Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date an overweight guy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She has a postgraduate degree in psychology and works in Human Resources and Recruitment..?

TS pretty much summed up how useful a degree in psychology is.
    Diploma, not degree. Perhaps you need a BA in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Diploma, not degree. Perhaps you need a BA in English.
    Why do you say Diploma? Pretty sure a Bachelors DEGREE in Psychology is a degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I'm genuinely surprised you think a psychology degree is useless...
    Yes, it's oversubscribed, and not many people who take it go on to pursue the subject at a higher level. So for most people who take it as an undergraduate degree, it really doesn't really improve their employment prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you say Diploma? Pretty sure a Bachelors DEGREE in Psychology is a degree...
    My original post stated that my boss had a '(postgraduate?) diploma' in psychology. That's not a degree, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's oversubscribed, and not many people who take it go on to pursue the subject at a higher level. So for most people who take it as an undergraduate degree, it really doesn't really improve their employment prospects.
    That doesn't make 'the degree' generally useless. If it wasn't for people who did psychology degrees and went into clinical psychology, I probably wouldn't be here... lol.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make 'the degree' generally useless. If it wasn't for people who did psychology degrees and went into clinical psychology, I probably wouldn't be here... lol.
    The whole reason why I feel that psychology is useless is:

1. Too many people take it
    2. Too few pursue it at a higher level
    3. Psychology is only useful at a higher level
    4. The skills learnt at undergraduate level for psychology is not attractive to employers.

Conclusion: for most people a degree in psychology will not help them get a job.

Doesn't have to do with anything pertaining to your existence.

ReputationRep:
    The whole reason why I feel that psychology is useless is:

1. Too many people take it
    2. Too few pursue it at a higher level
    3. Psychology is only useful at a higher level
    4. The skills learnt at undergraduate level for psychology is not attractive to employers.

Conclusion: for most people a degree in psychology will not help them get a job.

Doesn't have to do with anything pertaining to your existence.
    Yes but all of your reasons are reasons to discredit those taking it without the intention of pursuing it as a career... the degree itself isn't useless and I don't think the skills are that invaluable. Why do you think they are?

Yes, fair enough but again 'PEOPLE' not the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If you want to know how useful psychology is, just look to the mentally ill people who are actually getting treatment and getting better, instead of being locked up and punished for their illness like they used to before psychology advanced.
    But I assume you were asking how useful a psychology degree.
    A psychology degree can lead to a postgraduate degree in psychology and therefor one can become a psychologist or even go to a medical school and become a psychiatrist.
    Now people who assume they can just get an undergrad degree and get a high paying job and work in the field etc as you stated, they're wasting their time.
    Other however, see the degree as a stepping stone to better things.
    And I doubt somebody with a postgrad degree in psychology was working in HR and recruitment. Undergrad? Probably.
    Anon, if you bothered to read what I wrote, you will understand that I said that psychology as an undergraduate degree is generally useless for employment - I did not say that the research in that field was of no use. You will also note that I mentioned that a PhD was necessary to pursue a career in psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but all of your reasons are reasons to discredit those taking it without the intention of pursuing it as a career... the degree itself isn't useless and I don't think the skills are that invaluable. Why do you think they are?

Yes, fair enough but again 'PEOPLE' not the degree.
    I think the degree is generally useless because it won't help you very much in getting a job (with of course the exception of research in psychology after doing a masters/PhD). Let's face it, when we compare it to a subject such as economics, we can see that:

1. the subject of economics is far more complex and disciplined than psychology, which will impress employers more, and
    2. the skills learnt from undertaking a psychology degree is not as transferable or valuable than that learnt from studying economics.

And I don't think it is right to detach the student's intended career from the degree he studies in this argument, considering that most university students will have to rely on the degree they receive to pay back their student loans.

ReputationRep:
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    I think the degree is generally useless because it won't help you very much in getting a job (with of course the exception of research in psychology after doing a masters/PhD). Let's face it, when we compare it to a subject such as economics, we can see that:

1. the subject of economics is far more complex and disciplined than psychology, which will impress employers more, and
    2. the skills learnt from undertaking a psychology degree is not as transferable or valuable than that learnt from studying economics.

And I don't think it is right to detach the student's intended career from the degree he studies in this argument, considering that most university students will have to rely on the degree they receive to pay back their student loans.
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the previous posts, an overweight guy who studies psychology is totally screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Judging by the previous posts, an overweight guy who studies psychology is totally screwed.
    :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.