Turn on thread page Beta

Big Dave attacks his local council for making cuts. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    I don't disagree that the Conservatives are unpopular; they are with me. They aren't even a proper Tory party when it comes to big issues like the EU for example.

However, when people then see Labour as the solution...it just shows how silly they really are. When it comes to having the best interests of the public at heart Labour are just as much backed by the 1% as the Tories. They both are in favour of globalisation, deregulation, low taxes for the rich, mass immigration, selling off the entire country if possible, ideally at such low prices the taxpayer gets shafted, etc. They are both the same in that regard. Don't get me wrong I would prefer the Tories though. At least they recognise public opinion so decided to offer a referendum, etc.
    You're starting to sound like a Green voter who doesn't vote Green because of his/her fear of immigrants and terrorists.

There are ways to respond in a different manner, e.g. why are people trying so hard to move country, why are those terrorists being terrorists etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    You're starting to sound like a Green voter who doesn't vote Green because of his/her fear of immigrants and terrorists.

There are ways to respond in a different manner, e.g. why are people trying so hard to move country, why are those terrorists being terrorists etc.
    The Green party stand where on the deficit? Where on benefits? Where on taxes? Where on national defence? Oh, on the side of loonies and lazy people.

You call it "fear" of immigrants, no I just don't work so that someone else can claim dole and use the public services I want. And since the council don't pay for my home, I don't want them pushing housing prices up. I guess the left don't care about how it will stop them getting a job-they probably don't actually want one.

Again, I don't work so others don't have to. Hilarious how you call it "fear" of immigrants-if staying in the EU and paying £55 million a day of taxpayers money, all so we can be flooded with the third world is unreasonable then well you are talking to a leechy leftie.

Like Natalie Bennett will solve anything. Just see her car crash interview on housing. She is typical of the left-all talk, no action, no way of putting in to place her plans even if she borrows all the money under the sun.

ReputationRep:
    The Green party stand where on the deficit? Where on benefits? Where on taxes? Where on national defence? Oh, on the side of loonies and lazy people.

You call it "fear" of immigrants, no I just don't work so that someone else can claim dole and use the public services I want. And since the council don't pay for my home, I don't want them pushing housing prices up. I guess the left don't care about how it will stop them getting a job-they probably don't actually want one.

Again, I don't work so others don't have to. Hilarious how you call it "fear" of immigrants-if staying in the EU and paying £55 million a day of taxpayers money, all so we can be flooded with the third world is unreasonable then well you are talking to a leechy leftie.

Like Natalie Bennett will solve anything. Just see her car crash interview on housing. She is typical of the left-all talk, no action, no way of putting in to place her plans even if she borrows all the money under the sun.
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Do you seriously believe this? I mean where do you get your information? The proportion of immigrants on benefits is way, way, WAY below the proportion of Brits on benefits. If your main worry id that immigrants will come over here and claim money without working then you need a serious education. The VAST majority of immigrants make a heavily beneficial contribution to our society. Certain sectors, such as the NHS would crumble without the presence of foreign workers.

ReputationRep:
    The council leader should have written a letter back saying we have more people in jobs than ever before, thanks to making the tough decisions that are right for the economy. We want to move from a low pay, high tax, high benefit economy, to a high pay, low tax and low benefit economy.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered whether Tories were willfully ignorant of the harm their policies caused or whether they were actually that vindictive and amoral not to give a damn about the potential consequences.

Well i guess that letter answered my question...

I wonder if any right wingers on here will try to claim that the Tories aren't woefully out of touch.

The very cheek of the PM complaining to the council about the effects of his own policies. This is daily mash worthy. In fact, I can't believe that this is real. The lack of awareness is truly staggering. It almost makes Osborne's omnishambles over the implementation of tax credit cuts look level-headed.

How on earth is this man in charge of our country!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    We want to move from a low pay, high tax, high benefit economy, to a high pay, low tax and low benefit economy.
    What a load of drivel.

Cameron's full original letter:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/289244432/Cameron-s-Letter

Here's the Councilor's response:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/289246678/...ter-to-Cameron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    My local Labour council is cutting back on services left right and centre but everyone living here still votes for them
    What on Earth does this have to do with my post? Or anything for that matter.

- Dave moaned about cuts that he himself made necessary.
    - He suggested council assets be sold off for the shortfall in running costs (which not only isn't sustainable, it is actually illegal).
    - He offered up government advisers, breaking the ministerial code.

