Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

How Rational Are You ? watch

• View Poll Results: How Rational Are You ? (take the test before voting)
    Detective
    7.27%
    Field Commander
    1.82%
    Journalist
    14.55%
    Cardsharp
    0%
    Speculator
    0%
    Introspector
    0%
    Skeptic
    25.45%
    Meditator
    14.55%
    Explorer
    1.82%
    Inventor
    0%
    Attorney
    1.82%
    Free Spirit
    5.45%
    Coordinater
    0%
    Executive
    14.55%
    Strategist
    1.82%
    Rationalist
    10.91%

ReputationRep:
    Executives tend to be people of vision. They consider their own ideas as carefully as they consider ideas that others put before them, and they're adept at organizing both types of thought into clear plans of action for the future. However, they often prefer to leave the nitty-gritty components of these plans to others. Approximately 4% of the populace are Executives

Meh. I'm not really bothered with the result. Though'll admit there is some portion of truth in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Yes it is, what was your objection?
    http://imgur.com/0HdCsfe

If anyone could screenshot that particular question, it'd be great, because I can barely make sense of this on its own. Amazing what a few months can do. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Asking a question does not mean you expect an answer. There are things like rhetorical questions, or questions that are there but you do not have to answer them. Have you ever filled out a form which uses an asterisk next to questions that need to answered, but omits this next to questions that need not be answered but are there for data collecting?

You are making some more assumptions, 'random website' is one. A resource is something that is useful to others. The website was useful to me, therefor it is a resource to me.

Honestly, you're worthless at arguing, so give up.
    "How rational are you?" is not a rhetorical question. That leaves us with the issue of "data collecting". With regards to that, you could have made it clear that it's optional and you don't require any answers, but you did no such thing. Therefore it's reasonable to say that you wanted people to answer.

Well if reasonable person wanted to take an IQ test, they'd take one that is administered by a proper organisation (e.g. Mensa). They wouldn't go to an arbitrary website which claims to be able to offer them a genuine IQ test, but has no authority to do so. This website claims to be able to asses a person's rationality, but such tests don't exist in the world of official assessments, hence they have no authority whatsoever. Therefore my claim that it's a "random website" is perfectly justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    "How rational are you?" is not a rhetorical question. That leaves us with the issue of "data collecting". With regards to that, you could have made it clear that it's optional and you don't require any answers, but you did no such thing. Therefore it's reasonable to say that you wanted people to answer.

Well if reasonable person wanted to take an IQ test, they'd take one that is administered by a proper organisation (e.g. Mensa). They wouldn't go to an arbitrary website which claims to be able to offer them a genuine IQ test, but has no authority to do so. This website claims to be able to asses a person's rationality, but such tests don't exist in the world of official assessments, hence they have no authority whatsoever. Therefore my claim that it's a "random website" is perfectly justified.
    Firstly, whether a question I pose is rhetorical or not, is up to me to decide - there are no other conditions which makes a question rhetorical or not. Please know your definitions before commenting.
    Why do I need to make it clear that it is optional, when the viewer can clearly make the choice whether he or she wants to take the test and vote?

Having authority has no correlation to how reliable a resource is. You are very delusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashim123)
    Is the burning house/fireman question still on there? I remember the first time I took this it was in beta, and I took issue with the answer to that question, so complained in a bug report. :laugh:

Why is it unreasonable? As already indicated, humans aren't machines, and from what I can tell, you seem to be advocating for a stance of uber-rationality that would have them be; rationality at all costs. That might be technically-rational, but it's to the detriment of every other human impulse, and therefore isn't intelligent. A conscious machine would consider it inefficient to waste time doing unproductive things; a human would understand the value of unproductivity just as equally as productivity.

That's not even the bigger point here, though - it's your writing off the entire original post as "pointless" in the first place, itself an incredibly-subjective term and one that can in no way be objectively, rationally-evaluated. Maybe OP saw value for personal development in testing his own level of rationality and comparing it to the rest of the forum's. Maybe he just saw a chance to stroke his ego by posting his near-perfect score. Whether OP's purpose was productive or non-productive, the original post has plenty of potential to have been either, and therefore not in the slightest pointless.
    I'd understand if (for example) he had posted the results of an IQ test that he had taken with Mensa, for that is a world-renowned organisation which uses widely-accepted methods to assess candidates. Why would anyone care about the results of a "test" that was administered by an organisation(?) that nobody knows or cares about? It just has to go down as pointless, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Omg who cares. You've spent more time banging on about it than it would have taken to just do the ****ing test.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lol, I'm a free spirit and less rational than 80% of users. Apparently I have no strong reasoning skills...

