Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather... watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you rather...?
    Speak every human language in the world
    56.76%
    Be able to talk to the animals
    43.24%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Ohhhhh I really want to talk to the animals, but being to speak every language would be amazing.

Hmm. I also kind of enjoy those arm flapping conversations you have with people when neither of you can understand the other. :beard:
    Really?

I already have vegetarian guilt etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I'd not want to be able to talk to cats or dogs. I don't want to know what they're thinking when I'm all "Awwwlookit'shakitty! A kitty! Whatcha doin' kitty?"
    "Feed me human!"

ReputationRep:
    Something that is possible versus something impossible? How is this even a choice?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone can talk to animals, but the animals cant understand or reply. 40% of these voters are dumbasses

ReputationRep:
    I'd 100% want to speak every language, it's already a (veeery unrealistic) goal of mine haha, I don't think you just become able to speak to everyone, everywhere, but you'd understand so many cultures inside out and you would end up being so intelligent with all those connections between the left and right halves of your brain.

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess what CoolCavy chose.. was it to speak every language?

ReputationRep:
    I think that being able to speak to animals wouldn't be the best things because pretty much every single animal is on the first level of a living organism's needs, the physiological aspect (food, water, shelter, reproduction) and don't actually care about living, but more about surviving and ensuring that their species doesn't go extinct. So I think talking to them may be fun to hear what language they speak or how their voices sound but the actual content of their speech would be pretty bland in my opinion.

Now being able to speak every language in the world (seeing as there are more languages in the world than there are countries, about 2000 or more if that) would mean you could communicate with everybody, and the huge benefits that come with that are world-changing (but of course let's not forget disadvantages such as paparazzi, constant attentiona and scientists, linguists and my French teacher hating you for knowing more than them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Random question for your Friday...

You wake up tomorrow with one new ability. Either:

You can speak every human language in the world
    or
    You can talk to the animals (Dr Dolittle-style)

Which would you rather?
    Astounded by the lack of vision by the users here. Obviously, being able to communicate to animals using their communication systems (not languages!) is far more advantageous. Let me list some of the reasons:

- You could possibly control groups of animals by uttering the right commands
    - You would make biology progress 100X faster than any other science that has ever existed
    - A useful tool for species extinction prevention, animal abuse, blind people guide dogs training

Any of the above could make you rich, influential and powerful. Speaking all the human languages would make you a Youtube star for a year or two and get you a few thousand pounds if you are lucky.

(Original post by bravewoodmouse)
    This was a tough one, especially the potential risk if it turns out animals don't really have a lot to say...

BUT imagine being able to reason with a shark or bear. Or ask a goose what their problem is. Or being told to eff off by your cat when you ask her to fetch your slippers.
    They don't have to say much. We are talking about using animal communication systems not using communication systems as if they were languages.

(Original post by MAINE.)
    Speaking to animals would be literally the most useless ability.
    I strongly disagree. In fact, I would argue that speaking all the world languages would be the most useless ability of the two. Think about it, for any two languages that you can speak there exist people who speak it too. Your value lies on the fact that some dying languages lack speakers and some linguists want to make all languages immortal, however unlikely that is. On the other hand, being able to communicate not with a single species but with all species of the animal kingdom, grants you political, financial and social influence that you can leverage to your advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    "Feed me human!"
    That's what cats say, as opposed to dogs who say "Feed me, human!"

Makes a big difference, that comma.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather speak every language. Then, I could finally communicate with relatives over the phone.

Mum: Come speak to your aunt/uncle/cousin/great-aunt/randomperson
    Me: I'm sick mother dearest
    Mum: You better-
    Me: Influenza. Malaria. Stupidity.

Me: (over the phone) Hi...hello. How is you? I good. Verry good. BYE

ReputationRep:
    Animals. Be interesting to hear their thoughts on these 'two legged clothed ape descendants' destroying their friends and their habitats.

There's always Google Translate for languages. Sorry if it was already mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Animals, I don't see how I could benefit from speaking all human languages. With animals, I could potentially be their ruler. Also as a kid I always wondered if animals look at us like we're retarded so yeah, I would like to know.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Or dictator :mwuaha:
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Animals, I don't see how I could benefit from speaking all human languages. With animals, I could potentially be their ruler. Also as a kid I always wondered if animals look at us like we're retarded so yeah, I would like to know.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Or dictator :mwuaha:
    Dictator! Not very Liberal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Dictator! Not very Liberal

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Holy ****, my cover's been blown!! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely speak to animals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    Speaking to animals would be literally the most useless ability.
    Have you not seen the end of the film Avatar?

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely shocked that people would rather know how to speak every language in the world.

Do you not wonder what spiders are thinking when they just enter our houses without paying rent? :spider::spider:
    Or birds when they fly into windows... mmm...

ReputationRep:
    You can already talk to humans. Get a translator if you want to speak to another one. Animal translators are alot harder to come by and probably not reputable.

ReputationRep:
    I rather converse with my friend Shere Khan and his cowardly subordinate Tabaqui.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Random question for your Friday...

You wake up tomorrow with one new ability. Either:

You can speak every human language in the world
    or
    You can talk to the animals (Dr Dolittle-style)

Which would you rather?
    If you dont speak a language, you can get it translated, but you cant get it translated from an animal, so whats more useful?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.