Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Capital Punishment; The Question watch

• View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be integrated into UK law?
    Yes
    30.72%
    No
    69.28%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Credits not an issue if we only apply it to murder and some people may view death over life imprisonment as mercy from the state.
    Good point, it would be interesting to hear general opinion on this as to what's worse. I'd still be inclined to choose life.
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Oh no, I'm absolutely against the jury system. The evidence should be weighted by experienced legal professionals with the aid of expert witnesses.
    So the South African method? I believe they have a panel of three judges to decide case outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Good point, it would be interesting to hear general opinion on this as to what's worse. I'd still be inclined to choose life.

So the South African method? I believe they have a panel of three judges to decide case outcomes.
    Let's make it a German method to make it sound more civilised. As far as I know, that's how it goes in all European countries without common law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Let's make it a German method to make it sound more civilised. As far as I know, that's how it goes in all European countries without common law.
    Interesting, although it isn't traditional so I'm bound to go against it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Serial murderers/sex offenders do not deserve a second chance
    jail for life is more appropriate.
    I am against capital punishment, or indeed any unnecessary killing of anyone.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Oh no, I'm absolutely against the jury system. The evidence should be weighted by experienced legal professionals with the aid of expert witnesses.

Citation needed… You also avoided the question that was given to you.
    I'm using the US to provide evidence for my arguments.

DPvNonDPStates.jpg

Not a Deterrent.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/i...h-penalty-cost

[QUOTE\] "Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present system ($137 million per year), the present system after implementation of the reforms ... ($232.7 million per year) ... and a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty ($11.5 million)." [/QUOTE] - --California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice, July 1, 2008

A lot more expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    jail for life is more appropriate.
    I am against capital punishment, or indeed any unnecessary killing of anyone.
    I don't think jail for life is appropriate for everyone.
    I don't think it's unnecessary killing either

ReputationRep:
    This is logical, but would you not agree that the 'reasonable doubt' of twelve jurors is insufficient to send someone to their death? Isn't the whole system undermined when one person is wrongly executed?
    Wrongly executed? How do you mean?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wrongly executed? How do you mean?
    When an innocent man is sent to his death.

ReputationRep:
    And this is where we're done. Idiot.
    I win. Byeee! (Wassup? Couldn't find any sources for your claims?)

16th June 2009 "Death Penalty Does Not Deter Murder". Link.

Researchers Find "No Empirical Support" for Deterrence Theory. Link.

Amnesty International's document about the death penalty in the USA . Link.

Myths and Realities on the Death Penalty Blog. Link.

It also causes harm to those who are involved in the executions. Link.

ReputationRep:
    When an innocent man is sent to his death.
    ah yeah I thought that's what you meant. That's the thing, capital punishment should be reserved for the people who have ample evidence against them to show that they did commit the crime, not to mention a guilty plea.
    If there are any doubts or insufficient evidence, they should just be locked up until they know for sure
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ah yeah I thought that's what you meant. That's the thing, capital punishment should be reserved for the people who have ample evidence against them to show that they did commit the crime, not to mention a guilty plea.
    If there are any doubts or insufficient evidence, they should just be locked up until they know for sure
    I still feel that it's a dangerous path to go down. No judicial system isn't free from issues; police fit ups can put people in difficult positions regarding evidence, and council can pressure people into pleading guilty based on circumstantial evidence.

'Beyond reasonable doubt' is not always reliable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've added a poll to the page, vote if you like!

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as we recently had a bill along this line, I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on CP. There are some whom are very pro, and some who are very anti.

What do you all believe in and why?
    Anti

also, imagine we had CP, and then laws begun changing about what is described as a crime deserving of CP, it can be quite dangerous
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Anti

also, imagine we had CP, and then laws begun changing about what is described as a crime deserving of CP, it can be quite dangerous
    This is indeed true. Once the floodgates are open to CP, it becomes a lot easier for governments (should they wish to) to change what constitutes a 'capital offence'. Ultimately, it goes from being a referendum matter to being an issue decided by 600 people.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find it hard to find a stance because i believe there are strong cases for both.I think the main argument for CP has got to be the economic benefit of not having to jail the most serious offenders (which is expensive) and I have to ask that given the state the economy is in at the minute would you rather cut costs from jail times of criminals or education, health or the police force,etc? I also have to admit froma personal point of view if someone had committed murder against my family or myself, I'd want them killed js
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    thehistorybore

You voted yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Anti.

Mistakes get made and death cannot be undone.
    Is murder and rape just a mistake?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Is murder and rape just a mistake?
    An innocent person being executed is certainly a mistake though.

Imprisonment gives the opportunity for further appeals and new evidence. You can't carry on making appeals if you're dead.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    thehistorybore

You voted yes?
    Oh goodness! An accident!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Oh goodness! An accident!
    I thought so I almost did the same!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.