Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Truth Will Set You Free watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veestos121)
    No.
    It would be a better place if EVERYONE were atheists.
    The world would be so technologically advanced you can't even imagine it.
    And everyone would be advanced and happy.
    Ask Paul Potts, USSR and North Korea. Is there or has there ever been an atheist civilisation?

ReputationRep:

Yes, hundreds of years of scientific experiment and research.
    And not a fairy tale written by some shepards in the desert thousands of years ago.
    Nope, and you are someone who clearly has no scientific background. No paper has ever proven or even had the hypothesis of proving or disproving a god or gods.
    I ain't saying the **** flinging, shadow fearing folk are right either. Just that no one can say "FACT: there is no god/is a god".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_S)
    Exactly, there is no solid prove of the big bang,
    Absolutely incorrect. There are tonnes upon tonnes of evidence for the Big Bang, ranging from CMB to red shifted galaxies, to the expansion of the universe itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    So it happened due to laws of Physics which exist because of... there being mass and particles, etc. Basically, they say gravity caused the Big Bang, but where did the gravity come from? And where did this tiny, almost infinitely dense blob of matter come from? The Big Bang is just like how God would create the Universe
    The singularity that caused the Big Bang could have existed forever, the universe didn't come from nothing.

And before you say this couldn't have existed forever, you say your God has always existed so where did he come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    The singularity that caused the Big Bang could have existed forever, the universe didn't come from nothing.

And before you say this couldn't have existed forever, you say your God has always existed so where did he come from?
    You have explained the answer in your question: God has always existed - he is something outside the Universe, something of a whole other classification. He didn't come from anything; he has always been here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparster)
    To clear it up firstly, I am athiest so no this is not a hate response. But the above can be pretty offensive for many religious people and I don't really see the point in posting this in the first place. It isn't going to change anyone's opinion and will piss some people off. Finally, can this really be taken so seriously when you have written it so fast without caring that you can't even be arsed to put spaces after a full stop, has the worst spelling I have seen in a long time and some extremely dodgy punctuation? Yes what I just said has now become a rant. Good job on.... causing trouble for no reason?

PS for your GCSE English when you get there,"wasting" **
    His spelling just proved that there is no such thing as a god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    This hasnt helped set me free.

Does anyone here have a spare get out of jail free card as my cousin is being a douche bag? This is the last time im ever playing monopoly with him again.
    In Acts 12, angels helped the disciple Peter escape from jail.

So you should convert to Christianity before playing your next round of monopoly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    In Acts 12, angels helped the disciple Peter escape from jail.

So you should convert to Christianity before playing your next round of monopoly.
    Well cross my arms and call me Peter this actually works. Thanks for the tips mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    Well cross my arms and call me Peter this actually works. Thanks for the tips mate.
    However in Matthew 19 Jesus told the rich man to give up all his possessions to the poor, so I doubt you're going to win the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    No it wouldn't. We'd have no morals and society will collapse.
    Yeah, just look at all these civil wars in the west.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Here's how I look at this topic.

Note: This is going to be a little bit mind-twisting, so um ... ask me if you got lost somewhere in the text.

