Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you prefer compliment on your looks or personality? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you prefer compliments on looks or personality?
    Looks
    43.40%
    Personality
    56.60%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    sounds like you don't care about your personality much? :unimpressed:
    No, I mean I trust myself to shape it, and my opinions, because you have to be authentic to yourself. I mean if you trust other people solely to determine what your values are, you have no core. Whereas looks is far more subjective and about other people's opinions, they hold more weight. If I thought I was good looking, I don't, but if I did it would largely be irrelevant against the weight of opinion. Not the same with personality exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Looks compliments are the only compliments where I've ever felt more than "ok thanks"

dunno why but ye

ReputationRep:
    Looks. I feel more insecure about that and rarely get compliments about my looks, so if someone genuinely meant it and it came out of nowhere I'd probably get really happy about it. Sad I know but yeah. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Any kind of compliment is nice but I prefer compliments on my personality or achievements instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    both really as i know i have a good personality i like to be complemented on my looks especialy when i make an effort to look nice
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Which one?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be complimented on my looks purely because I'm used to being complimented on my personality.

I prefer compliments on my personality I already get them on looks.

ReputationRep:
    On my looks.

I already know I have a fab personality :teehee:

But I can get insecure about my looks and whilst compliments might make me feel a tad uncomfortable as I don't always know how to respond, I get more of an ego boost and feel better about myself for that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    looks tbh, being known as nice doesnt really have a massive impact or leave a deep impression

ReputationRep:
    I think looks. A lot of people get told they're nice and cool and whatever, and while it does enlighten me, it's nice to know when people enjoy my looks.

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

ReputationRep:
    Persona over looks...the most on my looks is the size of my bum...from secondary school, till now.

ReputationRep:
    Looks is based on randomness really, its like someone congratulating you for rolling a dice. Personality however, is something you take care of yourself, thus in my opinion it is much more rewarding to be complimented on personality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Looks. I already know I'm a good guy once you get to know me, I often get told I'm funny without really trying and I don't really "work" on my personality; whereas my look I work hard on and love when it's appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Compliments of any sort are nice, I'll take either.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm shallow, but I'd say my looks.

I actually work for my looks, my personality, is just my personality, I do work to change it sometimes (for good reasons), but it's not something that I prepare?

Also, with compliments on personality, it just sounds sarcastic and insincere, and quite scathing, too. Whereas compliments on looks seem to be more genuine

ReputationRep:
    i'll take what i can get tbh

but, i was thinking looks, because i like my personality and would not care if someone else didn't
    but then again i never really believe compliments on my looks? not because i'm insecure, i'm like aw thanks but it doesn't really make me feel anything because i'm like ya whatever they're a nice person
    with some exceptions tho

ReputationRep:
    Personality. I prefer it when someone tells me I'm smart or funny

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personality, mostly because I think about how sad it would be if someone got into a disfiguring accident and lost all their friends because they lost their looks. Whereas if their friends liked them for who they were, that wouldn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Hm. Well, I'd love to get a balance of the two in an ideal world.

But to be honest - looks. I'll admit it's vain, but I feel more self-confident after receiving a compliment on them. It may also be because I receive personality compliments a lot in comparison, so compliments regarding my appearance are a novelty :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.