Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will Mourinho be fired if they lose to Norwich? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Everything is about winning - and they haven't won. Fabregas and Hazard dropped off, Costa came back struggling with fitness and goals, Ivanovic and JT fell off a cliff.

Now, you're in a situation like this where it's not just about results to try and reclaim a title race, but it's now a struggle to get back into the top four and that must be a terrible thing for somebody who is a champion.
    I'd say part of that is down to the replacements being poor too. Fabregas, for example, hasn't been performing well since around Xmas. Normally he'd get replaced, but people like Mikel and Ramires just haven't been good enough. It's the same with Falcao for Costa.

With this in mind, I really think Jose should have given youth players a chance. Nathan Ake was the best defender on the pitch today in the time he received, so Mourinho could have kept him instead of buying Rahman or worse playing Ivanovic. RLC deserves a chance too. I suppose Kenedy was given a chance today, but he's a striker/winger playing left back.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    I'd say part of that is down to the replacements being poor too. Fabregas, for example, hasn't been performing well since around Xmas. Normally he'd get replaced, but people like Mikel and Ramires just haven't been good enough. It's the same with Falcao for Costa.

With this in mind, I really think Jose should have given youth players a chance. Nathan Ake was the best defender on the pitch today in the time he received, so Mourinho could have kept him instead of buying Rahman or worse playing Ivanovic. RLC deserves a chance too. I suppose Kenedy was given a chance today, but he's a striker/winger playing left back.
    Falcao was a bizarre signing, and your lack of deputies just goes back to Mourinho having a small core of players he trusts. He has always worked like that, but when it caves in on itself like it is currently doing, it proves problematic.

ReputationRep:
    Falcao was a bizarre signing, and your lack of deputies just goes back to Mourinho having a small core of players he trusts. He has always worked like that, but when it caves in on itself like it is currently doing, it proves problematic.
    Mourinho is a short-term manager really. His man-management isn't great and he burns ageing squads out, without replacing them. I don't really see what Chelsea have to gain keeping him there, I personally would give a less established manager a chance now.

As you said, having a small core group of players will burn out and alienate the squad.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mourinho is a short-term manager really. His man-management isn't great and he burns ageing squads out, without replacing them. I don't really see what Chelsea have to gain keeping him there, I personally would give a less established manager a chance now.
    But that'll cause a vicious cycle. They'll end up bringing in an equivalent of AVB or Di Matteo, it'll inevitably end with Chelsea fans wanting somebody else, and Abramovich will sack them and the cycle continues until Mourinho goes back for a THIRD time.

ReputationRep:
    But that'll cause a vicious cycle. They'll end up bringing in an equivalent of AVB or Di Matteo, it'll inevitably end with Chelsea fans wanting somebody else, and Abramovich will sack them and the cycle continues until Mourinho goes back for a THIRD time.
    Depends. I'd argue that both Di Matteo (who was very lucky) and AVB were flops. There are plenty of good managers who'd lead them to where they need to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends. I'd argue that both Di Matteo (who was very lucky) and AVB were flops. There are plenty of good managers who'd lead them to where they need to be.
    Simeone seems a natural fit for Chelsea, to be honest.

Who the bloody hell are you, by the way? I was convinced you were Sheddy's dupe.

ReputationRep:
    Simeone seems a natural fit for Chelsea, to be honest.

Who the bloody hell are you, by the way? I was convinced you were Sheddy's dupe.
    http://streamable.com/3xv1

Yeah, agreed that Simeone would be a good pick for Chelsea. He should be their first choice. Considering Atletico are a borderline feeder club, he would probably want to go to a side who aren't getting their top talents poached.

I'd look to people like Allegri, Koeman and Pardew who despite being "loose cannons" would really deserve being looked at.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://streamable.com/3xv1

Yeah, agreed that Simeone would be a good pick for Chelsea. He should be their first choice. Considering Atletico are a borderline feeder club, he would probably want to go to a side who aren't getting their top talents poached.

I'd look to people like Allegri, Koeman and Pardew who despite being "loose cannons" would really deserve being looked at.
    Scenes if he ever rocks up at Stamford Bridge.

At least you'd be replacing somebody Wenger hates with somebody he equally despises.

ReputationRep:
    Scenes if he ever rocks up at Stamford Bridge.

At least you'd be replacing somebody Wenger hates with somebody he equally despises.
    To be fair, Pellegrini wasn't hugely more established than Pardew before taking over Man City and Rodgers was less established when taking over Liverpool. He'd be a risk, but I'm not sure which big name managers would actually go to Chelsea.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To be fair, Pellegrini wasn't hugely more established than Pardew before taking over Man City and Rodgers was less established when taking over Liverpool. He'd be a risk, but I'm not sure which big name managers would actually go to Chelsea.
    Benitez.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    A triple pun lulz:

interim
    into him
    Inter him
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rafa's going to be shown the door at Real, then. It's written in the stars, lads.

These are facts.

ReputationRep:
    This is not true in the slightest with regards to Pellegrini. He got to the CL semi final in 2006 with Villareal and were a minute away from getting to the CL semi final in 2013...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    This is not true in the slightest with regards to Pellegrini. He got to the CL semi final in 2006 with Villareal and were a minute away from getting to the CL semi final in 2013...
    I said he wasn't HUGELY more established. The CL semi final in 2006 wasn't that impressive; in the knock out rounds Villareal were against Rangers and Inter (who were the third best team in Serie A at the time). The quarter finals are nothing to shout about either.

The point is that he wasn't as established as Van Gaal, Mourinho, Ancelotti, AVB, Hiddink, Scolari, Mancini etc which is why I feel less proven managers i.e. Pardew should get more chances at big clubs, as opposed to picking from the same group.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pardew's bound to get the England job, really. As much as people say that the FA will likely replace Hodgson with a foreigner, I think it's bound to be Pardew. The press will champion him and want him. They did the same with Harry Redknapp last time around, and there will be massive pressure to employ him at Wembley if he carries on impressing quietly with Palace.

ReputationRep:
    Pardew's bound to get the England job, really. As much as people say that the FA will likely replace Hodgson with a foreigner, I think it's bound to be Pardew. The press will champion him and want him. They did the same with Harry Redknapp last time around, and there will be massive pressure to employ him at Wembley if he carries on impressing quietly with Palace.
    Gary Neville, Brendan Rodgers and Gareth Southgate could all very feasibly get the job ahead of him. There isn't an out and out favourite among the bookies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.