Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What makes a degree 'prestigious'? watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously firms love to hire from the best universities but some of them also have a preference for highly quantitative degrees such as Maths, Physics, Engineering, Economics and Computer Science and given that everything else is similar guys doing these degrees will be prioritised over guys doing stuff like business management or Accounting and Finance (not bashing these degrees in any way) so i believe in todays competitve market everything counts including the "prestige" of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Is £9,000 & about 7k x 3 (years) worth it? Do you really need it or do you just want it?

I will reserve my own view of what i think about degrees, instead i'll give a conventional answer. A degree is good for employers as it provides a higher form of understanding complex ideas. Degrees are useful for the main types of careers: Doctors, architects, engineers (professionals etc). A degree was formerly about academic status but the modern economy nowadays is very different where practical skills are required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    I was only referring to a specific sector (banking and insurance). Evidently Imperial is one of the best universities in the world (was the second best by reference to the QS World Rankings recently) and warwick is also one of the best universities in the country. Those two evidently have high performing graduates also as do many other top universities such as Exeter, Durham, UCL etc, so apologies for the confusion.
    Thats fine dont worry i just thought it was weird that firms would not consider Warwick, Imperial, Durham or UCL yet these universities are loved by banking and insurance companies, and being a LSE student myself i can tell you that Warwick and Imperial grads are extremely competitve hence i mentioned those 2 in specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INF10)
    Thats fine dont worry i just thought it was weird that firms would not consider Warwick, Imperial, Durham or UCL yet these universities are loved by banking and insurance companies, and being a LSE student myself i can tell you that Warwick and Imperial grads are extremely competitve hence i mentioned those 2 in specific.
    I am only referring to the three that I know of myself, so it is highly unlikely to be representative of the entire banking and insurance division anyway. I myself am wanting to go to Imperial, if I don't get into Oxford, so I wouldn't degrade them . Im sure they would consider those universities anyway I was just giving a rough basis to indicate that selection processes are tough at the moment, and you have to have attended a well-regarded university to reach the top jobs, which is self-evident in an employment climate like today's.

ReputationRep:
    I am only referring to the three that I know of myself, so it is highly unlikely to be representative of the entire banking and insurance division anyway. I myself am wanting to go to Imperial, if I don't get into Oxford, so I wouldn't degrade them . Im sure they would consider those universities anyway I was just giving a rough basis to indicate that selection processes are tough at the moment, and you have to have attended a well-regarded university to reach the top jobs, which is self-evident in an employment climate like today's.
    Yeah i know what you mean, and also good luck in your application process, what are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INF10)
    Yeah i know what you mean, and also good luck in your application process, what are you applying for?
    Thank you! Petroleum Geology at Imperial, Exeter, UCL and Bristol and now just waiting to hear from Oxford for Geology/Earth Science 😊

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Petroleum Geology at Imperial, Exeter, UCL and Bristol and now just waiting to hear from Oxford for Geology/Earth Science 😊
    Nice great universities you got there mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy2013)
    Is £9,000 & about 7k x 3 (years) worth it? Do you really need it or do you just want it?

I will reserve my own view of what i think about degrees, instead i'll give a conventional answer. A degree is good for employers as it provides a higher form of understanding complex ideas. Degrees are useful for the main types of careers: Doctors, architects, engineers (professionals etc). A degree was formerly about academic status but the modern economy nowadays is very different where practical skills are required.
    I agree with your points..but the degree also offers some other transferable skills and competencies (which I am not saying that you cannot take through work experience) and because of the competition nowadays (everyone having a Bachelor's degree) it the easy way to filter people for a job position...

ReputationRep:
    You can go to a public library and learn far more and understand more complex ideas that will transfer to employment better than going to an institution for 3 years. The reason we learn in groups owes to efficiency and rationality, as Weber or Ritzer G. would say 'a McDonalisation of Society.' However, if the degree is a prerequisite for the job then it is what it is. Marx said the employee should negotiate terms with the employer. It's quite farcical really as student loans come from the bankers' polluted minds...and the politicians embrace the 'right to an education' mantra.

ReputationRep:
    The degree alone is not prestigious. The university which you went to, as well as the degree classification are important. Obviously a first in engineering at Cambridge is more prestigious than a third in engineering from Coventry.

I would also say entrance requirements, perceived difficulty/rigorousness and employability of the course are other factors.

ReputationRep:
    The degree, the grade, the institution....are just rhetoric to preserve control and keep bums on seats and keeps the universities in business. Stop listening to all this rhetoric and use your common sense. Employers are like robots who will believe anything. It's a game ....if you have the right hand, you get the right life. If the truth be known, degrees are not worth the paper they're written on...a but like money actually..as it only has value if the economy is performing well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    The degree alone is not prestigious. The university which you went to, as well as the degree classification are important. Obviously a first in engineering at Cambridge is more prestigious than a third in engineering from Coventry.

I would also say entrance requirements, perceived difficulty/rigorousness and employability of the course are other factors.
    It is just about control...a degree is a degree no matter where you obtain it or necessarily the particular grade. This is all just about the subliminal to keep us all in control, in one subject....it keeps the economy going. If we all had law degrees and economics degrees and engineering degrees, which jobs would we do? A law degree, the law universities would argue, is better than an engineering degree. It's a relative argument therefore. Cambridge University would say, actually a Cambridge law degree is a better degree than from other universities, or the local college. I would say if you study the same content at the same level then the qualifications are the same. it is just about businesses endeavouring to keep their business going and therefore the university as an economy thrives. It's a game!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)

100% correct. However it is also much more prestigious to have a first from Cambridge than it is to have a first from Coventry. It takes far more rigour to get into Cambridge in the first place. It takes far more rigour to keep up with the work load at Cambridge etc. This all reflects when employers look at candidates, they know how hard it is to get to Oxbridge in the first place, and they know the level and quantity of work one is put through.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.