Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch Money)
    How did you come to that conclusion?
    I read your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Less "lucky", more "intelligent"
    Nah brah I don't think it has to do with intelligence, it's just that most people are cursed with these biological instincts to have kids. I feel bad for you all. Then again at least you might not end up in a care home when you're old if you are nice to your kids they might let u sleep on their sofa.

ReputationRep:
    I have always wanted children. Not through wanting to continue any form of legacy, but through wanting to raise a child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I don't follow. We don't have to act to fulfil our desires and so both people who want and don't want kids are capable of making adult financial choices for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch Money)
    Oh really? Well, that's funny because I read your posts and the word c*unt screams out to me.
    Reported for swear filter avoidance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    We don't have to act to fulfil our desires
    That's a sad existence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Reported for swear filter avoidance.

*Shrug

ReputationRep:
    Nah brah I don't think it has to do with intelligence, it's just that most people are cursed with these biological instincts to have kids. I feel bad for you all. Then again at least you might not end up in a care home when you're old if you are nice to your kids they might let u sleep on their sofa.
    You see, I don't want to attack you here as I am sympathetic to the anti-kid perspective, but are you sure this isn't defensive? When anti -having kids people use this type of language it seems overly aggressive, justifying, it actually lends less credibility to those who don't have them if, that is, when people extrapolate and generalize, as they do often. And, you are sort of placing yourself above biological instincts as though you are superior to them, but I struggle to imagine you have none. Sure we can have a very valid, complex debate about how much we should override our biological instincts, and the wisdom of doing so, whether it causes good or bad consequences, but to say that you simply do not possess them seems a little dishonest to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    1-bed flats in London have also become ridiculously expensive.

Not sure if it is cheaper tbh. Let's assume that if you wanted children you'd probably have a partner, so twice the income. A 2-bed flat costs less than 2x a 1-bed flat, etc.
    That's not a consequence of having kids, that's a consequence of living with a partner. You can be a single parent or you can live with a partner and not have kids.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't particularly bothered about having kids until I started working in an old people's home. The ones who never have visitors are the ones who never had children. It's incredibly sad. Most of their personal possessions like clothes/shoes/toiletries are supplied by family - so if they don't have family (most people don't have many people left when they're 90+) then they get an allowance per week for essentials and it's meagre. To be 80/90+ and all alone - no one ever coming to visit, no one bringing you socks when all of yours have holes in etc, all of your family dead or dying - it's really sad. I've cared for people who were very financially successful in their youth (healthcare practitioners, lawyers, people who married into wealth etc) but they lived with the bare minimum in old age.

So you'd better hope your brother/sister (if you have siblings) has kids and you'd better be really nice to them, otherwise, look forward to a lonely demise. Then again, you could have awful kids who don't care when you're old - I've seen that too - or your kids could die young. So I guess, having kids is only a chance that you might not die lonely and poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    You see, I don't want to attack you here as I am sympathetic to the anti-kid perspective, but are you sure this isn't defensive? When anti -having kids people use this type of language it seems overly aggressive, justifying, it actually lends less credibility to those who don't have them if, that is, people were to extrapolate and generalize, hard not to do often. And, you are sort of placing yourself above biological instincts as though you are superior to them, but I struggle to imagine you have none. Sure we can debate about how much we should override our biological instincts, and the wisdom of doing so, whether it causes good or bad consequences, but to say that you simply to not possess them seems a little dishonest to me.
    That's so deep. I am not anti kids. I just personally dont want kids. Bro, its really not that deep. Also, I was being tongue in cheek with the sofa comment lmao.

But no, not everyone has biological instincts to reproduce. I didnt say I dont have any biological instincts at all though, I am a human as far as I am aware not a unicorn
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, I was pretty much born without that instinct Can't see how having kids would benefit me in any way tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like kids as soon as I've fulfilled things that a child won't interrupt, such as travelling. I also need to be financially stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I wasn't particularly bothered about having kids until I started working in an old people's home. The ones who never have visitors are the ones who never had children. It's incredibly sad. Most of their personal possessions like clothes/shoes/toiletries are supplied by family - so if they don't have family (most people don't have many people left when they're 90+) then they get an allowance per week for essentials and it's meagre. To be 80/90+ and all alone - no one ever coming to visit, no one bringing you socks when all of yours have holes in etc, all of your family dead or dying - it's really sad. I've cared for people who were very financially successful in their youth (healthcare practitioners, lawyers, people who married into wealth etc) but they lived with the bare minimum in old age.

So you'd better hope your brother/sister (if you have siblings) has kids and you'd better be really nice to them, otherwise, look forward to a lonely demise. Then again, you could have awful kids who don't care when you're old - I've seen that too - or your kids could die young. So I guess, having kids is only a chance that you might not die lonely and poor.
    Yeah but when you're young you dont really care about that. Like what 20 year old sits around thinking 'I have to have a kid because if I dont, in 60 years I will be lonely' haha.

But I dont want to live till I am that old anyway! I have already decided that I will just go to one of those euthanasia clinics if I dont die of an illness by then.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was pretty much born without that instinct Can't see how having kids would benefit me in any way tbh.
    Same! *high five*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i never want childern, i'm not maternal and find them rather displeasing so guinea pigs ftw

ReputationRep:
    The people who said they don't want kids, don't you think that you will be lonely when you are older and have no one to share life with? Personally I don't mind having to buy a bigger house if I can have the joy of having children around the house who make life a lot better. I consider myself very lucky to want to have children.

ReputationRep:
    No particular reason. I'm just not interested in it. I don't care for kids at all.
    I honestly think this is one of the many things that results from a teenage/young adult view of the world; those things our parents say we'll see differently when we're their age and turn out to be right. Something that - if you don't already have it now - will likely come as a result of having an older perspective on/experience of life. I don't think there's a lot of those things, but I think this might be one of them.

I mean, assuming you had a gameplan for how you'd spend your life without kids - work until retirement and either have a girlfriend or keep it casual, I'm sure at a certain age you'd want to settle down, with some kids, maybe grandkids. Even if that idea is laughable now, there's always the possibility you'll want it in the future. The single life isn't everything, and even the couple life can get boring.

ReputationRep:
    I want kids so i guess i will be unlucky :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone born with it? I've never had a particularly-great urge to have some kids, least of all not now, and the only people I've heard of who do dream about kids this early in life are immensely-hormonal teenage girls.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.