Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think you could ever torture a human to death? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    The Milgram Shock Experiment found that 2 out of 3 people would step-by-step electrocute someone else to death if told to by a person in authority.
    For real? Damn, humans, you scary.

ReputationRep:
    That completely depends on what they've done

ReputationRep:
    In the most extreme circumstances, I think it is possible that I could do it. For example, if someone had kidnapped and sexually abused and/or purposefully killed one of my children (horrible thought, but we are talking about extreme things here), I believe I could torture them. Badly.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't torture them to death, I'd keep them alive. Just.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No, never. I feel bad enough if I so much as hurt someone accidentally, like step on their toes or something. I could never hurt anyone on purpose.

If they are a criminal, then it's for the justice system to deal with them. Not me.

ReputationRep:
    That would depend on what they had done and who they had done it to.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Depends on the scenario - I can be extremely protective over the people I care about; so I suppose if they did something awful to someone I care about, they might well end up begging for death.

But on the whole, no.

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh just imagine them crying begging for mercy. And you're the power in charge of their destiny. Would be good, if there were no legal repurcusions, if I hated them

ReputationRep:
    i've seen someone cite milgram, but that was "torture" by proxy and through use of a buffer, so it wasn't a direct contact situation.

i think there's also a pack mentality, if reinforced by a mob say.. in torturing a pedophilic murderer or something, more people wouldn't hesitate to join in, but if it were to be one on one, i reckon a lot of people would bow out. me personally... would be circumstantial, to death? probably not, but inflicting severe pain on someone who has caused me irreparable harm such as ummmm murdering my family in front of me, then yes, noone can say what they would/wouldn't do in an extreme situation they've never experienced

i definitely have an untapped dark side

ok i've seen too many movies, but let's say you have a terrorist in custody (this has 24 written all over it) and said terrorist has a strong chance at knowing the location of a bomb that could kill thousands, would you be able to torture him to extract the information? (and the effects will eventually result in his death, but you get the intel needed)

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no problem in throwing a toaster when an isis militant is taking a shower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    That completely depends on what they've done
    So you could torture another human to death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selfteaching)
    let's say you have a terrorist in custody (this has 24 written all over it) and said terrorist has a strong chance at knowing the location of a bomb that could kill thousands, would you be able to torture him to extract the information? (and the effects will eventually result in his death, but you get the intel needed)
    It doesn't work. The terrorist will lie.

If it did work, the occupants of Abu Ghraib and Guantanimo Bay would have provided useful confessions and been prosecuted, but there's no sign of anything useful having come from their torture.

We stopped using torture as a means of gathering evidence centuries ago not because it is cruel but because it does not work.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.