The Student Room Group

Can an opinion be right or wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by eoe
I dont care to explain

Awww is my thread too intellectual for you? :rolleyes:
Of course it can. There are right opinions (i.e. facts) and there are wrong opinions.
Original post by Cold 187um
Of course it can. There are right opinions (i.e. facts) and there are wrong opinions.

Is anything truly a fact, or just a very well supported opinion?
I believe that there are, for sure, facts - but not that any human being knows any one of them for sure.
Reply 44
Original post by Eggs20
Awww is my thread too intellectual for you? :rolleyes:

Did you just call this forum indirectly intellectual?
LOL
id say ultimately no. just that some opinions are more reasonable than others or backed up more than others
e.g. a christian hating gays could say his reasons are because the bible or god or whatever so you can decide if thats reasonable enough (to me. and the majority of people, it isn't reasonable)
Reply 46
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed

Well if I said if you jump off a high story building there is a very good chance you will die- That is a fact is it not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Cold 187um

Can you provide an example of a right opinion please good sir?
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed

I meant to say that there are absolute facts (things which can't be labelled as opinions because they're a statement of fact), then there are wrong opinions, then there are also opinions which are acceptable. Yes, there are many things that are truly factual. Then there are some subjective opinions which are widely held, widely supported and widely accepted despite not being an absolute fact, i.e. a grey area exists. Sometimes we might not know the truth or reality about something. And in some cases, it's acceptable to have an opinion about something and that opinion can be considered valid, in these situations it's not possible for an opinion to be wrong because the subject matter deals with subjectivity rather than objectivity.
Reply 49
Original post by eoe
Did you just call this forum indirectly intellectual?
LOL

If you look up the definition of intellectual you will find this thread falls under that definition.
I am sure this thread is making you head explode. its ok its not you fault you brain can not undertake rational thinking. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Eggs20
If you look up the definition of intellectual you will find this thread falls under that definition.
I am sure this thread is making you head explode. its ok its not you fault you brain can not undertake rational thinking. :smile:

:catfight:
Reply 51

I would kick you ass in a real fight and you know it. :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by Eggs20
I would kick you ass in a real fight and you know it. :biggrin:

:pcguru:
Original post by Eggs20
Correction: If you break the law AND GET CAUGHT there will be consequences that personally affect you. However, if the law enforcements can't find any evidence then you will not face any consequences.

Also good sir the law doesn't fall under the definition of a fact. It is against the law to be gay or for women to drive in Saudia Arabia. So does that make it wrong to be gay or to drive for a women in Saudia Arabia. If you met a gay Saudian Arabian would you tell them they are wrong for being gay?

I wonder why you even made this thread, it's obvious you know the answer to your own question "sir".
Reply 54
Original post by samina_ay
I wonder why you even made this thread, it's obvious you know the answer to your own question "sir".

ooops did somebody just realize they have been outsmarted? :u:
Original post by Eggs20
ooops did somebody just realize they have been outsmarted? :u:

There's more important things to worry about kid, go to sleep :smile:
Original post by Inexorably
Not right/wrong but you can certainly have a misinformed opinion.

PRSOM
Original post by Eggs20
So what you say is something may be seen as right or wrong by objectively they are not?

I suppose so, yeah.

At least, that's what I think.
Reply 58
Original post by samina_ay
There's more important things to worry about kid, go to sleep :smile:

Oi mate I just made you look a right fool in this thread. I made you go speechless to the point where you cry 'bahh bahh if you already know the answer why you create the thread' :sad:

So you have no right to call me a kid good sir. :redface:

I hope you have a horrible nightmare tonight.
Original post by Eggs20
Oi mate I just made you look a right fool in this thread. I made you go speechless to the point where you cry 'bahh bahh if you already know the answer why you create the thread' :sad:

So you have no right to call me a kid good sir. :redface:

I hope you have a horrible nightmare tonight.

Awww and the same to you kid.

Quick Reply