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, whether a question I pose is rhetorical or not, is up to me to decide - there are no other conditions which makes a question rhetorical or not. Please know your definitions before commenting.
    Why do I need to make it clear that it is optional, when the viewer can clearly make the choice whether he or she wants to take the test and vote?

Having authority has no correlation to how reliable a resource is You are very delusional.
    You cannot simply say that any question is rhetorical. See here:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...cal%20question

and you can ask anyone who knows a bit about English if you're still unsure.

Regarding that last line (in bold):

If someone posing as a medical expert created a website to offer advice to the public, would you just accept that as a resource? Normal people would question the authority of that website before taking note of any 'advice' on there.

You say that I'm delusional :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You cannot simply say that any question is rhetorical. See here:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...cal%20question

Otherwise I could say that "how are you?" is a rhetorical question, but it never can be!

Regarding that last line (in bold):

If someone posing as a medical expert created a website to offer advice to the public, would you just accept that as a resource? Normal people would question the authority of that website before taking note of any 'advice' on there.

You say that I'm delusional :rolleyes:
    'How are you?' can be a rhetorical question. It depends on the context, tone of voice, and emphasis. If emphasis is placed on the 'are' , it provokes one to think about it, rather than answer it.
    Another example is 'Are you okay?'. If emphasis is placed on the 'are' it provokes one to think about, rather than answer it.

I suggest you take some vocabulary sessions, I feel like I'm talking to a 15 year old.

ReputationRep:
    I got rationalist, but not a high percentage. Really I am not very rational at all in day-to-day life; I am extraordinarily neurotic and incredibly disorganized, but the way the questions are asked don't necessarily reflect that; for instance with the question that was like "what should you do to make sure this never happens again" I think I know what I should do, I just won't be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd understand if (for example) he had posted the results of an IQ test that he had taken with Mensa, for that is a world-renowned organisation which uses widely-accepted methods to assess candidates. Why would anyone care about the results of a "test" that was administered by an organisation(?) that nobody knows or cares about? It just has to go down as pointless, I'm afraid.
    As iAre's just told you, authoritativeness ≠ reliability. It's such a common misuse of logic that there's a logical fallacy for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority. You've also made yet another assumption that no-one at all would care about the results of a test, not realising the stupidity of making such an erroneous assumption on a thread with three pages of people taking the test and caring about the results. You then once again repeated that the thread is "pointless" without any logical justification despite my having just dealt with that in a 2-paragrraph post. Seriously, stop. It's blatantly obvious your ego's been damaged because you took the test and got lower than you expected to, and have now taken to undermining the OP's purpose of posting the thread and the reliability of the test to justify it to yourself.

You've blatantly exposed your complete ignorance of basic logical principles and how to have a sane, rational debate, let alone the intricacies of what rationality is; you've time and time again made futile arguments from assumptions plucked out of thin air; you've shown that you have no reading comprehension whatsoever after having gone on to make those same arguments even after having had them clearly and thoroughly shot down from a logical standpoin, or that some personal bias is clouding your judgement. Right now, the most irrational thing conceivable for me would be to carry on this conversation with you; it's the very embodiment of arguing with a brick wall.

It's just a test. If you don't want to put stock in it, don't and move on; just know that your arguments from emotion have no bearing on its actual reliability. Quit trying to argue what you're blatantly unable to defend.

Have a good day.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I am the only Attorney on here! I actually loved this test!

ReputationRep:
    'How are you?' can be a rhetorical question. It depends on the context, tone of voice, and emphasis. If emphasis is placed on the 'are' , it provokes one to think about it, rather than answer it.
    Another example is 'Are you okay?'. If emphasis is placed on the 'are' it provokes one to think about, rather than answer it.

I suggest you take some vocabulary sessions, I feel like I'm talking to a 15 year old.
    A rhetorical question is meant to make a point. As such, I agree that "are you okay?" can be viewed as a rhetorical question when asked in that manner, but it's impossible to make any kind of point by saying "how are you?".

Back at you mate.

