Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Yep, first exam!

I'm trying to get FP2 finished before M3, although I learnt most of M3 a while ago; it's a nice jump from M2.
    (Original post by Zacken)
    SHM just has this really nice feel about it, y'know? :-)
    Aha nice!

Yes, I think I only really need to go over the transformations/loci.

Do you know if we can use laplace transformation for differential equations?

Do you think, that the maths within physics is really easy? Like the AS mechanics module for physics is half of the difficulty of M1 imo?

Covered all of the circular motion in physics, ideal gas laws which will be fun to do. And chem too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    the first mechanics module which is hard

M1 and M2 are warm up
    I had planned on self studying it for June 2016 starting in January. Do you think the hardest part is understanding the actual concepts, or are things just long-winded and so harder to learn and apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I had planned on self studying it for June 2016 starting in January. Do you think the hardest part is understanding the actual concepts, or are things just long-winded and so harder to learn and apply?
    both but mainly the concepts will get harder
    (more cognition is now needed rather than rote)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    the first mechanics module which is hard

M1 and M2 are warm up
    M2 is not easy at all I think.

I find FP2 C4 S2 all easier than M2, but that is because my mechanics is weak. I will strat up though for it. Its a shame there is not a FP4 or S5 for edexcel, 5 mechanics modules are the most abundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    both but mainly the concepts will get harder
    (more cognition is now needed rather than rote)
    Ah I see. Hopefully that shouldn't be too bad. I rarely do questions mechanically (pun intended) anyway.

I've heard some topics are similar to the A2 Physics spec, but quite a bit harder. Wonder how that will work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)

I find FP2 C4 S2 all easier than M2, but that is because my mechanics is weak. I will strat up though for it. Its a shame there is not a FP4 or S5 for edexcel, 5 mechanics modules are the most abundant.
    S2 is really easy!

ReputationRep:
    Relative motion will be the end of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)

good luck to both

(Loads of questions by topic in my site in the mechanics section)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Relative motion will be the end of you!
    relative motion is in M4 in EDEXCEL and I fully agree ...

relative motion is one of the hardest topics of entire current mechanics syllabus

ReputationRep:
    Which board is this thread for? I'm doing AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)

relative motion is one of the hardest topics of entire current mechanics syllabus
    It's in AQA M3. Literally the only thing in maths so far that I couldn't grasp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    good luck to both

(Loads of questions by topic in my site in the mechanics section)
    Thank you, your fp3 stuff is quite good I must say, nice additional practice.

(Original post by sarcastic-sal)
    Which board is this thread for? I'm doing AQA
    edexcel, nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)

Relative motion was in my GCSE course.

ReputationRep:
    Relative motion was in my GCSE course.
    We cannot all be that smart ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    We cannot all be that smart ...
    It was hell on earth.

ReputationRep:
    It was hell on earth.
    Sure ...

I am still struggling with it.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing M5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somerandomguy123)
    Is anyone doing M5?
    Quite a few people here, there should be a thread for it in this subforum.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been dead for a while, though I'd post a question. Circular motion question up for grabs!

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 02.25.41.png
Views: 70
Size:  241.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    This thread has been dead for a while, though I'd post a question. Circular motion question up for grabs!

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 02.25.41.png
Views: 70
Size:  241.2 KB
    I really hope this isn't from an IAL paper, I'm saving those for mocks just after the new year.

Resolving horizontally: \displaystyle T \sin \frac{\pi}{6} - N \sin \frac{\pi}{6} = m\omega^2 r \iff N = T - 2m\omega^2 r

Resolving vertically: \displaystyle T \cos \frac{\pi}{6} + N \cos \frac{\pi}{6} = mg \iff T + N = \frac{2mg}{\sqrt{3}}

Solving simultaneously yields (omitting the obvious algebra) \displaystyle T = \frac{mg}{\sqrt{3}} + m\omega^2 r

And some trigonometry shows that \displaystyle \cos \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{r}{\ell}

So our final answer is \boxed{T = \frac{mg}{\sqrt{3}} + \frac{m\omega^2 \ell}{2}}

Solving for the normal reaction gives us \displaystyle N = \frac{mg}{\sqrt{3}} - m \omega^2 r > 0 \iff \frac{g}{\sqrt{3}} - \frac{\omega^2 \ell}{2} > 0. So \displaystyle w < \sqrt{\frac{2g}{\ell \sqrt{3}}}. Using the famous \omega = \frac{2\pi}{T_p} yields that \displaystyle \boxed{T_p > 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{\ell \sqrt{3}}{2g}}} as required.

Nice question, though. Cheers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.