Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are private schools worth the ££££? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    I went to a private school. Academically it was very strong, and I had a good experience, but I don't think it's necessary to go to such a school to get good grades or to be successful in life. If you are bright and ambitious almost any school would do. Where an "elite" school does make a difference sometimes is that you are surrounded by people who are aiming high (either themselves or their families!) and this can have a positive influence on your own expectations about yourself and your life, if that drive is not naturally there.
    I disagree. I know around 8 people from my school who went on to sixth form. We all worked hard in GCSE- getting As/A* with a couple of Bs. Then in AS the best literally got ABBB everyone else much lower and A2 it was just down the drain. All of us worked hard, unless we lack intelligence which I doubt, I think the quality of teaching decreases as it starts to become difficult. Other factors such as teachers not teaching the correct work with no focus on past papers and so on, which probably wouldn't happen to more elite school- which clearly focus on knowing ONLY what's required and nailing it.

Example: In my class for AS we finished biology unit 2 literally a week before the exam.

That's just my experience, I hope it's respectful, feel free to correct/post your thoughts on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskVsReward)
    I disagree. I know around 8 people from my school who went on to sixth form. We all worked hard in GCSE- getting As/A* with a couple of Bs. Then in AS the best literally got ABBB everyone else much lower and A2 it was just down the drain. All of us worked hard, unless we lack intelligence which I doubt, I think the quality of teaching decreases as it starts to become difficult. Other factors such as teachers not teaching the correct work with no focus on past papers and so on, which probably wouldn't happen to more elite school- which clearly focus on knowing ONLY what's required and nailing it.

Example: In my class for AS we finished biology unit 2 literally a week before the exam.

That's just my experience, I hope it's respectful, feel free to correct/post your thoughts on it.
    I'm not sure where you disagree. Nothing you said contradicts my post.

ReputationRep:
    'but I don't think it's necessary to go to such a school to get good grades or to be successful in life. If you are bright and ambitious almost any school would do.'

Maybe in GCSEs this is the case, I doubt it for A-levels though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yung7up)
    Do you think you would have done much better at school/life if you went to a private school? Everyone says the standards are much higher, which is understandable considering the £££ being put in, but is it really? Just curious about everyone's views on private schools
    depends.... i go to private high school and plan on gong to a private collage.... they help consolidate whatever youve learnt and get on with it rather than delay it, the standards are higher but thats good cause you need that push if you wanna truly excel.... i went to a state school for 1 year and yeah it was fun and all that crap but yeah

ReputationRep:
    'but I don't think it's necessary to go to such a school to get good grades or to be successful in life. If you are bright and ambitious almost any school would do.'

Maybe in GCSEs this is the case, I doubt it for A-levels though.
    OK, I see what you mean. It's true that quality of teaching is not there in every school but you can have quality of teaching in non-elite schools. My own so-called elite school had a good academic record but many of the friends I made at university were from average state schools and they were not at all lacking in terms of their academic ability. It's very bad though when bad schools and teachers fail bright and hard-working students...

ReputationRep:
    OK, I see what you mean. It's true that quality of teaching is not there in every school but you can have quality of teaching in non-elite schools. My own so-called elite school had a good academic record but many of the friends I made at university were from average state schools and they were not at all lacking in terms of their academic ability. It's very bad though when bad schools and teachers fail bright and hard-working students...
    I agree here. I think it's probably more to do with the economic situation, my parents are immigrants, we came to an area with many immigrants from pakistan and somalia/somali land. It's a deprived area and even the best people this year couldn't get into medicine, I think only 1 person managed to get in. Maybe i'm more of an extreme example compared to the average though.

I honestly think if the govt actually invests like other govts such as findland or other countries in that region which requires like at least a masters for teachers and pays competitively then the issue would be solved. Right now, many teachers, not all, go into teaching because they can't go into anything creme de la crop so they just go into teaching- proof being my bio teacher who failed to get into medicine. I guess this is more of another debate though for another thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johann von Gauss)
    Yeah, if you are too thick to get into a Grammar school, or there aren't any near you.

Comprehensives are rubbish.
    I went to a grammar school until I was 13 - I left because the teaching was ****ing awful (it was also an all girls school and they were all little *****es but that's irrelevant). I transferred to a comprehensive school where I found the teaching to be of a much higher standard and got all A*s and As at GCSE.

