Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to Cocochep, Miiru and Berry9. It's definitely awesome pre-Christmas news.
    The Admissions people said I would have to wait till mid-Jan 2016 for an answer.
    Hopefully I'll get to see you guys next fall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venus_In_Furs)
    For the three semesters I'm in Paris. For the internship, I'm hoping to budget less. In you do it in France, you are paid (it's the law, it's only 500€/month but still that's half my month's budget) or I'll be abroad and life will be cheaper (unless I end up in Geneva...)
    ok cool

- so is it possible to find accommodation just for the semesters and not year long?

- and overall how many months of 1k euro per month would you budget for for the whole 2 years?

I have gone onto the CROUS website and I won't be getting any help unfortunately, so I think I'll need to spend a year out to save some money. I do get a tuition fee waiver though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone ).

I´m so glad to find this thread. Just two days ago I got my admission email for Master in International Security. I´m really excited about it and I hope to meet you all in Paris next year. Congratulations to all already admitted and I´ll keep my fingers crossed for those waiting for the results.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. I'm currently at PSIA, M1 in International Security with concentrations in Human Rights and Africa. I remember being in your position this time last year, and lots of friendly people on TSR helped me out. So shoot if you have any questions!

Just hope you are all prepared for a LOT OF WORK. It's intense (but good!)
    Hi Venus .

That´s so great that you study International Security. I was admitted into the programme just two days ago. Would you mind if I ask you few questions? You mentioned that your regular budget was approximately 1000 euro/month. Could you tell me how much you pay for the accommodation, where you live and how difficult it was to find it? Also, how about the programme itself? Are you satisfied? How many people do you usually have in the classes and how many people enrolled in the programme in the end? And just one final question. I went through the thread from the last year and you were writing about the Sciences PO equivalent of CROUS and about the possibility of tution waiver. Don´t you know whether the annual income is calculated from gross income or whether they work with the final amount of the household income minus taxes? Huh, ok...that was maybe a bit more than just few questions O.

Thank you )

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sharriew!
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prohairesis)
    Congrats to Cocochep, Miiru and Berry9. It's definitely awesome pre-Christmas news.
    The Admissions people said I would have to wait till mid-Jan 2016 for an answer.
    Hopefully I'll get to see you guys next fall.
    You will get in. Positive thoughts only Prohairesis! Crossing my fingers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharriew)
    Hi Venus .

That´s so great that you study International Security. I was admitted into the programme just two days ago. Would you mind if I ask you few questions? You mentioned that your regular budget was approximately 1000 euro/month. Could you tell me how much you pay for the accommodation, where you live and how difficult it was to find it? Also, how about the programme itself? Are you satisfied? How many people do you usually have in the classes and how many people enrolled in the programme in the end? And just one final question. I went through the thread from the last year and you were writing about the Sciences PO equivalent of CROUS and about the possibility of tution waiver. Don´t you know whether the annual income is calculated from gross income or whether they work with the final amount of the household income minus taxes? Huh, ok...that was maybe a bit more than just few questions O.

Thank you )

Hey, No problem.

I'm sub-letting a room this semester, I pay €600, in the east of Paris. I found it through a colleague at work, but it is difficult to find somewhere, especially if you don't speak French. There are agencies in this case but you will pay more. Many people wanna try live around Sciences Po, but it's the most expensive (and snooty) part of Paris, and personally I wouldn't wanna live there, it's a bit boring/dead at the weekends. 10e and 11e are the coolest quartiers in my opinion, hopefully I'll be moving over there in January (me and my boyfriend are looking for a place right now).

I'd recommend moving here a couple of weeks in advance, or as early as you can afford, to avoid being here in August with 1000s of other students desperately searching at the same time.

I absolutely love the programme, my classes have been amazing. It's a lot of work. But it depends so much on your profs - I dunno if I got lucky or was just good at picking my courses My law prof was a world leading expert in his subject, and you often get professionals (e.g. next semester i'm hoping to do humanitarian law taught by the legal director of Medecines sans Frontieres) which is really cool. I like that it's generally more professionally orientated.

In lectures you can have around 60 people, smaller seminars around 15-25, for the formation commune they can be huge (120). Again, depends what you choose!

Security is the biggest master, I think we're around 200 people, out of 500 or so in total in our year at PSIA.

As for the bursary thing....I have no idea how they work it out. I did all kinds of calculations myself, playing with tax, exchange rates etc (e.g. I didn't know if they would use the current exchange rate with euros or the one from the year in question.....and in the end what they calculated was different from what I'd figured out (it was actually better so I was happy )

I applied for the bursary, sent all the forms, and they assessed it all and got back to me within a few days via email, that was back in April. So do it as soon as you can, I guess in the new year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Venus! Glad to hear you are enjoying the Master. I am in the process of applying to the International Security track (will try to submit my application before the January deadline). They ask for two professional references, and I was wondering If I can get your advice on which ones to provide. My former employer will happily do one, but I am not in a position of asking my current employer unfortunately. Do you think I should ask someone else at my previous firm, or may be a current client? I am wondering whether they will find that relevant.

