Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Serious) Why not smoke? watch

ReputationRep:
    After the initial few ciggies, almost all smoking is servicing the addiction. But as it is an addiction, all you're doing is standing on the pavement, burning money, to stop the cravings. If you can manage not to start, it will save many years of inconvenience and smelliness. Smelliness that smokers cannot smell, by the way. But it does stink in your hair and clothes and soft furnishings.

Also, my father-in-law is in hospital dying of emphysema. I didn't realise just how unpleasant it is as a way to go.

(Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    And smoking is enjoyable because...?
    It relieves the craving caused by the addiction.

(Original post by RiskVsReward)
    Why not live a little less and enjoy your life a little more?
    Smoking cigarettes is not enjoying life more. an occasional pipe or cigar can be, but 20 **** a day is just servicing an addiction, not a pleasure. Also, it seriously numbs the sense of taste and smell; food and drink become something you do to stay alive as they become fairly tasteless.

(Original post by JeremyOU)
    every cigarette you smoke chops a day off your life. heavy smokers don't live past mid thirties.
    Making stuff up does not help the argument either way. By your stats, I have chopped centuries off my life. It's more like 7 minutes per cancer-stick.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It can shorten life expectancy longer than 10 years, it shortened one of my parents lives by 30 years or so ( don't make the assumption how long you ll live cause you never know)

ReputationRep:
    Non-smokers will never realise how many pieces of workplace gossip, decisions and bright ideas were cultivated out in the smoking shelter whilst they were sat in the office. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)

Making stuff up does not help the argument either way. By your stats, I have chopped centuries off my life. It's more like 7 minutes per cancer-stick.
    you must be talking about the 'modern clean filter cigarette' the old sort are lethal lol (still you are right, its more like a hour or a few minutes, rather than a day)

ReputationRep:
    What's "enjoyable" about becoming dependant on something you don't even need?

ReputationRep:
    I smoke and I "enjoy" it... but do I enjoy it? I think I am just addicted to it, those electronic vapour things do not work either!!

For me it is a coping mechanism... I wish I didn't smoke in reality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    It relieves the craving caused by the addiction.
    ...and that's a completely applicable reason to start smoking how? I should smoke to relieve the non existent craving I have caused by the non existent addiction, only to then develop that craving caused by that addiction? Are you seriously trying to argue that this is what makes it more enjoyable than not smoking, to have a craving relieved? Sorry, would rather never touch the things and enjoy a life free of smoke induced coughing, bad breath, potential lung cancer, general health difficulties, etc etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.