(Original post by samina_ay)
    was thinking of getting a samsung
    Ok they are good

ReputationRep:
    I will never
    ever
    go for such crap

ReputationRep:
    Right, at some point they will start asking why they don't have one when all of their friends have an iPhone already and probably they will get teased and called poor
    Not having a phone would leave them outside the social circle too..I think you just gotta teach the kids to use their phones correctly and safely

ReputationRep:
    I'm not having children but if so I'd discourage them and get them something running a decent OS. Debian mobile should be ready in a few years.

(Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Yes, it can make out to be a target for thieves.
    It is not a suitable phone for children.
    They can be tracked and hacked, and used for the wrong purposes.
    Pretty much any computer can be tracked and hacked and used for the wrong purposes.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I'd be a bit like my parents. I wouldn't be like some of the above individuals and completely ban them using their phone until X age. While that may seem like the most effective option, children, especially ones without sibling or many friends could grow up with anxiety issues and they would also be out of line with the current trends and fads of our current society, and frankly, basing yourself on your parent's views and interests can sometimes be worrying.

No, it is far simpler to just regulate the times when and where your child can use his phone. Set a timetable. Make your child work and do his homework until 6:30 then let him/her spend his/her free time as they wish. In that way, you're not being the totalitarian parent, but you're also letting them develop like everyone else.
    Killing two birds with one stone, eh?

ReputationRep:
    better get ready for a nokia brick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Right, at some point they will start asking why they don't have one when all of their friends have an iPhone already and probably they will get teased and called poor
    Not having a phone would leave them outside the social circle too..I think you just gotta teach the kids to use their phones correctly and safely
    Then you should use this as a good lesson to teach your children that materialism is shallow and that there are far more important things in life and friendship than to owning the latest gadgets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I would not buy my children an iPhone until they're at least 18; I would buy them a decent smartphone (when they're around 14/15 - 17), but nothing too expensive or extravagant like an iPhone or Samsung Galaxies. I don't understand why parents do, my parents never did and I agree with their stance. I don't believe in spoiling children with such expensive gadgets, unless it's a games console.
    Why is a games console different?

ReputationRep:
    In 15-20 years social norms will be different to now, and I reckon it will be expected of children to have smartphones by around 10. Upto 10 they can just play on tablets, they'd prefer playing on that to a phone anyway.

I laugh at the loads of the people saying no phones till 18. I guarantee by 12 (?), they will have a phone. It is way too impractical for them not to have a phone in high school. Would you prefer your child is unable to contact you if something goes wrong? Or are you just going to keep them locked up like Boo Radley so they don't get into trouble?

They will be going out when they are teens so it is silly to limit them to a crappy phone or none at all. If you can't afford one then fair enough but if you are financially able it should be an important purchase

ReputationRep:
    My sister got my three year old niece an iPhone 5 on contract just to play games on as she prefers to play on phones rather than tablets; don't know why she didn't just buy her a cheap android.

To answer the OP: Maybe when they're teenagers. I probably wouldn't get my kids have a phone until they were 10/11 but as someone else pointed out things might be different then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    I'd be very strict about this. I wouldn't buy my child expensive gadgets until they are around 16-18. I dont want them to rely on technology too much. I want them to communicate properly and build upon social skills (eg face to face interaction).
    Totally agree. Plenty of times I've been out to restaurants etc and there are families there with the kids sometimes up to the ages of 14/15 sat there playing on their iphones/ipads.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.