Proof that God(s) / Creator(s) / over-watching entity(ies) (from this point summarised as 'God')
    1. If God exists, one has to show the existence through measures observable to humans via their outward senses (the main thing in doing science). Therefore, God should exist if people can observe God.
    2. And then it comes down to a question: Is God an observable being or not? If God is an observable being, we should be able to observe God (unless God does not want us to see God). If not, and as we know that the outward senses of humans are limited, then it is not possible to know whether God exists, therefore we simply cannot prove it empirically. If there seem to be evidences that God exists, how do one even know that the evidences actually support the existence of God when it can be attributed towards
    3. Now the tricky part: If God does exist, how do we know if God exist since we know that our senses are limited and God may not be in the form of the being that we can observe? If God does not exist, how do we even know, moreover prove, that God does not exist? Can one prove something that does not exist doesn't exist?
    4. Thus since so far no one can prove empirically that God exists, it can be either God just cannot be observed by humans outwardly, or God just does not exist as a being, or some other explanations that I cannot think of right now.
    5. In conclusion, humans have no idea on proving empirically that God actually exists.
    Religions/Beliefs and Their Functions
    1. For believers in religion(s)/belief(s), I have not much to say about this. I think you guys are clear about that.
    2. For non-believers in religion(s)/belief(s), here's a series of reasons why religions/beliefs exist (from an externally observational viewpoint):
    • Functions as a psychological anchor
    • Guides believers to behave in ways that helps to make society work (whether the ways are in the form of ethics, morals or principles)
    • Enable people to work together as a team towards a goal or just having support in life
    • Again, some other reasons that I cannot think of at the moment.
    3. Now, I was thinking that the reasons above can be applied in any religions/beliefs (whether perceptively good/neutral/bad/true/false/anything one could describe about any single ones) involving a good number of people.
    4. Are religions good or bad? Ponder a bit further from the reasons provided (in which does not include the factor of belief).

Existence of Humans' Thoughts, Consciousness and Knowledge of Self
    1. So, are thoughts, consciousness and the knowledge of self indicating the existence of the soul, therefore indicating the concept of afterlife and other spiritual concepts, or are they merely the electrochemical interactions between neurons in the nervous system, mainly the brain for abstract thoughts? I have no idea either.
    2. With the possibility of distorted consciousness via external means, the latter may be true.
    3. However so far we aren't able to answer the questions above. First off, just imagine how much philosophers have debated and discussed about the nature of consciousness and reality and we know how non-straight forward the answer is going to be. Secondly some human experiences (e.g. Near Death Experiences, dream, hypnosis) are not being able to be explained thoroughly with hard evidences (yet? If there were, it's going to take us a whole lot of effort to explain so).
    4. Therefore I don't actually know how to answer this either.
    In my opinion, it is highly debatable on things like the existence of God, purpose of religion (that links back to the first topic) and the nature of consciousness.

However, I think that everyone has their own values and there is a tendency for people to hold on to their values and believe in them. That could be an example of belief, belief in values. Even atheists hold on to values, in which that could become somewhat a belief.

There are some of the viewpoints above in which I agree or disagree. However I think it's going to take me a day to think through and comment on that.

Okay, good chance I may misspeak something above or provide arguments that just doesn't make sense, as it's a super long reply and I'm typing this in a mild sleepy state. Point them out to me. I'll be grateful for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    You have explained the answer in your question: God has always existed - he is something outside the Universe, something of a whole other classification. He didn't come from anything; he has always been here.
    That's special pleading. If you say God has always existed then it's just as easily possible that the universe/singularity has always existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    However in Matthew 19 Jesus told the rich man to give up all his possessions to the poor, so I doubt you're going to win the game.
    Had to make an account just to say how brilliant this exchange was. Even if no conclusion was made on the 'truth will set you free' front, christians win this thread hands down.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely incorrect. There are tonnes upon tonnes of evidence for the Big Bang, ranging from CMB to red shifted galaxies, to the expansion of the universe itself.
    Ok let me rephrase that. There is some prove to suggest that the big bang actually happened, but is there any prove to suggest that there was no supernatural force behind? Science basically is saying that our universe was created from essentially nothing, and sometimes tries to dispute with the idea of a God. Theories do say that when God says "Let there be light", that was in fact the big bang. So something in the spiritual could have caused a reaction in the physical. No one knows for sure, that is why they are only called theories (The Big Bang THEORY).

ReputationRep:
    I'll Chain You To The Truth,
    For The Truth Shall Set You Free.
    I'll Turn The Screws Of Vengeance,
    And Bury You With Honesty.

