Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatespirometers)
    It is reflected by your grades.

Bull
    play nicely children

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    For my English, Edexcel iGCSE Language A and Literature (Of Mice and Men, A View From The Bridge), we don't need to do coursework, and these are the exams I find the most difficult because it's so subjective that revising facts and technique is really difficult and almost cannot be done, there are only so many past papers to do, heavily limiting the ability to learn of practice. For those essay plans, what did they entail, and how did you revise quotes for the exams, that's proving difficult for me? How did you revise Language exam technique, as well? My teacher hasn't done very much on how the exams work, and we're effectively being thrown into the mock exam having done half a Language past paper, any advice would be very useful!
    This is probably late for your mocks (sorry I've been off tsr for a while) but hope it's helpful for the real exams tbh I didn't really have a method for learning quotes I just tried to learn the ones I thought I would use in essays and ended up remembering them because I knew the relevant analysis I would write. However I know some people used memrise.com making their own course or put up post it notes around their room. Basically for essay plans I used to plan how many paragraphs I'd be able to write in the time limit and think of a topic for each one. So for each paragraph for each character/theme i'd think of a few points and relevant quotes (+analysis for them) and then I'd be able to expand on all this in the exam. (Pm me if you want any examples because I did both of those books) One thing that's helpful for language exam technique is to read the examiner's reports etc because then you get an idea of what kind of response they're looking for. I think there are also quite a lot of good videos on YouTube for GCSE English language in terms of exam technique etc made by teachers which I found helpful and are worth checking out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FirstclassFlyerr)
    i think i did very well and atleast got into my favourite college course of a join BTEC (Level 3 of course) in Djing and bartending. i received a grand total of 3 gcse's out of a total of 23 which were a D in gossip skills, C in drama, and a fantastic A in Paranormal Studies (one of my favourites)
    Yes thank you that's great advice (and I have a G.C.S.E. in sarcasm)
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    A*ABBBBCCCD. Not great, but good enough. if I recall correctly, I revised a lot for maths although, I had no choice since we had a mock paper every Friday in yr 11. The whole year had to line up outside and sit the paper on a Friday for 1hr 45mins -_- and if you got below a C, you had to complete 'mymaths' work on the computer as extra homework. I did quite a bit of revision for English lit because I always struggled with it.
    Didn't revise too much for the rest though.
    I would have loved all those maths papers. I'd try and see how many I could cheat on. Those results are great (minus the D).
    (Original post by fii_xox)
    what the hell :'they're not even G.C.S.E.s! L.O.L.... or are they?
    Another good tip is correct spelling punctuation and grammar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Yes thank you that's great advice (and I have a G.C.S.E. in sarcasm)
    I would have loved all those maths papers. I'd try and see how many I could cheat on. Those results are great (minus the D).
    Another good tip is correct spelling punctuation and grammar.
    TSR actually corrected it, seriously. I don't know why :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    5A*s, 6As 1B
    For sciences I made summary revision notes for each topic condensed to 1 side of A4 which I pretty much memorised, watched a load of mygcsescience and did a few past papers to practise. My revision guides were my best friends.
    For maths I didn't really work hard enough during the 2 years and kind of coasted along, but when it got to near the exam I used to watch the cgp maths tutor videos to revise as well as those achieve maths videos on YouTube where they talk you through each past paper and then I did some past papers to practise.
    For geography/RS I used to make flash cards of all the content, and concentrated loads on exam technique so I had done pretty much every past exam question and knew what to write for it in the exam as questions got repeated a lot.
    Languages- came pretty naturally so didn't really do a lot of revision, just made sure I was confident w grammar and tenses, I'd built up a pretty good vocab over the 2 years
    English- try your absolute hardest in the controlled assessments, I had 100% in most of mine so it took off pressure for the exams, for lit I made essay plans and learnt my quotes whereas for Lang I just made sure I knew exam technique really well
    art - ace your coursework and try to do well in the exam even though you're revising for other stuff by this point and don't have time to dedicate your life to your sketchbook
    Music - did nearly no work over 2 years and my teacher couldn't be bothered to teach the course, hence I got a B, my lowest grade, in music. Try and do as well as possible in the coursework, for the exam I made little mind map summary notes which helped and there was a really good revision guide for the edexcel spec someone called Dan Conway posted on here, which is still on the 2014-15 edexcel GCSE music thread I think, so use that (lifesaver for the exam considering I hadn't been taught any of it in class). also, past papers are really helpful for music as questions get repeated a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What exam technique did you have for the English exams, they're my weakest subjects, and I need anything at all to help me! Anything to put me in the top bands!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    This is probably late for your mocks (sorry I've been off tsr for a while) but hope it's helpful for the real exams tbh I didn't really have a method for learning quotes I just tried to learn the ones I thought I would use in essays and ended up remembering them because I knew the relevant analysis I would write. However I know some people used memrise.com making their own course or put up post it notes around their room. Basically for essay plans I used to plan how many paragraphs I'd be able to write in the time limit and think of a topic for each one. So for each paragraph for each character/theme i'd think of a few points and relevant quotes (+analysis for them) and then I'd be able to expand on all this in the exam. (Pm me if you want any examples because I did both of those books) One thing that's helpful for language exam technique is to read the examiner's reports etc because then you get an idea of what kind of response they're looking for. I think there are also quite a lot of good videos on YouTube for GCSE English language in terms of exam technique etc made by teachers which I found helpful and are worth checking out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! That's been so helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    What exam technique did you have for the English exams, they're my weakest subjects, and I need anything at all to help me! Anything to put me in the top bands!
    for language... insert a quote; say how this is intended to make the reader feel etc. Just use your imagination. you can write basically anything as long as you can find proof in the text to back it up.
    Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    3 A*s, 3 As, 7 Bs with a few months of casual note taking and about 1 month of serious revision. I was absolutely gutted with my results, I had the potential to get all A*s and As but my laziness cost me big time. Don't make the mistake I did and allow distractions to take over essential revision time. Get your head down, work hard. It will pay off.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I got 4A*s 5As and 2Bs and only revised a couple of days before each exam, I like the panic of cramming. Though I probably would have done better had I revised for longer so it's annoying really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A*A*AAABBBBB

