Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hate having such a common name :( watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by loveleest)
    No one ever calls you by your last name though (I mean rarely)
    And no it's not, I actually hate it so much It could be 'worse' I guess. But no, having a common name is sh*t
    A friends surname is a females first name. She sometimes get called by her surname too.

At least you have a name people can spell. I get people who can't spell or say my properly. They also stick random letters in my first name too.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you moving to in London? I currently live there Ahh, yeah that's the same for me. If they are your really close friends, then you should tell them. Or if that is difficult for you then let them just call you by your old name. When you go to London just start using your new name, it would be a fresh and brand new start
    I'm not sure yet, staying with a friend who lives close to Heathrow till I sort out a place Oh cool, do you have any tips for becoming a Londoner thanks?

Yeah I don't think my best friends will really care, it's more people whom I'm just acquainted with, I don't want them to think I'm weird. Not sure if I should change my name legally too ahh, new housemates might be confused otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    A friends surname is a females first name. She sometimes get called by her surname too.

At least you have a name people can spell. I get people who can't spell or say my properly. They also stick random letters in my first name too.
    My last name is a common boys name so I can't get called by my last name
    ahh okay, that does suck. yeah so I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of having a unique name/common name
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    My last name is a common boys name so I can't get called by my last name
    ahh okay, that does suck. yeah so I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of having a unique name/common name
    Autocorrect really hasn't helped me over the years either. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    try having Bernadette!!!!! there is nothing with my name on!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Danielle but I have been a Dani since I was 11....

However over the years - no one seems to be able to spell my name correctly.

My email even states "Dani" for everyone to see and I get "Hi Danni", "Hi Danny", "Hi Dannii".

If you take the 'elle' from Danielle - you get Dani. How hard is it?!

Haha! Rant over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BerniHurton)
    try having Bernadette!!!!! there is nothing with my name on!
    Tis a beautiful name though

ReputationRep:
    My name is annoying to tell people because they always struggle to say it and makes the situation awkward lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    my surname is "Aurangzeb" - the amount of people who struggle with pronouncing it kills me. so awful.
    Phonetically, that seems to be pronounced "Oar-ang-zeb". Could have different stresses within it, I guess.

How's it pronounced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Phonetically, that seems to be pronounced "Oar-ang-zeb". Could have different stresses within it, I guess.

How's it pronounced?
    Yep you're right, no stresses, just "o-rang-zeb" haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    I'm not sure yet, staying with a friend who lives close to Heathrow till I sort out a place :) Oh cool, do you have any tips for becoming a Londoner thanks?

Yeah I don't think my best friends will really care, it's more people whom I'm just acquainted with, I don't want them to think I'm weird. Not sure if I should change my name legally too ahh, new housemates might be confused otherwise :p
    oh cool, I dont think i've been down heathrow before though. London is quite expensive so it would be great to start looking for good paying jobs if you haven't found one. But London can be quite fun if you have the money to spend. Its great to go shopping and for going out to eat. London is beautiful at night especially during christmas where the decorations are. I think you will have a great time here, try to be as sociable as you can and meet new people :) Just be yourself and everything would be fine! Transport in London tends to be great compared to some areas, but for public travelling you need an oyster card.

You can go with your name for like 2 years or so and if you like it then legally change it if you want, but I dont think its necessary to change it straight away. I have the same problem because if i tell my acquantices my new name, I cant be bothered to answer all those endless questions lol, So yeah just tell your close friends :)

ReputationRep:
    oh cool, I dont think i've been down heathrow before though. London is quite expensive so it would be great to start looking for good paying jobs if you haven't found one. But London can be quite fun if you have the money to spend. Its great to go shopping and for going out to eat. London is beautiful at night especially during christmas where the decorations are. I think you will have a great time here, try to be as sociable as you can and meet new people Just be yourself and everything would be fine! Transport in London tends to be great compared to some areas, but for public travelling you need an oyster card.

You can go with your name for like 2 years or so and if you like it then legally change it if you want, but I dont think its necessary to change it straight away. I have the same problem because if i tell my acquantices my new name, I cant be bothered to answer all those endless questions lol, So yeah just tell your close friends
    I have one sorted its why I'm going actually haha But I want to save. Hopefully I'll make friends before everything stops during christmas! Yeah I'll get one.

I'll do that I think, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Use a nickname or go by your middle name?

Alternatively if you're reallyyy serious then see getting your name changed via deed poll

ReputationRep:
    when you start uni your tutors SHOULD ask you if you prefer to be called anything else, they did that in all of my classes, every single tutor, it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Yeah I feel you. I haven't decided on a nickname yet though lol

Margaret. My grandma chose it :rofl:
    Marge
    Maggie
    Mag(s)
    Mugsy
    Muginder
    Muginderish
    Magstar
    Magzy
    Mug
    Magpie

ReputationRep:
    at least you can find your name on souvenirs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yung7up)
    marge
    maggie
    mag(s)
    mugsy
    muginder
    muginderish
    magstar
    magzy
    mug
    magpie
    loooooool

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.