ReputationRep:
    Ok let me rephrase that. There is some prove to suggest that the big bang actually happened, but is there any prove to suggest that there was no supernatural force behind? Science basically is saying that our universe was created from essentially nothing, and sometimes tries to dispute with the idea of a God. Theories do say that when God says "Let there be light", that was in fact the big bang. So something in the spiritual could have caused a reaction in the physical. No one knows for sure, that is why they are only called theories (The Big Bang THEORY).

No, there isn't proof against a supernatural force, but science isn't concerned with that as it delas with empirical evidence that can actually be detected. If you, or others are making a fantastical claim about God then the onus is on you to back up your claims and not on others to disprove it.

False, a scientific theory has a different definition to the everyday meaning of the word theory. The latter refers to a vague, guess which in science would translate to a hypothesis.

In science, a theory can only be called that when it is confirmed by a huge amount of evidence. Are you going to say that the THEORY of gravity and germ THEORY are just theories? I suspect not, so be aware that the definitions are different.

ReputationRep:
    And the truth is - there is no god.There never was any.The concept of a "god" and religions are a human invention like language, the week, economics and every other human invention.All religious laws and restrictions , were not given to man by any "god" ( jooz, mouselems and chreestians or "gods" ( yes I am talking to you polytheists like jindus and boodehists), rather they were invented by some very, very primitive people who lived thousands of years ago and had no idea about science or how the world or the Universe actually works.There is NOTHING supernatural in the universe,ALL religions are inventions.No god or gods,created us , Darwin proved We evolved from apes over millions of years through the NATURAL ( and NOT supernatural) process of "Natural Selection.There is no "afterlife", and no "soul".we ARE our bodies, more precisely our brain.Our consciousness or "thinking self " is the result of electric impulses in the brain.We only live once ,so stop worshipping your imaginary god or gods, because they do not exist, so you are waisting your precious time, your one go.

You are wrong my friend and Darwin proved nothing.

God created us to know him and to seek him out. We are mind, body and spirit. Yes the concept is almost impossible to grasp but the fairytale of descending from apes takes even more imagination.

http://www.universetoday.com/47211/earths-tilt/

Are you telling me that this all just happened?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, exactly! And to further the point, see my latest post here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3673181

A largely atheist thread too, just for the fun of it

ReputationRep:
    No, there isn't proof against a supernatural force, but science isn't concerned with that as it delas with empirical evidence that can actually be detected. If you, or others are making a fantastical claim about God then the onus is on you to back up your claims and not on others to disprove it.

False, a scientific theory has a different definition to the everyday meaning of the word theory. The latter refers to a vague, guess which in science would translate to a hypothesis.

In science, a theory can only be called that when it is confirmed by a huge amount of evidence. Are you going to say that the THEORY of gravity and germ THEORY are just theories? I suspect not, so be aware that the definitions are different.
    I am just saying that when people dont wish to even hear that there is a possibility of a God, they immediately get frustrated. The thing is that there is technically no physical evidence of a God, but that is why it is called faith. I am not saying others should try and dispute the claim of a God, but i am saying people should stop saying that because there is no scientific explanation that, it immediately does not exist.
    Again I don't mean that the big bang does not have evidence to prove it, but there is not enough suggesting that it all happened just like that. Science proves everything is Cause and Effect, Action and Reaction. My point i am making is that it could have been God that made the big bang, not that it suddenly happened by chance that this complex universe was made.

ReputationRep:
    Again I don't mean that the big bang does not have evidence to prove it, but there is not enough suggesting that it all happened just like that.
    But there is! Besides, all science tells us is how the Big Bang happened, it doesn't tell us what caused it as that is still unknown.

Science proves everything is Cause and Effect, Action and Reaction. My point i am making is that it could have been God that made the big bang, not that it suddenly happened by chance that this complex universe was made.
    Well yes, God could have caused it, but this is just adding an unnecessary step to the equation and thus it violates Occam's Razor. Scientists generally aren't interested in studying so-called supernatural phenomena and beings.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.