Did revise yes, and did a lot of past papers especially for maths and sciences. I would advise you to revise the content and theory, and then move on with ample time to practice the past papers. Mark them after and any ones you got one you have a look over the topic and notes again!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    2A* - English and English Lit. Ironic thing is, my school hadn't offered classes for either of these. The whole grade set is 2A*3A4B. Terrible year (people passed away etc), I paid absolutely zero attention in class, didn't know what the heck the teacher was saying.

But hey, picked myself up at A-Level, now predicted A*A*A*A

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    As if this was 6 years ago now I'm old :'(

I got 7A*'s in the 3 sciences, both English, history and geography, 1A in Maths and 3B's in ICT, Graphics and Spanish.

Science I just crammed from the good 'ol AQA textbooks, history I made mindmaps and stuff a week or so before the exam and same for geography. Maths, every past paper ever, graphics, learned basically nothing and hoped for the best, Spanish, didn't revise and hoped for the best, ICT, not an exam so you know. I could have worked harder for ICT, but honestly it was so dull I just didn't care. Oh and English- English was always naturally my best subject and beyond remembering a couple of quotes I didn't really revise for that.

Tbh, I found GCSE's easy. A-levels, on the other hand...well they were ok, but Chemistry killed me a little inside :P

And now here I am in the final year of my Biology degree, currently sobbing over a Bacterial Pathogenesis exam I have tomorrow that I'm so not ready for!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's blagging their GCSEs on here, i got A*BBBCCDDD but me predicted grades for a level are A*AB

ReputationRep:
    6A*s, 5As.
    I revised quite a bit for my GCSEs.
    For the sciences I did AQA and I just memorised the their revision guides, they contained everything you needed to know for the exam.
    For maths, it was just a lot of past papers. It's the only way I think that's effective when revising for maths.
    English I did practice essays and read examiners reports of what they were looking for. I found that by offering alternative interpretations and unique interpretations I was able to score very highly in those papers.
    For most subjects I also make my own revision notes from my class notes and because I made them myself I took in a lot of information by just writing them.
    Post-it notes and flash cards were also a big help to remember facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkathryn08)
    For maths, it was just a lot of past papers. It's the only way I think that's effective when revising for maths.
    When do you suggest starting past papers for maths (and science)? My GCSEs are this year and I want to have an idea on when to start them without wasting them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X12)
    When do you suggest starting past papers for maths (and science)? My GCSEs are this year and I want to have an idea on when to start them without wasting them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I would say first for science make notes on all topics first and for maths definitely attempt textbook questions first before doing any past papers and ensure that you are able to those first.
    Then try a past paper and mark it and in the areas you are weak in and got wrong, try again and maybe if you feel like you need to, consolidate this be doing textbook questions on that topic again.
    Then try another past paper.
    I wouldn't worry too much about running out of past papers because if you do them all and go back to the first one again, you probably won't remember the answers but may possibly remember where you went wrong last time and improve on this the next time you do it. This was my system and it seemed to work out for me. Obviously, you don't want to be doing the same questions over and over again but there are other resources for questions like textbooks, mymaths and other online resources, I'd try these first before past papers. I can't really give you a timeframe as it's been a while since I sat mine and I don't really know what's out there in terms of resources right now but I hope this helps in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkathryn08)
    Well I would say first for science make notes on all topics first and for maths definitely attempt textbook questions first before doing any past papers and ensure that you are able to those first.
    Then try a past paper and mark it and in the areas you are weak in and got wrong, try again and maybe if you feel like you need to, consolidate this be doing textbook questions on that topic again.
    Then try another past paper.
    I wouldn't worry too much about running out of past papers because if you do them all and go back to the first one again, you probably won't remember the answers but may possibly remember where you went wrong last time and improve on this the next time you do it. This was my system and it seemed to work out for me. Obviously, you don't want to be doing the same questions over and over again but there are other resources for questions like textbooks, mymaths and other online resources, I'd try these first before past papers. I can't really give you a timeframe as it's been a while since I sat mine and I don't really know what's out there in terms of resources right now but I hope this helps in some way.
    Thanks! That's more than enough for me to go on. I appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A*AAAABBBC

Admittedly I didn't revise much before the exam... Like 5 mins before it... yeaaaaah don't do that... :P

ReputationRep:
    i just did my GCSE mocks i i revised for every subject the night before (i do not reccommend doing this). i made flashcards and highlighted all the important information (made it colourful) surprisingly after i written information down, most of it got retained in my head

ReputationRep:
    I didn't revise at all because I was a idiot so I got 2 A*'s 3 B's and 5 C's but I was happy with it

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.