Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Guys, why would you offer your number instead of.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    One of my friends said you should always give a girl your number instead of the other way round, it was part of his pua thing, the idea is women usually have most of the control, you make her contact you and it swings things more in your favour. Not saying this guy is doing that, but it is a thing apparently.

I always just said "give me your number and I'll razz you, so you have mine". Equal, innit?
    Oh OK. I've never heard of that one before, but if it works for him who am I to criticise. This will be interesting though, when I do actually call him. I didn't even think to drop call him on the spot, I just thought I'd see how I felt later on. Its a good idea though.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    For me, it would be so that the girl could initiate further conversation beyond the first encounter; that way it also solves the problem of me not knowing when to text - too soon and it appears clingy, too late and they've probably moved on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    I usually do this now tbh. I'd rather the ball is in her court. If she's interested, she'll text me, if not, o well.
    I hear you, it makes sense. I've heard far too many guys being rejected and I've been in situations where I've had to reject guys, so this probably works out better. If she doesn't call then you get over it whereas having your confidence knocked on the spot must be a killer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phunky_fresh)
    Oh OK. I've never heard of that one before, but if it works for him who am I to criticise. This will be interesting though, when I do actually call him. I didn't even think to drop call him on the spot, I just thought I'd see how I felt later on. Its a good idea though.
    Well his pulling record was very good, it definitely worked for him. I guess it kind of looks confident, like "I know you'll call me".

I almost wanted to catch a girl giving me a fake number with that one! Never happened though. Another trick for seeing if someone's given you a fake number is to read it back, and deliberately get one digit wrong, if they don't correct you it's fake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    The only time I offer my number instead of exchanging both ways is if she is attractive enough for quick sex but not enough to expend effort to pursue. So if I get a message it shows her dedication and if I don't then it's no biggie.
    Lol Intriguing! Thanks for your take. I hope this isn't the case for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.C)
    it's a good way to find out if the stranger is interested in you enough to actually call/text back later or if they were just entertaining you.
    Fair enough. At the back of my mind I was/am a little worried he only approached me for his own entertainment.

(Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Why does it matter?

If he's given you his, then the balls in your court to contact him, which evidently shows you are interested. Have you called him?
    It really doesn't matter. I'm just overcomplicating things like I always do. I intend to call him later tonight, I hope he picks up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    That thing he said about confidence makes him a massive ego maniac.

#takesOneToKnowOne
    His PUA coach probably told him its the way to do it because you dont come across as keen or bothered which projects alphaness and makes the girl more curious / attracted

On a pua forum somewhere right now , he probably has a thread similar to this asking "how did i do"?

Either that or he is carrying a nokia 3310

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    For me, it would be so that the girl could initiate further conversation beyond the first encounter; that way it also solves the problem of me not knowing when to text - too soon and it appears clingy, too late and they've probably moved on.
    That's fair enough. I know how girls react sometimes if a guy shows too much interest too early on. Do you think if I call him today it's too early? I don't want to leave it too long and then regret not bothering to call him earlier.

Well his pulling record was very good, it definitely worked for him. I guess it kind of looks confident, like "I know you'll call me".

I almost wanted to catch a girl giving me a fake number with that one! Never happened though. Another trick for seeing if someone's given you a fake number is to read it back, and deliberately get one digit wrong, if they don't correct you it's fake.
    Lol exactly how this dude came across. I read back his number and he started repeating it back with me. You have been lucky! I've never given out a fake number before, I have given out a fake name before. Told a guy my name was Lisa once, a couple days later I'm walking down the street and I could hear someone shouting something. I couldn't hear properly, so I took out my headphones and turned around to see the same guy running towards me shouting out ''lisa" lmao.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    That's fair enough. I know how girls react sometimes if a guy shows too much interest too early on. Do you think if I call him today it's too early? I don't want to leave it too long and then regret not bothering to call him earlier.
    Trust me, I'm definitely not an expert. I'd probably call a day after the event or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    OK. Why did you decide to give her your number on this occasion?
    No reason, I just asked her to take my number.

ReputationRep:

Lol exactly how this dude came across. I read back his number and he started repeating it back with me. You have been lucky! I've never given out a fake number before, I have given out a fake name before. Told a guy my name was Lisa once, a couple days later I'm walking down the street and I could hear someone shouting something. I couldn't hear properly, so I took out my headphones and turned around to see the same guy running towards me shouting out ''lisa" lmao.
    I know you weren't asking me, but I think it's best just to call the next evening, don't look like you're playing games, just ask about meeting up again. Glad you said call, not text, as well. More confident.

To be fair I can't say I ever got that many numbers, and half of those I got I never messaged (so I guess they could have been fake). I don't know about fake names, but once I woke up having saved a girl's number under the name "girl". Could barely remember her so didn't bother pursueing that one... I did have a girl fake name (and fake nationality) me face to face, but she told me the truth after we'd shagged (she was kinda crazy).

