Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Q; Which of these has the highest rates of TB; London, Iraq, Rwanda, Eritea? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I wouldn't live in London if you gave me 100000 £.
    It's a overpopulated, polluted and smelly hell hole of a city
    I take it you've never been to any of the nice parts of London then?

By the way, why don't you share with us where you live? I remember someone from Luton saying something similar once

ReputationRep:
    let us all move to Poland ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    A; London.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/615...ration-poverty

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1012/10121603

Absolutely hilarious. Mass immigration is a factor, yes. But what is also hugely responsible is having a huge number of people in a small area who despite paying large sums out in rent still live in substandard housing.

I find it so funny how this ex-UKIP man was vilified for saying London was a dirty dump;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34749969

The truth is that while people continue to do nothing about the growing wealth inequality and house prices situation things like this will only get worse.

London has worse rates for TB than Rwanda, Eritea and Iraq...incredible.
    Hey,I actually just recently fully recovered from TB after contracting it last November! People were confused as to how I got it because apparently it's not prevalent in London but these things do happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    There are many parts of Tower Hamlets and Hackney that are quite nice. I'd love to have a handsome Georgian terrace in Tower Hamlets. Like all areas, there are nice bits and less nice bits. But there is no part of London that is in any way comparable to a real slum.

If you had travelled outside Europe perhaps, you might have a broader perspective on such things. No doubt you have that giant provincial chip on your shoulder about living outside London that causes you to make silly and irrational criticisms.
    I have been to more places than I am years old, most of them outside Europe. No where else is as crowded and generally, well, a dump as the areas I have described.

There are handsome bits in Tower Hamlets? A bit like saying I have dropped a lovely burger in some manure, I would still eat it though

Hilarious how you think I would want to live in London yep, that is it, I'm jealous of the poverty in most of the areas there. That is the chip on the shoulder. I like being in polluted places where driving is impossible, having to use tubes that are busier and busier at great expense, paying a huge amount for a place in downtown Mogadishu I mean broad street Southall.

No thanks. Look at places like Bath, Edinburgh, then compare them to London. The people who love London-I agree if you are in Richmond or Kensington. But since so many aren't then perhaps they should pipe down.
    To live there it still costs millions-you would be better off moving outside of London, getting a huge house and a Ferrari on the drive and still having some change from your two bed London shoebox flat.
    A shoebox surrounded by deprived areas, where driving your own car is difficult, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I wouldn't live in London if you gave me 100000 £.
    It's a overpopulated, polluted and smelly hell hole of a city
    It's soooo expensive to even rent if you're a professional then do expect to share a flat with a group of people well into your 30s what kind of life is that ?
    Agreed. People who live in the posh areas I mentioned examples of before yes, London is awesome. Even then though you are surrounded by pretty bad areas.

This strange idea that busy, polluted, expensive and deprived is worth paying a huge amount for is something I will never understand. Apparently it is due to a chip in the shoulder though despite the fact that I would never go there unless I had £3 million plus to spend on a property. And I bet the people on here saying I need to travel more or that I am secretly love London but am just jealous don't even have half of that

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Hey,I actually just recently fully recovered from TB after contracting it last November! People were confused as to how I got it because apparently it's not prevalent in London but these things do happen
    I bet there are people in Rwanda, Iraq and Eritea who are pitying you also, having themselves never had TB

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. People who live in the posh areas I mentioned examples of before yes, London is awesome. Even then though you are surrounded by pretty bad areas.

This strange idea that busy, polluted, expensive and deprived is worth paying a huge amount for is something I will never understand. Apparently it is due to a chip in the shoulder though despite the fact that I would never go there unless I had £3 million plus to spend on a property. And I bet the people on here saying I need to travel more or that I am secretly love London but am just jealous don't even have half of that

I bet there are people in Rwanda, Iraq and Eritea who are pitying you also, having themselves never had TB
    Exactly,it's no as uncommon as people think it is.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly,it's no as uncommon as people think it is.
    The sheer denial of people will mean things will only get worse before they get better. Until rents fall and people can afford to live with more space and in proper quality housing this kind of thing will only get worse. Don't forget that to see a GP it probably takes weeks as well.

The last point is perhaps the most important of them all.

ReputationRep:
    The sheer denial of people will mean things will only get worse before they get better. Until rents fall and people can afford to live with more space and in proper quality housing this kind of thing will only get worse. Don't forget that to see a GP it probably takes weeks as well.

The last point is perhaps the most important of them all.
    I didn't even know I had until I went for a test,spoke to the docs about it. I was literally in an out of hospital almost always for my 23rd,isolated and would hardly see my friends and family . The disease itself renders you incapable to do anything. The night sweats were the worst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    You only have to walk around parts of London like Tower Hamlets to realise this....
    Really? Wasn't aware that TB had any physical symptoms.

Or do you just assume that every foreign person is a walking disease machine?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know I had until I went for a test,spoke to the docs about it. I was literally in an out of hospital almost always for my 23rd,isolated and would hardly see my friends and family . The disease itself renders you incapable to do anything. The night sweats were the worst

When you have a large community from Sub-Saharan Africa living in London, coming and going as they please, the risks will always be higher.

What you don't do is when you have serious illnesses like TB growing is ignore the problems that see it spread. The housing, the GP waiting times...waiting weeks to see a GP is not always an option.

Glad to hear your better anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Really? Wasn't aware that TB had any physical symptoms.

Or do you just assume that every foreign person is a walking disease machine?
    Understatement of the century! It is pretty nasty and serious.

ReputationRep:
    Understatement of the century! It is pretty nasty and serious.
    Is it? Thought TB only affected the inside of the body, like the lungs and such.

ReputationRep:
    When you have a large community from Sub-Saharan Africa living in London, coming and going as they please, the risks will always be higher.

What you don't do is when you have serious illnesses like TB growing is ignore the problems that see it spread. The housing, the GP waiting times...waiting weeks to see a GP is not always an option.

Glad to hear your better anyway
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Is it? Thought TB only affected the inside of the body, like the lungs and such.
    Yeah, the inside of the body, nothing serious there.
    You mention the lungs-coughing up blood suggests it may be a bit serious.
    I'm just googling it-yep pretty serious. It can even come back-it lies dormant once treated! According to wiki.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    I take it you've never been to any of the nice parts of London then?

By the way, why don't you share with us where you live? I remember someone from Luton saying something similar once
    Thankfully, I live somewhere where Rent is cheap and I'm surrounded by beautiful countryside

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.