan society

And where are these 150,000 odd vegans in the UK hiding - I refuse to date a non-vegan

ReputationRep:
    All humans are omnivores.

ReputationRep:
    "Eventual cancer" are the words you used, and that implies a very high to near certain cancer risk. Which is simply not the case.

Some processed meats allegedly increase cancer risk by about 18% when consumed excessively. Most people have a low risk of cancer to start with, and an 18% increase doesn't amount to much.

And OP didn't specifically mention processed meats, or how much he/she eats, so the concerns about processed meats might not even be relevant at all.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Who says a vegan lifestyle means you lack protein? I most certainly get enough protein.

Not sure if you're aware but legumes (beans, lentils...), nuts, soy, veggies, and wholegrains all contain protein and most of these contain more protein per gram than meat. Vegans certainly do not lack protein, this is an absolute misconception. I don't preach and I don't like preachy people on either side of the debate (omnivore or vegan) but i believe people should understand food and where key nutrients come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    "Eventual cancer" are the words you used, and that implies a very high to near certain cancer risk. Which is simply not the case.

Some processed meats allegedly increase cancer risk by about 18% when consumed excessively. Most people have a low risk of cancer to start with, and an 18% increase doesn't amount to much.

And OP didn't specifically mention processed meats, or how much he/she eats, so the concerns about processed meats might not even be relevant at all.
    Are you actually kidding me? "an 18% increase doesn't amount to much" Mate that is almost 1/5th of an increase. That is a ****ing lot.

ReputationRep:
    Normal.

So omnivore.

/FlameSuitEnabled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinnyPinny77)
    Not sure if you're aware but legumes (beans, lentils...), nuts, soy, veggies, and wholegrains all contain protein and most of these contain more protein per gram than meat. Vegans certainly do not lack protein, this is an absolute misconception. I don't preach and I don't like preachy people on either side of the debate (omnivore or vegan) but i believe people should understand food and where key nutrients come from.

I am a vegan and tend to agree with the above, but one thing I would just bring up (without actually knowing an awful lot about it!) is the issue of incomplete proteins. From what I gather some plant-based proteins are not sufficient on their own to constitute the same amount of protein because our bodies cannot use them in the same way due to their 'incompleteness'.

Someone correct me if I wrong but it's just something to be aware of.

And hey, eating plants is still way healthier

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarian 11 and a half years now. I put cheese on almost everything though, so veganism isn't really something I could manage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    All humans are omnivores.
    *some humans are omnivores - not all
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by greggyt94)
    I am a vegan and tend to agree with the above, but one thing I would just bring up (without actually knowing an awful lot about it!) is the issue of incomplete proteins. From what I gather some plant-based proteins are not sufficient on their own to constitute the same amount of protein because our bodies cannot use them in the same way due to their 'incompleteness'.

Someone correct me if I wrong but it's just something to be aware of.

And hey, eating plants is still way healthier
    Hey,

Yes some are incomplete for instance peas being paired with say rice or a wholegrain becomes a 'complete' protein. So in this instance you are correct! I've found it loads easier to put on muscle and bulk up since quitting the meat almost 10 years ago. My blood tests recently showed perfect healthy range for B12 and Iron and I don't take supplements for either of these.

I don't tell people how to live their life but I believe it's best to know all about food before judging or making sweeping statements like 'vegans are abnormal' or 'vegans are deficient in protein' because it's simply not true. Also doctors advocate for everyone to eat more vegetables and fruits...not eat tons more meat. I mostly think the presence of antibiotics, hormones and toxins which are present in all of these due to injection/medicine for farmed animals or from pollution in the sea are definitely not good for the human body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinnyPinny77)

Good post but the acidity point is crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.