ReputationRep:
    Take the test here:
    Attachment 476245
    http://programs.clearerthinking.org/...l#.Vj4umbfhCUl

My results

Summary:
    'Rationalist' with a rational score of 91.67%
    Scored better than 99% of past users

Breakdown:
    Your quantitative reasoning score: 93.75%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 87.5%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 93.75%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 87.5%

OMG the test is soo long I'm only on question 8 will update when I'm finally done LOL

EDIT: RESULT TIME I'm a free thinker with a rational score of 27.78%

Most Free Spirits like to seek out new experiences; they prefer to enjoy these experience on an emotional level without poring over or analyzing them. They tend to enjoy the more colorful and artistic parts of everyday life. Approximately 21% of the populace are Free Spirits.

Your quantitative reasoning score: 31.25%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 37.5%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 18.75%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 18.75%

ReputationRep:
    I got Executive . Hastily voted rationalist not realising there was a quiz that would assign me my answer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Executives tend to be people of vision. They consider their own ideas as carefully as they consider ideas that others put before them, and they're adept at organizing both types of thought into clear plans of action for the future. However, they often prefer to leave the nitty-gritty components of these plans to others. Approximately 4% of the populace are Executives.
    You are Reflective: You dislike jumping to conclusions quickly. You’re adept at reflecting on your own thoughts. When it looks like your intuitions might be leading you astray, you don’t have a problem overriding them — instead, you take the time to re-evaluate the situation and figure out the wisest course of action.You are Subjective: People and stories interest you more than facts and figures do; you focus on the essence of ideas over the details. Your mind is more qualitative than quantitative. This trait lets you focus on the big picture over the nitty-gritty.You are Prepared: You tend to think clearly and comprehensively about the future. This makes you an excellent planner; you’re usually well prepared when you begin a new project, and you’re rarely caught by surprise.You are Skeptical: You treat new information and ideas with caution and skepticism. Spurious arguments rarely fool or confuse you, and your beliefs are based on foundations of hard logic. You possess a fine-tuned BS detector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashim123)
    As iAre's just told you, authoritativeness ≠ reliability. It's such a common misuse of logic that there's a logical fallacy for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority. You've also made yet another assumption that no-one at all would care about the results of a test, not realising the stupidity of making such an erroneous assumption on a thread with three pages of people taking the test and caring about the results. You then once again repeated that the thread is "pointless" without any logical justification despite my having just dealt with that in a 2-paragrraph post. Seriously, stop. It's blatantly obvious your ego's been damaged because you took the test and got lower than you expected to, and have now taken to undermining the OP's purpose of posting the thread and the reliability of the test to justify it to yourself.

You've blatantly exposed your complete ignorance of basic logical principles and how to have a sane, rational debate, let alone the intricacies of what rationality is; you've time and time again made futile arguments from assumptions plucked out of thin air; you've shown that you have no reading comprehension whatsoever after having gone on to make those same arguments even after having had them clearly and thoroughly shot down from a logical standpoin, or that some personal bias is clouding your judgement. Right now, the most irrational thing conceivable for me would be to carry on this conversation with you; it's the very embodiment of arguing with a brick wall.

It's just a test. If you don't want to put stock in it, don't and move on; just know that your arguments from emotion have no bearing on its actual reliability. Quit trying to argue what you're blatantly unable to defend.

Have a good day.
    I "no reading comprehension whatsoever", but it looks as though someone didn't get my first reply to this thread. Otherwise it would have been clear to you that I never took the test!

You can convince yourselves that this test is worthwhile for all the "insight" it will offer you, but common sense dictates that life's too short for meaningless things such as this.

Good day to you, too.

ReputationRep:
    Executive.

The description afterwards fits me in 3 out of 4 areas. It claims that people and stories interest me more than facts and figures, which isn't true. It also claims I am reflective, prepared, and skeptical - all of which are true.

64% rational.
    Your quantitative reasoning score: 62.5%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 81.25%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 62.5%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 56.25%

It apparently didn't like me for saying Bill died because of Stupidity. 'Smoke inhalation' is the supposed correct answer.

Also, what were we supposed to say for the ones that asked for money amounts? It said we were on a budget, but didn't specify how much that budget was. I chose pessimistic answers to be on the safe side, but then in the results it said I had no concept for how much money time costs and how much my job earns -.-

The questions were good I guess although they need better explanations for the answers.
    I feel like the analysis at the end needs some serious work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm as rational as the square root of 2 .

ReputationRep:
    Your quantitative reasoning score: 100%
    Your future-based reasoning score: 100%
    Your evidence evaluation score: 100%
    Your cognitive awareness score: 100%
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Completely legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    I cannot be bothered with the math questions at all, I dont understand any of them LMAO
    The answer to the 150 doughnuts one is 2 minutes.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.