Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Birchington

Mr Speaker,

I object to the wording of debate 4 as it implies that removal of fees makes the education actually free.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Birchington, I object to the wording of debate 4 as it implies that free education is actually free.
    The wording for all debates will be pinned down nearer the time, it's just a suggestion at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    We could repeat the monarchy referendum of a few years ago at some point?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    We could repeat the monarchy referendum of a few years ago at some point?
    Good idea, certainly something to reconsider next year as by then it'll be 4 years since the last one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I shall also add that the trident debate should more be about our nuclear future, given that that is what it is ultimately about.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The second debate on euthanasia is now underway.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

I propose a debate on airports in London and the South East, and the recommendations of the Davies Commission. Which I disagree with.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Speaker,

I propose a debate on airports in London and the South East, and the recommendations of the Davies Commission. Which I disagree with.
    This seems like a good idea for a debate. Perhaps the poll could include multiple options for people to select their preferred airport option. I'll add this to the list for 2016 and pin down the wording/poll nearer the time.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Here's the list of Big Debate ideas if you decide to hold another one.

ReputationRep:
    Bringing back National Service for adolescents, along with alternative Civilian Services for those whose strengths lie elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    Bringing back National Service for adolescents, along with alternative Civilian Services for those whose strengths lie elsewhere
    I very much support this and if I hadn't been so busy slash lazy, I would have introduced a bill along similar lines a long time ago – the idea still lies in our party forum, unfortunately. I think that adolescents nowadays could use military service; at least some basic training to teach them discipline and survival skills rather than letting them deteriorate into feminine metrosexual hipsters.

If you're interested in creating a joint bill once your party has been approved, feel free to let me know.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Here's the list of Big Debate ideas if you decide to hold another one.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I very much support this and if I hadn't been so busy slash lazy, I would have introduced a bill along similar lines a long time ago – the idea still lies in our party forum, unfortunately. I think that adolescents nowadays could use military service; at least some basic training to teach them discipline and survival skills rather than letting them deteriorate into feminine metrosexual hipsters.

If you're interested in creating a joint bill once your party has been approved, feel free to let me know.
    Sure - we will have to debate and vote on it as a party first, but should it pass I'll keep this in mind (assuming we aren't rejected)

ReputationRep:

Why should the government attempt to regulate young people's personalities and life choices in the way you've described by forcing them to do something like join the military? The government's primary role should be to provide services and look after the people, not to interfere in their lives in that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Why should the government attempt to regulate young people's personalities and life choices in the way you've described by forcing them to do something like join the military? The government's primary role should be to provide services and look after the people, not to interfere in their lives in that way.
    A democratically elected government is a collective extension of the people's will whose objective is to ensure that the state and its citizens develop and improve the quality of their life. If young people are getting progressively lazier, dependent on state (other people) support, prone to mental disorders, or failing to reproduce, it is the state's duty to step in and raise them to be productive members of the society, much like teachers in schools.

Moreover, metrosexual ‘ladies’ and the sort who rage on the internet and play video games rather than exercise or learn are significantly lowering our chances of prevailing in a large-scale military conflict which is a real threat these days. In order to look after all the people, the government must interfere with the lives of those ten or so per cent who are essentially weak links in the chain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I look forward to when you next try to tell people what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A democratically elected government is a collective extension of the people's will whose objective is to ensure that the state and its citizens develop and improve the quality of their life. If young people are getting progressively lazier, dependent on state (other people) support, prone to mental disorders, or failing to reproduce, it is the state's duty to step in and raise them to be productive members of the society, much like teachers in schools.

Moreover, metrosexual ‘ladies’ and the sort who rage on the internet and play video games rather than exercise or learn are significantly lowering our chances of prevailing in a large-scale military conflict which is a real threat these days. In order to look after all the people, the government must interfere with the lives of those ten or so per cent who are essentially weak links in the chain.
    Exactly - and I think you'll find that by and large most people are pretty uncomfortable with their private lives and how they choose to live being manipulated. The people are the masters of the government, not the other way round.

As far as I'm concerned as long as people have a job or are actively looking for one, and have been educated about the potential downsides of laziness, they can be as lazy as they like. That's their choice; it's their life after all, not anyone else's. As for being prone to mental disorders, people can't help that and that can't be fixed, and as for failing to reproduce, that's a recipe for a nation of mentally ill people who were told as a kid that mummy and daddy don't love them and only had them because the state told them to.

Why are you on TSR rather than exercising or learning right now then? Practice what you preach :lol:

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I look forward to when you next try to tell people what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll never tell anyone what to do. I'll tell them what I think they should do, usually with a justification.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly - and I think you'll find that by and large most people are pretty uncomfortable with their private lives and how they choose to live being manipulated. The people are the masters of the government, not the other way round.

As far as I'm concerned as long as people have a job or are actively looking for one, and have been educated about the potential downsides of laziness, they can be as lazy as they like. That's their choice; it's their life after all, not anyone else's. As for being prone to mental disorders, people can't help that and that can't be fixed, and as for failing to reproduce, that's a recipe for a nation of mentally ill people who were told as a kid that mummy and daddy don't love them and only had them because the state told them to.

Why are you on TSR rather than exercising or learning right now then? Practice what you preach :lol:

I'll never tell anyone what to do. I'll tell them what I think they should do, usually with a justification.
    Every time you vote aye for a bill which requires someone to do something you are telling an individual what to do.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.