The man is an incompetent moron, what Dave just did wouldn't be out of place a ****ing sitcom. And still the Tory dominated media won't pull a hatchet job on him. When eating a bacon sandwich incorrectly was enough for them to go after Miliband. Dave acts like a moron, ****s a pig and gets away with it.

ReputationRep:

You put inverted commas around "fear" without really explaining why you were not in fear of immigration...

You also show absolutely no curiosity about why immigration is happening...

You may very well have points about some of the other things, I'm just saying that you don't appear to possess much curiosity.

For example have you ever looked at age maps? What is happening actually is that the proportions of old people in countries is wildly unbalanced. Immigration is almost a liquid counter-reaction. If you slosh the water to one end of the bath, it will inevitably slosh back.

Shouting at immigrants is like shouting at water, when viewed in this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    You put inverted commas around "fear" without really explaining why you were not in fear of immigration...

You also show absolutely no curiosity about why immigration is happening...

You may very well have points about some of the other things, I'm just saying that you don't appear to possess much curiosity.

For example have you ever looked at age maps? What is happening actually is that the proportions of old people in countries is wildly unbalanced. Immigration is almost a liquid counter-reaction. If you slosh the water to one end of the bath, it will inevitably slosh back.

Shouting at immigrants is like shouting at water, when viewed in this way.
    Shows the deluded green party politics you preach. You seem to be under the completely ridiculous view that you can't stop migrants. We are an island. Securing the borders is easy enough.

It speaks volumes that you think immigration policy is like being in a bath. You don't seem to udnerstand that yes, you CAN stop immigration.

I am not curious, it is not my problem. These countries need to sort themselves out. "Curious"? No, be pragmatic.The left needs to be more realistic and pragmatic.

The left on here; when will they learn that the public laugh at them for their stupid views. Well when Corbyn gets them battered next election it will be too late, they will be gone for good. They are already halfway out the door, they can take their bathtub immigration policies with them.

ReputationRep:
    Shows the deluded green party politics you preach. You seem to be under the completely ridiculous view that you can't stop migrants. We are an island. Securing the borders is easy enough.

It speaks volumes that you think immigration policy is like being in a bath. You don't seem to udnerstand that yes, you CAN stop immigration.

I am not curious, it is not my problem. These countries need to sort themselves out. "Curious"? No, be pragmatic.The left needs to be more realistic and pragmatic.

The left on here; when will they learn that the public laugh at them for their stupid views. Well when Corbyn gets them battered next election it will be too late, they will be gone for good. They are already halfway out the door, they can take their bathtub immigration policies with them.
    That must be boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looseseal)
    I've always wondered whether Tories were willfully ignorant of the harm their policies caused or whether they were actually that vindictive and amoral not to give a damn about the potential consequences.

Well i guess that letter answered my question...

I wonder if any right wingers on here will try to claim that the Tories aren't woefully out of touch.

The very cheek of the PM complaining to the council about the effects of his own policies. This is daily mash worthy. In fact, I can't believe that this is real. The lack of awareness is truly staggering. It almost makes Osborne's omnishambles over the implementation of tax credit cuts look level-headed.

How on earth is this man in charge of our country!?
    Corbyn didn't even mention the EU or the deficit in his Labour party conference speech. An hour to speak and these were not even referred to at all. Talk about out of touch. As for his view on immigration-"all immigration is good immigration" my lord so out of touch. His view on benefits? Same-out of touch. Terrorism? The same-he loves them. Trident? The same. Monetary policy, fiscal policy-just so out of touch.

Cameron is out of touch, of that there is no doubt, but Labour electing a leader that is even worse just lets him off the hook. The left have only themselves to blame here sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-services.html

COMEDY GOLD.

How do the Tories here feel about this?

Edit:

Cameron's full original letter:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/289244432/Cameron-s-Letter

Here's the Councilor's response:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/289246678/...ter-to-Cameron
    As a Tory and a citizen in Oxfordshire I find this quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    It does make you wonder though... Who is this "strong economy" really benefiting?

The government's job isn't to run the country like a company and thus treat a surplus as some kind of profit margin they must meet to appease the shareholders. The government's job is to run the country for the benefit of the inhabitants through ensuring they have a safe and enriching environment to live their lives.