Could I also ask in what field you were working before starting this Master?

Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, No problem.

I'm sub-letting a room this semester, I pay €600, in the east of Paris. I found it through a colleague at work, but it is difficult to find somewhere, especially if you don't speak French. There are agencies in this case but you will pay more. Many people wanna try live around Sciences Po, but it's the most expensive (and snooty) part of Paris, and personally I wouldn't wanna live there, it's a bit boring/dead at the weekends. 10e and 11e are the coolest quartiers in my opinion, hopefully I'll be moving over there in January (me and my boyfriend are looking for a place right now).

I'd recommend moving here a couple of weeks in advance, or as early as you can afford, to avoid being here in August with 1000s of other students desperately searching at the same time.

I absolutely love the programme, my classes have been amazing. It's a lot of work. But it depends so much on your profs - I dunno if I got lucky or was just good at picking my courses My law prof was a world leading expert in his subject, and you often get professionals (e.g. next semester i'm hoping to do humanitarian law taught by the legal director of Medecines sans Frontieres) which is really cool. I like that it's generally more professionally orientated.

In lectures you can have around 60 people, smaller seminars around 15-25, for the formation commune they can be huge (120). Again, depends what you choose!

Security is the biggest master, I think we're around 200 people, out of 500 or so in total in our year at PSIA.

As for the bursary thing....I have no idea how they work it out. I did all kinds of calculations myself, playing with tax, exchange rates etc (e.g. I didn't know if they would use the current exchange rate with euros or the one from the year in question.....and in the end what they calculated was different from what I'd figured out (it was actually better so I was happy )

I applied for the bursary, sent all the forms, and they assessed it all and got back to me within a few days via email, that was back in April. So do it as soon as you can, I guess in the new year.
    Hi ).

Thanks a lot for your help and for all the details. It´s really helpful and I´m very grateful for it . Yep, I´ll try to arrange all the things regarding the bursary as soon as possible. I´m waiting for the results of the Eiffel scholarship (They should be available in March.), although I´m a bit sceptical about it so I´ll rather prepare myself for the less optimistic option . Once again - thanks a lot! Would you mind if I contact you during the spring or summer regarding the individual courses? I went through all the information available on the websites like billion times (and I´ll go again ) but it would be very helpful to have an opinion of someone who has also the "inner" perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocochep)
    Hi Sharriew!
    Congratulations!
    Hi Cocochep
    Thanks a lot and big congratulations to you for being admitted to the master in International Development . It´s great that they managed to let us know so quickly.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    do you know how hard is it to get in for bachelor at Sciences Po?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Im an applicant from India and I also got admitted into the Masters in International Development programme at PSIA for 2016. Just got to do something about my funding.
    My profile: I went to one of the top-ranked colleges here (St. Xavier's College, Mumbai) and worked with two NGOs, attended two summer schools (NYU and Berkeley) and had three internships - one of them in the development sector practice division of a global audit consultancy. But also my GPA wasnt as high as 3.7 or 3.8. I had a 3.36 but I guess my extra-curriculars, co-curriculars and SoP worked in my favour :P

Great to see other MID students here. Hoping to see you all next fall!

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone know when they'll get back to us regarding the Eiffel and Boutmy scholarship?

And when should I ideally start looking for accomodation? Ive heard its very difficult to find good acc. in Paris

ReputationRep:
    I suppose around mid-January for the scholarships and yes, finding accommodation will be the nightmare . If you are set on attending and have your finances in order then I think the earlier you start searching for a flat, the better your chances of getting a really good offer.

ReputationRep:
    Mid Jan for Emilé and circa March/April for Eiffel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocochep)
    Mid Jan for Emilé and circa March/April for Eiffel.
    Where did you hear about the mid-Jan result notification date for Emile Boutmy Scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=miiru;61383159]Where did you hear about the mid-Jan result notification date for Emile Boutmy Scholarship?

My friend got feedback on Emile B. in January of last year.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Cocochep;61387185]
    (Original post by miiru)
    Where did you hear about the mid-Jan result notification date for Emile Boutmy Scholarship?

My friend got feedback on Emile B. in January of last year.
    I see. This is very useful, since I don't think the result notification date is written explicitly on Sciences Po's website! Does anyone have any idea how selective this scholarship is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharriew)
    Hi everyone ).

I´m so glad to find this thread. Just two days ago I got my admission email for Master in International Security. I´m really excited about it and I hope to meet you all in Paris next year. Congratulations to all already admitted and I´ll keep my fingers crossed for those waiting for the results.
    Congratulations! I have applied for this course! How long did it take for you to hear back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharriew;[url="tel:61228399")
    61228399[/url]]Hi everyone ).

Hi! Congratulations on the offer! I applied as well but only a few days ago. Could I asked what kind of background you have in terms of previous degree and professional experience? Thanks!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.