Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

It's first of the month! What is your pre-breakfast mass? (Monthly weighin!) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Getting there mate, 6'2'' so not huge haha, end goal is 100kg 7-8ish percent so still got some ways to go and probable need a bit of "extra help" to get there
    Ahh healthy dose of Vitamin S never hurt....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Ahh healthy dose of Vitamin S never hurt....
    Hopefully not anyway, I hate needles :lol:

ReputationRep:
    ...Because you're 105kg?

Firstly the guy is a severely underweight climber. A lot of climbers I know have a physique like his (he posted a picture of his body in another thread); very lean, clearly there is muscle mass, but not a lot of it, and are great at pullups etc.

You'll very rarely get some Frank Medrano type of guy at 100+kg. Strength/weight ratios etc.
    So doesn't that mean he wouldn't be able to lift over 50% of his body mass... Really don't know what point you're trying to make here..

(Frank Medrano is around 75kg and 32 years old)... Anyway go look around on YT you'll see that most people doing 1 rep or more of pullups with 30kg are 70kg+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reety)
    So doesn't that mean he wouldn't be able to lift over 50% of his body mass... Really don't know what point you're trying to make here..

(Frank Medrano is around 75kg and 32 years old)... Anyway go look around on YT you'll see that most people doing 1 rep or more of pullups with 30kg are 70kg+.
    Find me somebody fantastic at high weigh /high rep bodyweight exercises over 100kg in weight.

My point is strength/weight ratio

ReputationRep:
    Find me somebody fantastic at high weigh /high rep bodyweight exercises over 100kg in weight.

My point is strength/weight ratio
    Yeah completely did not read my post then. I was saying that I was surprised that he could do 2 reps of pull-ups with 30kg strapped to him... Then compared him to me.. of my strength and weight.. and I've been training for 4 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reety)
    Yeah completely did not read my post then. I was saying that I was surprised that he could do 2 reps of pull-ups with 30kg strapped to him... Then compared him to me.. of my strength and weight.. and I've been training for 4 years...

He is approx 55kg, lifting 30kg. That's 85kg.

You are 100kg + 30kg, 130kg pull ups.

I don't see why this would surprise you? If he said he deadlifts the same as you, that would be different.

He is a climber. A huge proportion of his training would consist of pull up/pull up like movements.

ReputationRep:
    For pull-ups (where leverages don't come into play unlike other BW exercises), unless you're extremely heavy/fat then relative strength ratios don't change that much between varying BWs. It's mainly the total weight that varies dramatically between heavier and lighter BWs.

The strongest pullers I know are 90-100kg, including the guinness world record which is something like BW+100kg @ 100kg (200kg total) or slightly less (can't remember). There was also another guy I saw who did one arm chin +10kg @ 90kg, so basically BW+20kg when equated two-arm weighted variations. Which is madness.

Point is that you could find a 100kg person who can do BW+100kg (= 200kg total and 1xBW)
    but you absolutely could not find someone who is 70kg who can do BW+100kg (let alone BW+130kg for the same 200kg total as above). Just not physiologically possible. MAYBE BW+84kg (=154kg total and 1.2xBW), but that'd be rare.

So if you're heavier than you should be capable of a higher total than a lighter person. But if you're lighter then you should be capable of a slightly better ratio.

But it's not anywhere near 4xBW versus 2xBW like some people seem to think. Maybe 1.2xBW vs 1.0xBW for the 70kg vs 100kg comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it depends on the exercise. It could be 4xBW vs 2xBW for some.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.