I think there's a real disconnect between what this current government think their remit is and what they should actually be trying to accomplish. They can't seem to see past the datasheet - Osborne's "judgement call" regarding the tax credit cuts was proof of this... I just wonder what state the country will be in by the time we get to the next GE in 2020

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn didn't even mention the EU or the deficit in his Labour party conference speech. An hour to speak and these were not even referred to at all. Talk about out of touch. As for his view on immigration-"all immigration is good immigration" my lord so out of touch. His view on benefits? Same-out of touch. Terrorism? The same-he loves them. Trident? The same. Monetary policy, fiscal policy-just so out of touch.

Cameron is out of touch, of that there is no doubt, but Labour electing a leader that is even worse just lets him off the hook. The left have only themselves to blame here sadly.
    I'm sorry, did I mention Corbyn anywhere in my post?

Also, what does Corbyn supposedly being out of touch have to do with this specific thread? We're talking about the abject incompetence of our current PM. A PM who seems to get off lightly for almost every single misdeed he commits. If this had been a Labour PM writing this letter, we'd never hear the end of it. And for good reason - this letter is almost unbelievable. For a sitting PM to have such little awareness of the outcomes of their own policies but then to also write a bloody letter to their council. It beggars belief.

That being said, I'm not sure Corbyn has said ever said those exact words so using quotation marks to suggest he has is extremely disingenuous. That being said, he has commented on the benefits of multiculturalism (which can be seen as a promotion of immigration) but also stressed that strategic failings by the government to provide sufficient resources for health, education and housing causes much of the woes felt by "excessive" immigration.

Edit: Forgot to address your other criticisms of Corbyn but don't think I'll bother to be honest. You seem to have a penchant for hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, did I mention Corbyn anywhere in my post?

Also, what does Corbyn supposedly being out of touch have to do with this specific thread? We're talking about the abject incompetence of our current PM. A PM who seems to get off lightly for almost every single misdeed he commits. If this had been a Labour PM writing this letter, we'd never hear the end of it. And for good reason - this letter is almost unbelievable. For a sitting PM could have such little awareness of the outcomes of their own policies but then to also write a bloody letter to their council. It beggars belief.

That being said, I'm not sure Corbyn has said ever said those exact words so using quotation marks to suggest he has is extremely disingenuous. That being said, he has commented on the benefits of multiculturalism (which can be seen as a promotion of immigration) but also stressed that strategic failings by the government to provide sufficient resources for health, education and housing causes much of the woes felt by "excessive" immigration.

Edit: Forgot to address your other criticisms of Corbyn but don't think I'll bother to be honest. You seem to have a penchant for hyperbole.
    I'm sorry, you can cry about Cameron being out of touch but he is still the least out of touch. So that is the relevance, pretty obvious really.

So what does it have to do with this thread? Well he isn't as out of touch as his competition and THAT is why he won't get criticised as much as you lot on here are all hoping for far too much. Complain all you like, it won't stop him being PM.
    I should have thought it was obvious what the relevance was.

Oh look, I also explained your "getting off" comment-no it isn't a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory-the left never stop with them. No, Cameron won't get hammered for this because he is the least out of touch option still out of the big two. Farage & Sturgeon are the only two seen to be remotely in touch in the UK and Scotland respectively.

No, Corbyn really did say "all immigration has been good immigration". Something so similar in any case. Just because you don't like the "I have eliminated boom and bust" from Brown before the crash and now Corbyn's "all immigration is good immigration" before this migrant crisis doesn't mean it is disingenuous,

You seem to have a penchant for conspiracy theories. I love reading them. It always is hilarious. Yes, evil Dave wins elections because of the evil media. Sure. Whatever helps the left convince themselves that the reason they lose isn't because they are insane.

ReputationRep:
    It does make you wonder though... Who is this "strong economy" really benefiting?

The government's job isn't to run the country like a company and thus treat a surplus as some kind of profit margin they must meet to appease the shareholders. The government's job is to run the country for the benefit of the inhabitants through ensuring they have a safe and enriching environment to live their lives.

I think there's a real disconnect between what this current government think their remit is and what they should actually be trying to accomplish. They can't seem to see past the datasheet - Osborne's "judgement call" regarding the tax credit cuts was proof of this... I just wonder what state the country will be in by the time we get to the next GE in 2020
    I will have a job and won't have paid much tax. I don't use the services cut so I actually am quite happy really. I also wonder, but not worry wonder (as evidenced by your face). I think by then we will be out of Europe which is great to!

