Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Outrage Over Martin Luther King Being Portrayed By A White Man watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The only people who care about this are lefties and black people. Cast the best actor for the role, black or white.
    To be fair, it is an extraordinary decision to cast someone of the wrong race to play a historical figure whose race is well-known and important to the story. But it isn't something to get angry about, or to make desperate political capital out off. It's just an odd casting decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    They were most likely to have been Caucasoid, as your picture shows, pretty similar to modern Europeans and as white as a Spaniard or Italian. They may have lacked blue eyes but so do the vast majority of Europeans. Brown-eyed people are in a majority across Europe, except for outposts like Ireland and Scotland.
    That picture is clearly not a white man. If that man went into a BNP meeting. Do think they'd see him as one of them ?

Jesus not a white man. I'm not saying he was a black, though he could have been. But he was not white

ReputationRep:
    It's like getting a man to play Emmeline Pankhurst.

I can;t get any more annoyed about it other than I think the people who cast him and the actor are twits.

Also it is in no way comparable to black man playing James Bond... There is no reason why James Bond has to be white. Race is central to any historically accurate portray of Martin Luther I would say.

ReputationRep:
    that's like having an African lady play Mrs Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Or Pamela Anderson playing Mandela

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    Its whitewashing - do u even know what Martin Luther King stood for? For people of his race to be recognized as people and this just does that opposite, and how can this 'white actor' even begin accurately portray MLK's struggles when they were mostly centered on race?
    Because he's acting. Michael Fassbender can play Steve Jobs despite never having been Steve Jobs, Chiwetel Ejiofor can play Solomon Northup without having been a slave for even a day.

I would say it's strange to cast a white actor as MLK but no more offensive than if a black person was to be cast as Jesus or Winston Churchill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePaul353535)
    That picture is clearly not a white man. If that man went into a BNP meeting. Do think they'd see him as one of them ?

Jesus not a white man. I'm not saying he was a black, though he could have been. But he was not white
    Who cares what the BNP thinks? Frankly, if someone is caucasoid or semitic he is white as far as I am concerned. Dark, maybe, but near enough. Who cares, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    The director cast two actors - one with dark skin, one with light - for the role. I think they alternate or something.

If you think skin colour is important, this is a (big) deal.

If you don't, then it isn't.

Maybe that's the point of the director's decision?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, it is an extraordinary decision to cast someone of the wrong race to play a historical figure whose race is well-known and important to the story. But it isn't something to get angry about, or to make desperate political capital out off. It's just an odd casting decision.
    If we think beneath the surface though a lot of directors like theirs shows to have a meaning. If this play was symbolic of anti-racism then even a story about a black guy can be used as a symbol in countries like South Africa or Zimbabwe where people are racist to whites, even the government.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus may have been a black man.

But he for sure did not look like this

The above picture of Jesus is dangerous and wrong.Dangerous because of the part White Jesus has played in dehumanizing people of colour, through racism. A white man with blue eyes ? Living in the middle east ? At that ? Yeah right. He'd have stuck out like a sore thumb, but the above pic is how he is often depicted

Truth is Jesus most likely looked like this

That is what Jewish men from Jesus’s time and place generally looked like. One had his appearance forensically reconstructed for the BBC in 2001 (pictured above).

Yeah I'll give that one

Judas Iscariot was not white

On Radio ?
    The issue you have raised here is mainly a product of how most of the global film industry comes out of the US and Europe, which are white majority as well as white dominated, and that's without considering how WASP-ish acting schools are. This leads to a lack of decent non-white actors. If Nollywood was the biggest centre for film on the planet I expect we would see far more black people playing white characters.

What with Christianity having gone global but without a globally centralised administration, the Jesus thing is actually a fantastic analogue of what would happen if films were made in places other than Hollywood. You show us a picture of "White Jesus", but in fact each race depicts Jesus as a member of their race. You get oriental Jesus, black Jesus etc.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what the BNP thinks? Frankly, if someone is caucasoid or semitic he is white as far as I am concerned. Dark, maybe, but near enough. Who cares, anyway?
    Well obviously you care, because the thought of a black Jesus turns your stomach. Doesn't it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    I would cast Moira Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Jesus may have been a black man.

oh my !! it looks as if He is having a bad hair day :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously you care, because the thought of a black Jesus turns your stomach. Doesn't it ?
    No. Why would it? I'm not even convinced he ever existed. If he did he is unlikely to have been black but I wouldn't care if he were.

ReputationRep:
    Cmon how can the actor be a white guy playing MLK. Damn stupid

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'd agree, but in this case I do think the decision was just a bit stupid...

MLK was a real black man, whose entire life story centred about (his) race. How can you convey his journey through a non-black man? I don't think you can. Not accurately, anyway.

James Bond should be played by a white (male) actor, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)

James Bond should be played by a white (male) actor, though.
    Why!?

Bond gets iterated over and over and is made to fit with the modern world/Britain.

Why are you not complaining with the modern Bond film obsession with Snowden era cyber snooping subject matter?

Jame Bond is all about Cold War spies! Wagh! Wah!

ReputationRep:
    That's a drawing of Ian Fleming's Bond. Not a real person.

I'm talking about real people

Name me a white man or women, of significance that walked this planet, but was played by a black person ?

Good luck with that
    kojak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Why!?

Bond gets iterated over and over and is made to fit with the modern world/Britain.

Why are you not complaining with the modern Bond film obsession with Snowden era cyber snooping subject matter?

Jame Bond is all about Cold War spies! Wagh! Wah!
    Why don't we make James Bond a black transgender woman who solves her problems with her feelings instead of using a gun?

Oh yeah, that'll make a great movie. Tumblr will have a field day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Why don't we make James Bond a black transgender woman who solves her problems with her feelings instead of using a gun?

Oh yeah, that'll make a great movie. Tumblr will have a field day.
    Bond being a secret agent who has a license to kill (using guns perhaps) is a central part of being Bond. So using their feelings to solve spy problems clearly wouldn't work that well. Someone could make it but I don;t think ti would be very good. It is however not at all comparable. Stop being so over dramatic.

We live in modern multicultural country. A black person can be just as British as a white dude.

As to whether Bond should ever be another gender? :beard:

I dunno. I wouldn't loose sleep if someone made a female bond. Would be like a female spider man I guess. It is art after all, it could be interesting. You can make your films and someone else can make their transgender spy thrillers.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.