Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VV Cephei A)
    Well by definition they still "do", that's why they are clinical teachers and not giving powerpoints to first years. Many are also part time and are still very actively involved in their field.
    Then...Why do they teach? Or is 'those who can't do, teach' just...wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Why do the right wing go into business unqualified?

ReputationRep:
    This attempted to explain it: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Politic...s_of_academics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Then...Why do they teach? Or is 'those who can't do, teach' just...wrong?
    Clinical teachers are of course, by nature, an exception

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about intelligence, but there's a correlation between having degrees and being left: http://www.businessinsider.com/proof...mocrats-2012-5
    I don't think you compare US Republicans with British Tories.

ReputationRep:
    Clinical teachers are of course, by nature, an exception
    Why?

And why would you then attend university if you're just going to be mostly taught by inferior people who can't 'do'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I don't think you compare US Republicans with British Tories.
    Tories are basically lefty, and if there's a correlation, the correlation should be applicable to a political landscape that is much lefter.

But anyway, Green voters have the highest IQ whilst BNP ones have the lowest: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...beraldemocrats

ReputationRep:
    Why?

And why would you then attend university if you're just going to be mostly taught by inferior people who can't 'do'?
    Because they can do, you dolt

And I self teach everything. Attending university is a formality, save for when we learn how to "do"

ReputationRep:
    Source? Most scientists believe in climate change.
    Anecdotal, just like most of the claims made in this thread and the thread title itself.

And when did climate change become the preserve of the left?

ReputationRep:
    Because they can do, you dolt
    How can there be exceptions to you obviously accurate and universal rule?

And I self teach everything.
    Wait. So you couldn't 'do'? In future when you teach yourself something again does it mean you've lost the ability to 'do' before you stop teaching yourself anything?

Attending university is a formality, save for when we learn how to "do"
    Why waste the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandbeer2)
    As far as I'm aware, I received a free education in the UK.
    Free higher education, I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Anecdotal, just like most of the claims made in this thread and the thread title itself.

And when did climate change become the preserve of the left?
    Academia being mostly dominated by liberal academics is a statistical fact. You can easily google yourself that.

Since Republicans and Ukippers decided not to believe in it. It's now a politicised issue whether you like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Because facts have a liberal bias :cool:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Possibly because the left-wing is more likely to appreciate research for the sake of science rather than for the sake of business?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    It seems to me that the Left is represented disproportionately in academic circles and I do not know why this is. There are of course exceptions to this, but so many of them only serve to reinforce this view because of how they have been treated by their peers - think of Roger Scruton's Salisbury Review and the leper status it gave him.

Why do you think this is? Do you even believe it is?
    I believe it is far less than appears from the typical gobby leftie.

It is very hard to get reliable data on voting by occupation but many other voting statistics do not fit the stereotypes.

Who are the 1 in 11 Guardian readers who vote Tory? Who are the 1 in 6 Daily Mirror readers who vote Tory?

Unison did a poll in 2009 and found that more public sector workers were intending to vote Conservative than Labour. Another poll in 2010 found a third of Unite members were intending to vote Conservative at the 2010 election.

ReputationRep:
    You have to have more than just a turd for brains to be an academic.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely because in academia you always have to question things. The "traditional" way of doing things can pretty much always be improved upon, you're always trying to make something better in someway even if your efforts don't work. That lends itself more to a left mindset, plus the right wing are way more likely to ignore academic consensus on something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Because the left is ideological, and academia is ideological.

I also rarely hear about left-wing STEM academics. It tends to be humanities, arts and social sciences academics.
    Einstein was pretty left-wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    Einstein was pretty left-wing.
    And Edward Teller wasn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People choose academia for many reasons. One of them being the inability to hack the career.
    People choose industry for many reasons. One of them being the inability to hack a doctorate.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.