ReputationRep:

You're not pragmatic. You're short termist, as anyone who sanctions a party who has cut DEFRA as savagely as the Tories recently have must be.

The left doesn't "need" to do anything. In fact, if Tory policy is required to get into power, power isn't worth it.

Yeah, that's right, principles, which you clearly don't have, which is probably why you describe such people as "deluded"; you simply cannot comprehend the concept of being principled.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, you can cry about Cameron being out of touch but he is still the least out of touch. So that is the relevance, pretty obvious really.

So what does it have to do with this thread? Well he isn't as out of touch as his competition and THAT is why he won't get criticised as much as you lot on here are all hoping for far too much. Complain all you like, it won't stop him being PM.
    I should have thought it was obvious what the relevance was.

Oh look, I also explained your "getting off" comment-no it isn't a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory-the left never stop with them. No, Cameron won't get hammered for this because he is the least out of touch option still out of the big two. Farage & Sturgeon are the only two seen to be remotely in touch in the UK and Scotland respectively.

No, Corbyn really did say "all immigration has been good immigration". Something so similar in any case. Just because you don't like the "I have eliminated boom and bust" from Brown before the crash and now Corbyn's "all immigration is good immigration" before this migrant crisis doesn't mean it is disingenuous,

You seem to have a penchant for conspiracy theories. I love reading them. It always is hilarious. Yes, evil Dave wins elections because of the evil media. Sure. Whatever helps the left convince themselves that the reason they lose isn't because they are insane.
    Good lord. There's so many strawmen arguments in your reply I don't even know where to start.

Once again, Corbyn didn't say that - you can keep on repeating it all you like but it doesn't make it any more true a statement. It seems for some reason in politics, the paraphrased quote of a politician often becomes assumed fact - devoid of any context. Also, I don't even know how Gordon Brown came in this discussion. It seems that if a person dares to criticise the Tory government they suddenly get attributed to being some kind of Labourite. Not every one is tribal as you'd like to think.

The existence of that letter alone should merit ridicule from all sides of an "unbiased" media regardless of the behaviour of the opposition leader. As a previous poster mentioned, that letter is the kind of thing you'd expect in a sitcom or comedy sketch show. I've always thought Cameron to be a relatively smart man but the fact he wrote that letter makes definitely makes me question that assertion. The media should be all over this like a rash but yet they seem to be sitting on their hands, quietly tip-toeing around the story, more intent on calculating whether the angle of Corbyn's bow was deep enough or if he knelt to an archaic relic of the country's past.

In all honesty, to suggest there isn't a media bias is nothing short of ludicrous. Just take a look at the major newspapers/media outlets, their circulation numbers and then their political leanings. It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion there's exists a media bias. That being said, I would've thought the amount of vitriol levelled at both Milliband and more recently Corbyn would have made that much more apparent. You seem to have a wilful disregard to look at issues critically.

ReputationRep:
    I will have a job and won't have paid much tax. I don't use the services cut so I actually am quite happy really. I also wonder, but not worry wonder (as evidenced by your face). I think by then we will be out of Europe which is great to!
    Mate, I'm checking out of this argument now. It has become quite clear you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Most people have put forward rainy robust arguments and you just keep flailing about saying Corbyn, public, deficit, immigrants. You've not once come out with anything we can maturely debate with, I've tried several times, but I guess I'm giving up on you. Unfortunately I feel this is why the conservatives won, there are just too many people that believe what they want no matter how often they are proved wrong. Who knows what'll. happen in 2020, I just hope you get a bit of an education and grow up a bit before then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightwing_)
    Mate, I'm checking out of this argument now. It has become quite clear you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Most people have put forward rainy robust arguments and you just keep flailing about saying Corbyn, public, deficit, immigrants. You've not once come out with anything we can maturely debate with, I've tried several times, but I guess I'm giving up on you. Unfortunately I feel this is why the conservatives won, there are just too many people that believe what they want no matter how often they are proved wrong. Who knows what'll. happen in 2020, I just hope you get a bit of an education and grow up a bit before then.
    My feelings as well. There are several posters on this site who are right-leaning and can come up with well-sourced and coherent arguments. Unfortunately, this poster doesn't seem to be one of them...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.