I hear you, it makes sense. I've heard far too many guys being rejected and I've been in situations where I've had to reject guys, so this probably works out better. If she doesn't call then you get over it whereas having your confidence knocked on the spot must be a killer.
    Its not rejection based. Not initially at least. I'm not one to chase and play games like some girls are. I'd rather leave it in her hands to initiate and show interest than me having to second guess.

Rejection doesn't dent my confidence either. It shouldn't knock anyones confidence. If one has sound reasons to be confident and assured of themselves, and they are assured of themselves. one girl not being interested shouldn't affect that.

I personally think giving a girl your number shows confidence. You're giving it to her because you know she'll text you, and if she doesn't you're not too bothered. Depends on the context, though. There's a distinction between giving your number to a girl after an interest conversation and forming a connection, and forcing her to take it or her taking it to shut you up.

ReputationRep:
    I usually give the girl my number after she says i cant have hers.
    You know the usual..."i dont give out my number"..."i got a man"..etc.
    Drop it like boom ok what well do is this you take my number if you wanna call me then call me if you dont dont.
    Sometimes i tell her to turn around so i can write it on her back with a piece of paper.
    Bit of reverse pshycology so i can touch her so its a bit intimate.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see. So you aren't ever allowed to take a girls number under any circumstances?
    Well , if it's for professional purposes then yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Another possibility, he didnt want to come across aggressive or make you uncomfortable by asking for your number so he let you decide

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Sooo here's how it went. I called him like 5 mins ago, he didn't answer my call and a few seconds later he called back. It sounded like he had just woke up, so he asks who I am and for me up refresh his memory. I told him my name and he sounded like he was out of it and he asks if he can call me back in a minute. I thought this was his way of avoiding this whole conversation and I can't lie I felt annoyed cos I thought he didn't remember me.

Less than a minute later he called me back and apologised. I must say he sounded completely different to how he sounded the first time. He said he was sorry as he had just woken up and his head was all over the place. I asked where he met me to confirm and he said the name of the shop. We had the quickest conversation ever, he asked if I had what's app and as soon as we got off the phone he messaged me.

Ummmm this was too weird..

ReputationRep:
    I know you weren't asking me, but I think it's best just to call the next evening, don't look like you're playing games, just ask about meeting up again. Glad you said call, not text, as well. More confident.

To be fair I can't say I ever got that many numbers, and half of those I got I never messaged (so I guess they could have been fake). I don't know about fake names, but once I woke up having saved a girl's number under the name "girl". Could barely remember her so didn't bother pursueing that one... I did have a girl fake name (and fake nationality) me face to face, but she told me the truth after we'd shagged (she was kinda crazy).
    Thanks I called him. How it went is in the post above this. Well today is the day after, so I thought it would be a good time. I would have usually texted, but recently I've started to dislike texting. Loool that's funny, but at the same time I don't get why you would fake your nationality. Each to their own!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muslimstanisyed)
    I usually give the girl my number after she says i cant have hers.
    You know the usual..."i dont give out my number"..."i got a man"..etc.
    Drop it like boom ok what well do is this you take my number if you wanna call me then call me if you dont dont.
    Sometimes i tell her to turn around so i can write it on her back with a piece of paper.
    Bit of reverse pshycology so i can touch her so its a bit intimate.
    Lmaoo stop it!! I would be creeped out if a random guy touched me and wanted to write on my back to be honest. Haha I don't even know if I should take you seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Another possibility, he didnt want to come across aggressive or make you uncomfortable by asking for your number so he let you decide
    I didn't think of it like that, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Sooo here's how it went. I called him like 5 mins ago, he didn't answer my call and a few seconds later he called back. It sounded like he had just woke up, so he asks who I am and for me up refresh his memory. I told him my name and he sounded like he was out of it and he asks if he can call me back in a minute. I thought this was his way of avoiding this whole conversation and I can't lie I felt annoyed cos I thought he didn't remember me.

Less than a minute later he called me back and apologised. I must say he sounded completely different to how he sounded the first time. He said he was sorry as he had just woken up and his head was all over the place. I asked where he met me to confirm and he said the name of the shop. We had the quickest conversation ever, he asked if I had what's app and as soon as we got off the phone he messaged me.

Ummmm this was too weird..
    LOL why did you ring him ? you shouldve just text him first

Talking on the phone in akward with people you dont know that well

Anyway just play it cool, text back and forth
    Dont reply too quickly but at the same time dont take ages ie its okay to not reply when your at work but dont randomly delay replying at 8PM when your probs at home

Drop hints that you would be open to meeting up ie if he talks about a film or a music event

If he doesnt ask you to meet up with in like 2 weeks of texting then he is not intrested

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.