Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most important arts/humanities subject watch

ReputationRep:
    English.

English is all about communication and looking at the world in a critical way IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    My god they do not!! I know plenty about the philosophy of science - and empirical evidence is only valuable if it is reliably repeatable. Just about everything economical and political are far from that. Whatever they study, if they're calling it science, it's damn bad science.
    This is merely a demonstration of an unfamiliarity with the philosophy of science and/or how is applies to the social sciences.

You seem to be arguing for a definition of science based on falsifiability and repeatability. You seem to be attempting to espouse a philosophy of science based on logical positivism, a dated view from the 1920s. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the philosophy of science here and here.

Social sciences do not fall under 'science' because of (your claim about) the repeatability of empirical evidence.

Then it apparently must have no effect at all. If you can be a bachelor of arts in a science, or a bachelor of science in an art, then having both BA and BSc degrees is obviously pointless. And yet we do. It is generally the case that BSc goes to sciences and BA's go to arts/humanities. Seems odd if this is all actually for nothing.
    The differentiation between BA and BS is largely a leftover artifact of historical naming practices. For example, a BPhil (Bachelor of Philosophy) from Oxford is actually an MA, but it goes by a different name. There is no such thing as a BS from Oxford either; and Oxford is not the only university to not give out BS degrees. This line of argument that you're trying to make here is fruitless and indicative a larger ignorance of how naming convention actually functions within academia.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a BMus Music degree. That's classical music, not popular music.

I don't know what to say... Personally, I don't see any arts/humanities subject as being more important/valuable than any other.
    Value and importance just seems to mean different things to different people so I'm not even going to get into that discussion. I go to a university which is pretty much all arts, humanities and social science subjects. I don't know about 'most important' but they all seem to have their own merits. Each to his own really.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It is funny that so many STEM snobs don't even know the difference between a social science and the humanities. Not so clever after all?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    Philosophy
    Without a doubt.

Philosophy is important for all other disciplines, including sciences, I'd argue :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli-Ol)
    Not that many, actually. And how many of them want to become translators, interpreters or diplomats? Or even use their language at all?

Speaking a language to native standard also doesn't mean you know how to translate appropriately.
    I don't see how that makes languages the most important subject.

(Original post by FireGarden)
    Then it apparently must have no effect at all. If you can be a bachelor of arts in a science, or a bachelor of science in an art, then having both BA and BSc degrees is obviously pointless. And yet we do. It is generally the case that BSc goes to sciences and BA's go to arts/humanities. Seems odd if this is all actually for nothing.
    It's just historical. Just like most people with PhDs are not truly "Doctors of Philosophy".
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Without a doubt.

Philosophy is important for all other disciplines, including sciences, I'd argue :holmes:
    Indeed, and the highest academic qualification is (generally) a Doctor of Philosophy, so that just confirms it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is a good suggestion. It just seems a bit overhyped to me though. You can teach the skill of arguing well in any subject, and in terms of content, I don't think Philosophy is that superior to History.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Philosophy
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by llys)
    Philosophy is a good suggestion. It just seems a bit overhyped to me though. You can teach the skill of arguing well in any subject, and in terms of content, I don't think Philosophy is that superior to History.
    You can't do history without philosophy :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godivaontherocks)
    I'm doing a BMus Music degree. That's classical music, not popular music.
    I think Music is the best, because it combines practical skills, creativity, knowledge, research and historical study. I think it is the most rounded subject and I think it is also a subject that children could excel in. (Unlike e.g. History. I think that History (while an excellent subject) has to be dumbed down too much if your target audience are school children.)

I don't know what to say... Personally, I don't see any arts/humanities subject as being more important/valuable than any other.
    Value and importance just seems to mean different things to different people so I'm not even going to get into that discussion. I go to a university which is pretty much all arts, humanities and social science subjects. I don't know about 'most important' but they all seem to have their own merits. Each to his own really.
    How boring.

ReputationRep:
    You can't do history without philosophy :eek3:
    Of course. You can't do anything without Philosophy, it is such an empty, applicable-to-all subject.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by llys)
    Of course. You can't do anything without Philosophy, it is such an empty, applicable-to-all subject.
    You think philosophy is empty? :shock: That's controversial

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as an important arts subject. They're all hobbies at best.

ReputationRep:
    You think philosophy is empty? :shock: That's controversial
    :lol: Sorry, I just phrased it badly. To me the most important aspect of Philosophy is the ability to argue well. Which is definitely one of the most important skills, but it is also a skill that could be taught in any other subject. Of course Philosophy has many other aspects to it, but those to me are not "most important".
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by llys)
    And is therefore at the root of all knowledge (and wisdom).

Discuss...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by llys)
    :lol: Sorry, I just phrased it badly. To me the most important aspect of Philosophy is the ability to argue well. Which is definitely one of the most important skills, but it is also a skill that could be taught in any other subject. Of course Philosophy has many other aspects to it, but those to me are not "most important".
    Ooh, I think it's so much more than that.

It's all about what is good evidence and what isn't, how do we know what we know, how should we go about conducting research.... etc.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by llys)
    This post is somewhat ironic. You're taking quite a nihilist (as in the empty part) approach to your meta-philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I think it's so much more than that.

It's all about what is good evidence and what isn't, how do we know what we know, how should we go about conducting research.... etc.
    I agree, but you could learn all that in History or Geography as well.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.