Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Should prejudice against BTECs be classed as hate speech? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windies)
    Reasons why I will never consider BTEC to be the same as A-levels...
    Triple D*, or as they call it is equivalent to A*/A*/A* - give me a break.

In my Sixth-Form College (one of the largest in Britain), anywhere from 50-80 students get triple D*'s per year, over the last 5 years there have been 10-15 students who have probably achieved A*/A*/A, of which only 6 have gotten into Oxbridge.

If BTEC's were equivalent to alevels - triple d* was equivalent to triple a* in alevels, why is it that BTEC's seldom bag a place at a RG Uni, let alone Oxbridge?
    A lot of triple d* fail first year uni too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    Sociology and psychology are hard A levels. They require a lot of specific knowledge and the ability to analyse an argument. They require the ability to evaluate research, something not taught in STEM subjects.

BTECS are also hard. They require the ability to think and analyse things. They also require a lot of knowledge and they teach you specific career related skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like writing what the teacher tells you to write until you get a good BTEC grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Let's be honest Dave, it wasn't a choice.
    Lol. Well my options were rather limited, yes. I wasn't academic, so the choices were to either continue with education about something I'm interested in (sports science - loosely to the human body generally), go into the marines (as I liked fitness), or get any job I could get without consideration of further development.

I'm not arguing BTEC's are superior to A levels, or equivalent grade to grade exactly (D* to A*) , but they have great value as a practical option for those who up to that point are either not academic or have a very focused idea of what they want to do in the future for which a BTEC would suffice.

I shouldn't have to defend the idea of BTECs... but clearly everyone is so intelligent and open minded that they need to have the value of diversity in teaching methods and opportunities for those from lower SES backgrounds or parental education explained to them.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology and psychology are hard A levels. They require a lot of specific knowledge and the ability to analyse an argument. They require the ability to evaluate research, something not taught in STEM subjects.

BTECS are also hard. They require the ability to think and analyse things. They also require a lot of knowledge and they teach you specific career related skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Common Entrance exams are harder than a BTEC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucasium)
    Like writing what the teacher tells you to write until you get a good BTEC grade?
    Umm no. Like actually using your brain to come to your own conclusions about the topic.

We get told to go off and research stuff then write about our conclusions. You get one resubmission per unit. You need to get most stuff right first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BTECS arent as hard as A-Levels , but they just require a lot of time. Honestly i'd rather do an A-level than a BTEC. Either way as this is TSR everyone will side with the A-levels. But the prejudice against BTEC students isnt hate speech , its pretty funny tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godivaontherocks)
    BTECs - not for everyone. A-levels - not for everyone.

How's that?
    Welllll,... it depends on what you want to do with your life.

ReputationRep:
    Umm no. Like actually using your brain to come to your own conclusions about the topic.

We get told to go off and research stuff then write about our conclusions. You get one resubmission per unit. You need to get most stuff right first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would be like me calling the teacher over to help me in an exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British Jesus)
    Why say, ihatePE what do you want to do with your life? (Leaving Europe because we are a bunch **** isn't an answer btw )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Lol. Well my options were rather limited, yes. I wasn't academic, so the choices were to either continue with education about something I'm interested in (sports science - loosely to the human body generally), go into the marines (as I liked fitness), or get any job I could get without consideration of further development.

I'm not arguing BTEC's are superior to A levels, or equivalent grade to grade exactly (D* to A*) , but they have great value as a practical option for those who up to that point are either not academic or have a very focused idea of what they want to do in the future for which a BTEC would suffice.

I shouldn't have to defend the idea of BTECs... but clearly everyone is so intelligent and open minded that they need to have the value of diversity in teaching methods and opportunities for those from lower SES backgrounds or parental education explained to them.
    You have just said that you are not academic so could you morally do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British Jesus)
    I guess you have a point there.

ReputationRep:
    You have just said that you are not academic so could you morally do medicine?
    I could "morally" do medicine?
    Intelligence and knowledge aren't really unchanging constructs. I would say I have improved my academics a fair bit since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richpeasant)
    BTECs are not as hard as A-levels, no where near, especially not STEM subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It must depend on your strengths - exams are easier for some, and BTECs provide an alternative for those who are better at coursework.... I only do A-Levels, and BTECs look easier, but thats probably because the other option always looks more appealing when you're struggling with your own....

And of course they can't compare to STEM subjects because they don't have a BTEC equivalent for every A-Level....

ReputationRep:
    It would be like me calling the teacher over to help me in an exam
    No. Totally different. More like asking a teacher to give you feedback on an essay for you to improve it.

Or asking a teacher for help during class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Honestly think BTECs are great. Best academic/professional choice I have made was to do one.
    I've never done one; mind telling why Dave?

ReputationRep:
    You can still be 'academic' and achieve very good grades despite your family's background. Neither of my parents were university-educated at the time but I chose A-levels. Maybe I'm a poor example, but I'm at uni with so many people who've achieved A's and A*s at A-level despite coming from low socioeconomic backgrounds. I think it's a given that we often struggle more than those from more privileged backgrounds but if you put in the work, it's not impossible in this country. That's one thing that's so great about England. You get so many options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I've never done one; mind telling why Dave?
    Said above I think, probably in a few of my rant posts ^^
    Basically doing a BTEC in sports science made me a prospective neuroscientist or doctor, instead of checkout operator or similar.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    A-levels > BTEC.....

If you're too stupid to do a levels then go do BTEC. Like it or hate it that's just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, what kind of thread is this? As long as you get to do what you want in Uni, it's fine.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.