The only reason grammar schools look better than comprehensives when it comes to GCSE/A Level results has to do with the fact that there are a higher proportion of intelligent pupils at grammar schools.

IMHO, it doesn't matter where you go to school. If you're intelligent and motivated you're going to do well no matter where you go to school (at least, at GCSE, as it's fairly easy to teach yourself at that level).

ReputationRep:
    Did you read their post? It does disagree with what you wrote. Reread it.

ReputationRep:
    no, it isn't - although I only went to private school for 5 years between kindergarden and year 3, it was equally as **** as state school, just stricter

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lazy *******. If my parents were paying huge sums of money for my education, would I be less of a lazy *******? Maybe...

ReputationRep:
    Nope. If you're naturally gifted, you'd probably end up doing the same. However, I have noticed below-average students to much better at private schools than their comprehensive counterparts. Maybe due to pushing them more.

ReputationRep:
    You doss your way into the top universities (for any decent private school), have friends for life from wealthy backgrounds, get the use of facilities for the years you are at school etc.

But if you work hard at state school, you make up for that aside from not having as many rich friends. Unfortunately cliques emerge at uni with wealthy people sticking together and state school people sticking together, mainly through halls (not always the case though).

Worth the money? Depends how much money the family have in the first place. If they are crippled as a consequence, then perhaps not. If it's at all comfortable, then it's worth it.

It's unfair but life is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    True, but if you had the chance to go to a private school would you go?
    Possibly if it was Summerhill school. A very interesting and thought provoking educational experiment. It would have also helped with my dyspraxia, as they are better equipped to deal with kids who find life harder than most.

Any other school: nah. Not worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking what Uni do you go? If it's good, then you are pretty lucky/talented. If it is average/lower, then your going with the few failures of private school- no offence.

It's because those are not the top ones. I bet if you compare the average A*/A between your school and that private they could be as high as 80% or even higher at some while some state schools such as mines were at 2-3% with ABB lol. You are 100% correct though about pushing you however I believe at any level it can boost you at least 2-3 grades higher.
    I know that about 46/100 in my year got 6A* and above at gcse. 11 people got 13A*. At this private school, my friend there said 9 got 13 a* out of 110 people. At AS level, many at my school outperformed theirs. Quite a few got grades as low as E in some subjects. Most in mine got a's b's and C's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    I know that about 46/100 in my year got 6A* and above at gcse. 11 people got 13A*. At this private school, my friend there said 9 got 13 a* out of 110 people. At AS level, many at my school outperformed theirs. Quite a few got grades as low as E in some subjects. Most in mine got a's b's and C's.
    Not every private achools are equal. Most people probably did well but didnt know them. Of course some odd people domt gove a **** but thats not all. I got bbbb for as but that doesnt represent my sixth does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisguisedToast)
    I'm a lazy *******. If my parents were paying huge sums of money for my education, would I be less of a lazy *******? Maybe...
    Your parents would have just paid for a new son

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Have you ever been to one?
    I've been at a grammar school since Year 7 and at the same one even now for Year 12, it doesnt matter what school you go to because if you put in the effort then you'll surely do well in your academic progress and that is evident with people who came from comprehensive schools to my school who got better grades than some of us.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you would have done much better at school/life if you went to a private school? Everyone says the standards are much higher, which is understandable considering the £££ being put in, but is it really? Just curious about everyone's views on private schools
    I have been to both, and although it isn't a perfect comparison (independent prep school vs state grammar for GCSEs onwards) the main difference for me was that the prep school had a lot of incidental benefits which made me happy to work. Things like spacious grounds, nice architecture and...a predominance of other kids with parents who valued education.

I haven't attended big boy private school, but I don't think there's one simple answer you can give to your question. If it is a top public school and you have plenty of disposable income, then I do think it's a good investment. There are again many incidental benefits (particularly networking) as well as more direct benefits (more opportunities for enhancing your Oxbridge application). If I have the money when my kids are that age, I would give it strong consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
    I've been at a grammar school since Year 7 and at the same one even now for Year 12, it doesnt matter what school you go to because if you put in the effort then you'll surely do well in your academic progress and that is evident with people who came from comprehensive schools to my school who got better grades than some of us.
    Did you say you went to a grammar school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisguisedToast)
    Did you get that user from hearthstone :P?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.