Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Even then, there are ways of gaming the state education system. If there is a superior state school, wealthier families are more likely to be able to afford to buy a house in the catchment area which can deprive the actual local residents of a space in the school (I believe there's a panorama documentary on this). This effect may be worsened if there are no private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely understand this, however there isn't much that can be done about it other than increase the standard of state schools altogether, which is my entire stance and we'll be working in government as best we can to achieve this end.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I completely understand this, however there isn't much that can be done about it other than increase the standard of state schools altogether, which is my entire stance and we'll be working in government as best we can to achieve this end.
    That's exactly my stance. Improving the standard of state schools in general (if that means more investment, so be it) is the better solution. I don't see the banning of private schools to be anything but detrimental at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's exactly my stance. Improving the standard of state schools in general (if that means more investment, so be it) is the better solution. I don't see the banning of private schools to be anything but detrimental at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If only we could work together in government, you sure there's no chance of you joining the liberals?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If only we could work together in government, you sure there's no chance of you joining the liberals?
    I've made my terms perfectly clear to Petros

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You know I can't do that to Jarred....I'd need seconders You'd have to join first....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PetrosAC get it done
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PetrosAC get it done
    Read my post above

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Read my post above

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My stance hasn't changed

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you only got into that good private school due to your parents ability to pay for it then it was unmerited.

The point of state education is the universal nature of it, anyone can go to a state school and anyone in a state school is on a level playing field. However, that is not the case with private schools.
    I would say neither of those statements is true. First, if you can simply buy your way in it isn't a "good" private school, second, those in state are in no way on an equal playing field; those in my sixth form were in a significantly better one than those a mile down the road (and better than the private lot in the middle) who were in turn in a much better position than those a mile perpendicular. Then within the sixth form, I was in a better position than several people I know dimly because of I wanted it I could have had private tuition whilst they couldn't. Throw on to of that that unless everybody has the same teacher and an equally productive, for them, writing environment, both at school and home, and an equally good, again for them, teaching style being used there is no level playing field.

I moved primary school in year 6 because of the teacher, I know people fall down due to the teaching styles used by some teachers.

Universal is about availability, not quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Are we just going for producing Bills where the only Aye will be the author themselves???
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would say neither of those statements is true. First, if you can simply buy your way in it isn't a "good" private school, second, those in state are in no way on an equal playing field; those in my sixth form were in a significantly better one than those a mile down the road (and better than the private lot in the middle) who were in turn in a much better position than those a mile perpendicular. Then within the sixth form, I was in a better position than several people I know dimly because of I wanted it I could have had private tuition whilst they couldn't. Throw on to of that that unless everybody has the same teacher and an equally productive, for them, writing environment, both at school and home, and an equally good, again for them, teaching style being used there is no level playing field.

I moved primary school in year 6 because of the teacher, I know people fall down due to the teaching styles used by some teachers.

Universal is about availability, not quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do agree, and my stance is that the quality has to improve, it's simple enough. If the quality of state schools get better than private schools are pushed out of the market and they become redundant, if the quality of teaching in state school is good enough then private tuition isn't needed either. However, there are cases where someone might need to go to a private school, they should be able to, and there are cases where someone might need a private tutor, and they should be able to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Are we just going for producing Bills where the only Aye will be the author themselves???
    Next up will be a bill from me to ban the internet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I do agree, and my stance is that the quality has to improve, it's simple enough. If the quality of state schools get better than private schools are pushed out of the market and they become redundant, if the quality of teaching in state school is good enough then private tuition isn't needed either. However, there are cases where someone might need to go to a private school, they should be able to, and there are cases where someone might need a private tutor, and they should be able to.
    They don't get pushed out of the market, they just get pushed to improve further. What happens when either quality of education increases significantly or ability increases significantly (or exams get too easy, well, actually it doesn't happen then, as we have seen)? Exams get harder, or more advanced material gets brought in; what you have to remember I'd that we are now taught at GCSE and a level stuff that was not at all long ago degree or PhD level, things that literally nobody understood, I think Feynman's line saying something like that he had to teach what he didn't understand sums it up nicely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I do not support a law that aims to bring people who are receiving a better education than others down; the other should should take the rest up.
    I'm sorry it's a bit hard for the state to compete with schools where they get £30,000 a term per pupil. The fact that private schools exist mean that the rich have much better chances of acheiving the best jobs than everyone else. This is sinply unfair.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to compete with private schools as they simply have far too much money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I don't think it's a right-wing response. I think it's more so that people should have the right to send their children to whatever school they like. It is clear though that we need to improve the quality of state schools so private schools are no longer needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Working class people do not have the "right" to send their children to private school they simply cannot afford it. We as a state can't afford to match the quality of these schools leaving it systematically unfair. The "right" of the rich does this infringes on equality of opportunity between rich and poor children and that is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Whenever I read a text from the left, I have the feeling it's always the same "tax, ban, tax". I would prefer to see "innovate, create, develop".
    Well I would point out the last few suggested bans have came from the right of the house. As far as I see it we have 2 options tax everyone to infinity so state education is as good or abolish the private schools to make it fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Envious pleb. No.
    I'm not envious in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    If state schools want to reach the same standard as private schools, then they should bloody well get better themselves.

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh aye cos without taxing everyone to hell we can afford to compete with bloody Eton.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.