Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Relegation Thread 15/16 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    You have to say though although Bournemouth are an attacking side, if Newcastle are letting a team like this absolutely dominate them, they're pretty much doomed themselves in the long run, they're incredibly fortunate to be leading.
    We'll go down if we play like did today.

But if we play like we have the majority of the season, we'll stay up. Last week we dominated Stoke and Butland had a blinder stopping us from winning, today we've had the good fortune.

That's football.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bournemouth did not have luck on their side today. It'll be a long winter for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Bournemouth did not have luck on their side today. It'll be a long winter for them.
    Aye Redknapp was acting confident for them saying they'll pick up points but looking at the fixture list unfortunately I don't see much room to until next year. West Brom and Palace seem the only ones with any potential realistically. Bar possibly a draw with Chelsea if they decide to continue the **** form, we'll see what happens with Stoke today.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Aye Redknapp was acting confident for them saying they'll pick up points but looking at the fixture list unfortunately I don't see much room to until next year. West Brom and Palace seem the only ones with any potential realistically. Bar possibly a draw with Chelsea if they decide to continue the **** form, we'll see what happens with Stoke today.
    It's a real shame for Howe, who hasn't been given the best resources to try and make a good fist of survival. He made shrewd signings and had the crux of a hungry, good, free-flowing and offensive team.

Sadly, injuries have hampered that and he's been left in a similar situation to Blackpool in 2010-11, or Burnley last campaign.

ReputationRep:
    Blackman
    Ake Hector Djilobodji Rahman
    Atsu Loftus-Cheek
    Kenedy Chalobah Traore
    Bamford

Look out for them in the championship
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Sadly, injuries have hampered that and he's been left in a similar situation to Blackpool in 2010-11, or Burnley last campaign.
    I don't like Blackpool being lumped in with those two. They managed 39 points which would have kept them up any other year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    I don't like Blackpool being lumped in with those two. They managed 39 points which would have kept them up any other year.
    Meant in the way they captured the neutral's hearts and became the nation's second club in many ways.

Bournemouth can't stay up with Boruc. It's as simple as that. They have nothing offensively, bar Ritchie and Murray.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Think it's safe to say Villa are going down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good start for Bournemouth at Swansea, and Josh King's performance will give them hope that there's life after Callum Wilson. They really need to be holding onto 2-0 advantages though, especially against a struggling side under pressure.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Swansea have appointed Alan Curtis until the end of the season. He said he didn't want the job previously so i'm guessing nobody was available who they wanted. They'd have been better off keeping Monk.

ReputationRep:
    Well OP, nobody expected Watford to be in the position they're in now. Or Swansea

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth still hanging on for now, a win and they're above Chelsea...lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Keeping Monk would have been really, really brave.

He wasn't impressing, but I think he'll be a fine manager somewhere one day. I was always impressed by his understanding of players and the game, and he really impressed me during his first 18 months at the Liberty. I just feel maybe his novelty wore off eventually, and he did well to stick it out for so long, in truth.

Owners typically want to act rather than die wondering. Inaction is the biggest weakness for many businessmen, so it's no surprise Jenkins - with a pretty decent record in changing manager - opted for an alteration.

He definitely didn't have Curtis staying on in his mind, though. It's a shame his approaches for others didn't materialise. Bielsa would have been a very curious appointment.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really think of Swansea as particularly serious relegation candidates until last night. Horrific result for them.

After Villa, are they favourites to go down now? Revising my prediction to Villa, Swansea and Norwich in lieu of recent results and transfer dealings.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Long shot but what if we do somehow beat Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    Huw Jenkins was always lauded for making the right decisions but the one to sack Monk without a credible replacement has backfired. Curtis could this year's Terry Connor sadly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Huw Jenkins was always lauded for making the right decisions but the one to sack Monk without a credible replacement has backfired. Curtis could this year's Terry Connor sadly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh i'm fully expecting Swansea to go down now. They've only improved the squad that finished 8th last season which is shocking. Shows what difference a manager can make - Sunderland by contrast have the worst squad in the PL but you knew as soon as Big Sam took over that they'd do enough to stay up.

Last spot is anyone guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Long shot but what if we do somehow beat Leicester?
    You could win your next 5 and probably still be in the relegation zone haha. Would be a tiny little glimmer of hope if you beat Leicester, but if you do manage to claw your way to 17th it would be the greatest escape since 1943.

ReputationRep:
    Need directions to the champions thread 15/16 since Im a gooner. Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Didn't really think of Swansea as particularly serious relegation candidates until last night. Horrific result for them.

After Villa, are they favourites to go down now? Revising my prediction to Villa, Swansea and Norwich in lieu of recent results and transfer dealings.
    (Original post by Aky786UK)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yeh i'm fully expecting Swansea to go down now. They've only improved the squad that finished 8th last season which is shocking. Shows what difference a manager can make - Sunderland by contrast have the worst squad in the PL but you knew as soon as Big Sam took over that they'd do enough to stay up.

Last spot is anyone guess.
    They are really, really poor. You look at that side - and probably only Ayew and Ashley Williams are pulling their weight. Their decision to ship out Dyer was extremely questionable, and they can't seem to buy a goal in truth. Eder was a total waste of money, and Gomis lacks self-belief and confidence - but a relegation scrap isn't the time to get it.

Getting rid of Shelvey for £12m was good business - economically and financially - but selling one of your key players to a relegation rival? Hm. That could back-fire.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.